| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stray cat, injury, tell me the worst and best
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:37 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I just arrived at my parents house yesterday. They take care of 4 stray cats outside. My dad told me that the on cat must have been attacked by an animal and is now missing part of his foot. If his foot was a human hand I'd say he's missing all fingers except the pointer and thumb, right down to the big knuckle. We're going to take him into the vet tomorrow (that out to be fun because he's semi-ferral) but please help me prepare, what is the best and worst-case scenarios? I'm worried that it has become infected and that the infection has traveled up his leg. Ugh, I don't know. It should be a tough day for all.

Post subject: Re: stray cat, injury, tell me the worst and best
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:42 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

best case, i'd say he needs a sturdy bandage that will need to be kept pretty dry and several weeks of regular antibiotics. given that he's a semi-feral stray, this is a pretty bad best case. worst case, expensive surgery to amputate the leg, or an infection that's gone systemic, or a strong recommendation for euthanasia.

i'm really, really sorry that you're in this position, but he's so lucky to have people like you looking out for him and making sure he doesn't suffer more than he has to.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

acr wrote:
best case, i'd say he needs a sturdy bandage that will need to be kept pretty dry and several weeks of regular antibiotics. given that he's a semi-feral stray, this is a pretty bad best case. worst case, expensive surgery to amputate the leg, or an infection that's gone systemic, or a strong recommendation for euthanasia.

i'm really, really sorry that you're in this position, but he's so lucky to have people like you looking out for him and making sure he doesn't suffer more than he has to.

i second that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:18 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

acr wrote:

Yes, I feel this way, too. Thank you and let us know how things go at the vet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:00 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'd be nixing the bandaging idea unless it's very short term.. you have to ensure it is kept 110% dry, the cat is kept inside and you have to always be checking that the bandage is not too tight or you will have to amputate if the circulation were to get cut off... as well would you be able to give antibiotics, usually twice daily.

Amputation is sometimes not as expensive as one might think/nor an absolute worst case scenario.. however, how would the cat do outside after as a tripod? You would need to keep kitty inside for at least 10-14 days so he/she can recover as well, giving antibiotics.

Not an easy call. Thank you for looking out for this little one and good luck. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:18 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My dad and I took him, Junior, to the vet this morning. He is missing his 3rd and 4th digits and the bone is exposed. They did not need to fully sedate him as he was doing pretty well but they gave him a shot of pain killers with a small dose of sedatives. They also gave him a shot of antibiotics. No follow up pills. They cleaned it out really well and clipped some of the loose stuff. They ran a blood test and everything is fine. His white blood cell count was normal. If it was high it would be a sign of a systemic infection. He also had no fever. He is staying in the garage for a bit to give the tissue time to heal over and cover the wound (which has already started).

On the other hand, I am being blamed by my mom for initiating the vet appointment that cost $211 and I was told that they (aka just my mom) are not going to do anything more for the outdoor cats. She doesn't understand that if you take care of strays you also resume the responsibility for medical issues as well. And of course when I mentioned that I think it would be different if Buddy was hurt (another stray cat who is affectionate and let's you hold him) she said "that's different". I made all of these feelings known and also told her that if she did not want to be responsible for medical coverage to stray cats then she needs to not have gotten involved to begin with. Guess that means they won't be taking him back to the vet on Monday as the dr. requested. Sorry if I sound like a bisque, it just really peas me off.. all comes back to cuddly animals= good, do everything you can to help "food" animals or semi-ferral animals = oh well sucks for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

It's so great to hear that he's okay!! I've fed several ferals off and on through the years and their situation really tugs on my heartstrings.

I would suggest, though, considering going easy on your parents. I think it's wonderful that they're taking care of some animals who need help in whatever capacity they are able to. I have provided food and outside shelter to some ferals (who were feral enough to not let me near them), but don't necessarily think that translates to total responsibility for them--if it did, I probably wouldn't feed them because I simply can't full responsibility for the care of every stray cat that lives in my neighborhood. I get where you're coming from--it's a very, very sad situation, but I think it's better to encourage people who are willing to help than to disparage them for not doing enough. Bummer that she came down on you for the vet bill, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:13 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am glad the kitty will be ok - from your first post I wouldn't have expected such a good outcome.

You and your family really did alot more than most other people would. I work with ferals too and really it sometimes seems like no one cares about them.

I'm sorry that they think the vet bill was your fault- it might have been a bit of a knee jerk reaction due to the unplanned expense.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if they changed their minds and softened a bit in a few weeks.

But even if they don't you were able to help this one cat and from the cat's point of view that was an enormous show of generosity .

Good thoughts to you, your family and of course the cat who I hope recovers soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:22 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

aww! i'm glad to hear he's ok. sorry they are freaking out about the bill, but at least you got him looked at!

Our cat Nero who we've had for 8 years now came to us by limping in the back door one day when it was open. He just came right into the house, so we took him to the vet and he had been hit by a car and his leg was broken in 3 places requiring surgery. the vet gave us a discount, but it was still $1200 followed by a long recovery process. he's been our little buddy ever since!