| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Catbox issues? What are the cats trying to tell us?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My roommates have two large cats. One of them (or both of them?) has gotten into a very bad habit. He will pee on his parents' bed at least once a week. They're constantly washing the sheets.

One of them also pees (and poops!) on my bath mats about once a week or so. He's never peed directly on the floor, he'll always go on something, so if I take them away, he won't pee in the bathroom.

We've tried everything we can think of: bigger catbox, moving it to different locations, even getting a self-cleaning catbox. Nothing.

Experienced cat people! What is he (or they) trying to tell us? We're so tired of cleaning up after them and we love them so much!

Post subject: Re: Catbox issues? What are the cats trying to tell us?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Is the litter box clean (with fresh litter) when they do this? Are the cats getting enough attention? Enough play time?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Step one when you have a cat peeing in strange places is a trip to the vet to rule out an infection or blockage. If it hurts to pee, cats start to think that it's the litter box that causes the pain, so they avoid it.

How many litter boxes do they have? The general rule is 1 box for every cat plus an extra. So for one cat, two boxes. For two cats, three boxes.

If you can, move a litter box to the location where they're peeing, though that's not always possible.

Clean up old accidents with something intended for cat pee so there's no residual smell to attract the cat. And with the same idea, some people have good experience with cat attract litter which has appealing cat smell added to it.

And while you're trying all of this, make the old favorite spots inaccessible. Hang your bathmat on the shower/tub when you're not using it. Cover the bed with something (a plastic shower curtain works well) when you're not sleeping.

Also, my sincerest sympathies. One of my cats had a bed peeing habit for a long time, and it was terrible. His issue was definitely health related since there was lots of blood.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:45 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Both of my current cats had issues for years. One was definitely stress - she was the 4th cat living with our family. We worked to make her feel safe and gave her lots of attention, but it still was a long time before she stopped (and then she temporarily started again when we left a catsitter in charge for 10 days.) I think the other may have been part stress from the number of cats and part food allergy - it went on for years. He also vomited a lot, and when we finally discovered he had a grain allergy and moved to a grain-free diet, both issues stopped. That was also around the time that our 2 older cats died.

You can also use feliway and buy a special cat litter made for stress wetters that entices them to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm sincerely wondering if anyone has had a long term indoor cat that *didn't* go through this, as a phase or as a long term thing? It seems like all indoor cats do/have gone through this??

My boy first started having issues at age thirteen when our lives got turned upside down, so stress triggered, but......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

tofucheez wrote:
I'm sincerely wondering if anyone has had a long term indoor cat that *didn't* go through this, as a phase or as a long term thing? It seems like all indoor cats do/have gone through this??

My parents' cat hasn't ever done this. However, she vomits EVERYWHERE.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mollyjade wrote:

And while you're trying all of this, make the old favorite spots inaccessible. Hang your bathmat on the shower/tub when you're not using it. Cover the bed with something (a plastic shower curtain works well) when you're not sleeping.

Why didn't I think of that?

Also, thankfully, no blood here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:21 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

One of my cats will pee on anything that is left on the bathroom floor. Her (unshared) litter box is in there so it is not an access issue. She is vet-checked healthy, she just has something against anything being on the bathroom floor.

The bath mat is long gone but if you forget your towel, drop a sock, leave the spray bottle - pee. Once she peed on a large lego model one of the boys had left behind. I thought maybe she would outgrow it as she was very nervous when we got her, at age 4, but once in a while something gets left behind and she pees on it. She won't pee on the bare floor so I count it as one of her loveable quirks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Arisaig wrote:
One of my cats will pee on anything that is left on the bathroom floor. Her (unshared) litter box is in there so it is not an access issue. She is vet-checked healthy, she just has something against anything being on the bathroom floor.

The bath mat is long gone but if you forget your towel, drop a sock, leave the spray bottle - pee. Once she peed on a large lego model one of the boys had left behind. I thought maybe she would outgrow it as she was very nervous when we got her, at age 4, but once in a while something gets left behind and she pees on it. She won't pee on the bare floor so I count it as one of her loveable quirks.

She just wants to help your kids learn to pick up their things. So thoughtful!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

starrynight87 wrote:
tofucheez wrote:

My parents' cat hasn't ever done this. However, she vomits EVERYWHERE.

I've had indoor cats w/o pee problems, but I'm sure being kept inside is stressful for some cats and triggers it.

Re vomiting - again, check for food allergies!