| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mama's got a brand new boo! Meet Goji!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm not sure about the quiet thing. One of my cats used to be feral and she makes a lot of noise, but not meowing, it's more of a noise she makes from her throat. The other was a stray but she was clearly very used to humans and is super quiet unless you are trying to hold her (and then she screams bloody murder) so I have no idea!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26 pm 

I've had very talkative and very quiet cats. When I was little, I don't think I ever heard our cat Rose ever say a single thing. She was too refined for such nonsense (I assume).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56 am 
WELFARIST!

Goji's doing great. And I spoke too soon, she's turning out to be talkative! Right now, she has the cutest little plaintive kitten mew! ZOMG.

I've fed her out of my hand a couple of times now and it takes her some time to get brave enough to come over, but she does and eats. She bites my fingers! I should have fed her out of the palm of my hand but I switched to that last time mid-feed but she kept going for my fingers. I'll just try feeding her from my palm next time.

She escaped from her room for a brief spell this morning and ran around in a blind panic. Poor sweet pea! I corralled her back to her room after she quickly explored the place. She didn't run far into the living room though, but hopefully she saw perches and cat trees and she'll understand that she can get up there. It's sort of sad/funny seeing how unfamiliar and afraid she is of everyday objects around here. She's growing less afraid of toys though--which is a good thing. Still much work to be done with her and for her but she's doing great!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:42 pm 

Wow such good progress! How is Lovey doing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:14 am 
WELFARIST!

Lovey's doing pretty well. He's playing with his catnip cushions by the window right now and just finished breakfast. He still goes after the kitten a lot when I put them together but he's becoming a little more receptive and not instantly going into "jump her" mode they're stopping to sniff each other and stuff. This morning, first thing when he saw Goji, he pushed her down and started grooming her head. It's not sweet grooming yet though, still dominance grooming. Lovey's coming along though. Trying to give him some extra love and snuggles.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sounds like they are making good progress! Another thing you could try for anxiety is calming music. We use a cd in the shelter called "Through a Dog's Ear" made especially for pets. It definitely helps the dogs calm down and relax, so maybe it would work for cats too. (I have to turn off the cd when I'm working in the kennel because it makes me sleepy!) They do have a cat-specific one now, though I'm not sure what the difference is: http://throughadogsear.com/tace/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 am 
WELFARIST!

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Sounds like they are making good progress! Another thing you could try for anxiety is calming music. We use a cd in the shelter called "Through a Dog's Ear" made especially for pets. It definitely helps the dogs calm down and relax, so maybe it would work for cats too. (I have to turn off the cd when I'm working in the kennel because it makes me sleepy!) They do have a cat-specific one now, though I'm not sure what the difference is: http://throughadogsear.com/tace/

ZOMG, I gotta order this. I'm totally curious about it! This house is about to get wild with two very young kitties on the loose (one fourteen months, the other seven months).

Things are going very well. I'm petting Goji while she eats. Not saying she likes it and she squirms away from my hand most of the time but she starts to allow it and I even stroked her a bunch of times while she was eating and just little flinches from her, not whole body rearing backs as often. Coming much closer to me in general, daring to cautiously sniff here and there and obviously getting much more comfortable.

I'm more relaxed about her and Lovey's interactions, too. I've let them rough play some more over the past couple days and can see that Lovey's not going to hurt her, it's reciprocal play (taking turns chasing, no more aggressive posturing--other than Lovey still needing to pin and lick her head/bite her neck early in every morning encounter) a few hisses, squeals, squeaks and cries (all, I think from Goji--Lovey's a ninja when playing and mostly makes chirruping noises and trills whenever he does vocalize at any time and rarely meows) but it's going well. Still not leaving them together all day and still locking the kitten in my bedroom overnight while me and Lovey sleep on the couch, but I'm starting to see that things are definitely improving and getting more comfy and stable for all of us. They tuckered themselves out yesterday from their vigorous play and didn't create much of a disturbance last night, which was nice for my sleep!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:24 pm 

What's going on with Goji and Lovey lately? I was thinking about the two of them this morning while I was brushing my teeth!

EDIT: Sorry if that makes me sound like a creep and/or stalker!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 am 
WELFARIST!

^Not stalkerish! I'm happy to give an update! <3

They are doing great. They are together all the time now--except I still separate then when I go out for the time being. Will probably start leaving them alone for brief periods beginning later this week and see how that goes. No real catfight-y noises in days, very little/rare hissing and growling between them--only when they're playing intensely and nothing that I worry too much about anymore. Nice, reciprocal play between them, Lovey is grooming her (she is not grooming him--she seems to be staying in the "little sister" role) and they are sometimes sleeping close to each other but no cuddling. That's all right though--I actually don't think Lovey is a cuddling type cat.

I've ordered the "Through a Cat's Ear" through raspberry's link above. It hasn't arrived yet, but looking forward to receiving it and hope the kitties enjoy it.

Here's a couple of new pictures:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:28 am 

Eeeee!!! So cute!!! Look how big Lovey is now!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aw, they're so cute together!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks, guys! Things are still going well. I left them alone for the first time while I took the garbage out this morning (gone maybe five minutes) and I came back and everyone was still in one piece. Whew! I still don't think I'll leave them alone for longer than a short period of time for the next little while--they still play pretty vigorously with that rawr-rawr-rawr-rawr sort of wrestling noise when they get intensely into it and I just don't want them to cross from play-agression into aggression while I'm not home. But I think the worst is over. I swear, kitty integration is so stressful on me I was ready to start freebasing Feliway myself to cope! Har. Serenity now! Well, serenity has returned for me for the most part and I'm kind of glad to have my life back and not have my ears pricked for little unhappy kitty noises. Peace reigns once again!

Goji is still very skittish but I can handle her at feeding times and she even seems to want affection then (i.e., even when I'm washing their dishes to prep their food, she's coming around me waiting impatiently for her meal letting me pet her). She is tame enough at meal times so that I've even been able to trim her nails while she's eating. Of course, she squirms away but I can get the job done between bites and squirms. The next obstacle is to get her into her carrier next week for a vet visit for her follow up immunization shots. I think food will have to be involved to coax her in as it really is the best leverage to get her close to me at any time. I also think it's weird her hair isn't really growing back after her spaying so I want to ask the vet about that. Her patch of exposed skin on her belly looks so vulnerable.

Still waiting on the cat relaxation CD. I'm actually quite excited for it to arrive!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

That's so awesome that she's asking for affection! Sounds like she's decided that this is home.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Those pictures of Lovey and Goji have melted me. Soooooo sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37 am 

They're so cute! So happy they are getting along.