| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crusty dog nose
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Cuddles' nose is getting a bit dry and crusty on one side. It looks cracked and uncomfortable, even though he doesn't seem to mind me touching it.

Any ideas as to how to moisturize a dog nose? I'm not getting the best help from Google at the moment.

Post subject: Re: Crusty dog nose
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sable's nose got dry when she got older too. I used this stuff: http://www.naturaldogcompany.com/. It's made specifically for dry doggie noses. You can also rub some coconut oil on his nose, although he may lick it off before it has time to really soak in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you! Our vet said petroleum jelly was a good option too. I was just freakes out because Google was saying it might be kidney failure and other Very Bad Things.

I just gave him a bit of oil and will coconut him up in a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:29 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Molly has the same problem with her nose; when it first appeared I asked her vet, who said it's very common in older dogs and it's simply an overgrowth of those types of skin cells, which are akin to hooves. She said Vitamin E would help, but I've found a locally made product that looks like a chap stick and which has worked wonders in a couple of weeks. I would think even coconut oil would help. I imagine anything moisturizing and nourishing, as long as it's safe to be eaten, would work!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My dog Jordan had that problem when he got old. He lived for a few years after his nose got like that. We put vitamin E on it. I hope your dog feels alright.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the advice and the kind thoughts everyone <3 ! My friend who is a vet tech suggested just giving him a lot of extra oil. So we did, and it looks like his nose and the big scratches on his muzzle are clearing up.

I wonder if they also came about because everyone here has been salting so much this winter, that when he sniffs things, his delicate little nose comes in contact with very caustic salt.

It was really worrying for a while and I am so grateful for the PPK for sharing the wealth of experience and care for their pups and the concern. Its nice being part of a community that loves their animal friends so much.