| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you and your pets beat cabin fever?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The weather has been gross and we're going a little stir-crazy here. People have given up on shoveling sidewalks, so they are impassable and we can't walk, unless I want to walk in the middle of a busy road, which I really don't! I had been playing fetch out in the yard, but there is so much wet, heavy snow out there now that the dogs can't really run in it. Today I let Tegan out in the yard, and she just stood there and stared at me until I let her back in. So I was wondering what sort of indoor games everyone else does for doggies (or other pets) when the weather is yucky.

We have been using food dispensing toys a lot. And I've been doing training sessions with Tegan in the house (we've been working on sit and down stays, recalls, off leash heeling, and targeting (touching a fly swatter with her nose!)). Today I put broomsticks on chair rungs to make jumps and taught her to jump over. I'm trying to do stuff that involves physical exercise, but I'm running out of ideas! Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: How do you and your pets beat cabin fever?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hide and seek? Ask her to wait, hide, and call for her. Only works if she actually comes when called.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I tried hide and seek once, and she spent 10 minutes running back and forth looking for me, even though I was about 2 feet away from her in the open bathroom doorway. Eventually I had to wave my arms so she would see me. It was pretty sad. I could probably play it with Basko, though. He knows how to track people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

do they like tug toys? my boy goes nutso when I bring out the tug rope. but he could pull my shoulder out of the socket, so it only comes out when I'm feeling *really* ready for his enthusiasm for it. oh, my point being, that it can be a good indoor energy burner.

and a riff on the hide n seek..... hide one of your pups' toys around the house and have them find it. If they know their toys by name (Frisbee, ball, etc) you can hide them all at the same time then ask them to retrieve the one you ask for. if they don't know them by name, being cooped up inside is a good time to teach them, I mean, if you want to :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have a long enough hallway to play fetch with the puppies. I like the hide and go seek idea!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We play fetch and use puzzle toys. Then Bonnie has her favorite 'chase the cat' game. I can't wait till the snow melts and she wants to play in the yard again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

blondiefk wrote:
Then Bonnie has her favorite 'chase the cat' game.

Maybe I should get Tegan a cat!

We're going out now to brave the slush and see if we can find a clear path to walk on. Tegan has spent the morning jumping up and barking at every little sound. I need to tire her out! I'll put her backpack on to weight her down a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well that was not fun. The sidewalk was all packed down snow and ice. I was sliding all over the place. I turned down a side street, because the sidewalk there looked clear, but it was only clear for a few houses and then we were climbing over snowbanks. I wanted to turn left at the end of the street and walk around the block, but there were giant snowbanks heaped up at the end and I couldn't get through. We had to turn down another side street which was also only partially shoveled. I gave up and went home. Indoor games it is!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

sorry RC! Is there an indoor doggy daycare (that you are comfortable with) nearby? Even if its only for a day it would help relieve some of that built up energy.

There is one (and only one!) doggy daycare I would let my boy stay at, and its hella expensive (for me anyway....) at 25 dollars a day. But the dogs get a lot of activity and social time.

Another thing you could do is go to big hardware stores, like Home Depot. Ovbiously it's not exercise, per se, but it gets them out and walking around and mentally stimulated. And the employees LOVE having dogs come in. I"ve always got some DIY project going on so my pupper and I are in there a couple of times a week. Going around the whole store looking for what I need to get can take an hour (mostly because everyone stops to pet him and tell me stories about their dogs. People who would never normally strike up a conversation with me go out of their way to stop us. It's a good time no matter what the weather!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, we take Bonnie with us whenever we go shopping. Some places ahead can come in, some she can't but she LOVES going for a ride and at the very least she gets to walk in a parking lot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:02 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

blondiefk wrote:
Oh, we take Bonnie with us whenever we go shopping. Some places ahead can come in, some she can't but she LOVES going for a ride and at the very least she gets to walk in a parking lot.

Yes! Even if I only get a couple of items from the grocery store I always use a cart because one of my boy's favorite things to do is take the cart back to the store with me. He gets to smell all the bushes along the way and undoubtedly gets told how cute he is from other shoppers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The problem with Tegan (or one of the problems... ) is that she is still a very anxious dog. I have brought her to places with other dogs a few times, and she just frantically tries to climb up into my arms (which she can't do, seeing as she's 60 lbs!) and won't go off and play or interact with the other dogs at all. The same problem with stores. I have brought her into pet supply stores, and she is getting better, but she is still scared of the shopping carts, displays, noises, etc. Also walking in areas different than our normal routes is scary for her. So I'm limited in what I can do and where we can go. We can be in our house, yard, or walking on certain nearby paths.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my dogs beat cabin fever by being directly in my way at all times, if i am sitting somewhere o the floor then they are directly in my face.

if i am not around to annoy they will destroy things like dirty underwear or baby toys.

trash is also good for strewing around everywhere.

barking is fun especially on the rare occasion the baby is ACTUALLY SLEEPING

can you tell we're all going crazy here?

but for real one of my dogs does Nosework so we practice inside and sometimes with the other dogs we just hide kibble or treats and have him search for it.

the non-nosework dog does agility and my husband made him some agility poles and they practice that.

i cant wait for the weather to be nice again before they both drive me totally batshit bonkers. nothing really replaces a good walk for them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

LisaPunk wrote:
my dogs beat cabin fever by being directly in my way at all times, if i am sitting somewhere o the floor then they are directly in my face.

Haha, this is exactly what Tegan does! And then if I sit down with my laptop, she sighs dramatically and flings herself down on top of my feet. My mom was vacuuming today, and Tegan kept walking in front of her to stand directly in the vacuum's path. I was upstairs, but I could hear my mom shouting, "You! Are not! Helpful!"

We got out today and walked in the mud and slush. My friend picked us up with her dog, and we hiked in the woods for a long time. But the forecast is saying more cold and snow, so I know we're probably going to be stuck in the house again in the near future.

I looked up nosework classes today since we've never done that, but the only one I found close enough wasn't starting until April. Tegan is pretty good at sniffing out hidden food, so I think she might be good at it. Maybe we'll sign up later this year. We could do some regular obedience classes now, but I don't really have the money right now for a full course. I hope spring starts asap!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would love to sign Bonnie up for classes but she hates other dogs so anything would have to be private and that's just not in our budget. We want to hire a trainer or behaviorist to help us help her separation anxiety so there's that too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

blondiefk wrote:
I would love to sign Bonnie up for classes but she hates other dogs so anything would have to be private and that's just not in our budget. We want to hire a trainer or behaviorist to help us help her separation anxiety so there's that too.

Some places have "reactive rover" classes that are specifically for dogs who are reactive to other dogs, where they (hopefully) learn to tolerate other dogs and work on obedience. And if you wanted to do something fun with her, the nosework classes (around here at least) only have one dog at a time working while the other dogs wait outside or in their cars. It's a very popular thing for people with fearful or aggressive dogs.

Tonight we had a dog party. This consists of me throwing all of the dog toys out of the toy bin, one by one, while shouting, "Dog party! Dog party!" (Basko loves this game!). Then I put in Tegan's dvd and we sat on the couch and watched it together. I can't say it has much in the way of plot or character development, but she seems to like it. Then I set up two of the Nina Ottosson puzzles for them, and when they were finished, I put them in the yard for a little bit to get the last of their sillies out. Teagn is resting now. I hope this will tide her over until tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

She just needs some little boots to keep her feet from getting muddy, but I think she'd stop talking to me if I tried that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:32 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We like to play "find it" -- I have my pup sit and stay while I hide a bunch of treats around the house. You can vary the difficulty depending on where you put them and how smelly the treats are. You could do something similar with favorite toys, if your dog gets excited about particular toys. When I'm done hiding treats I say "ok, find it" which is her cue to start looking.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Some places have "reactive rover" classes that are specifically for dogs who are reactive to other dogs, where they (hopefully) learn to tolerate other dogs and work on obedience. And if you wanted to do something fun with her, the nosework classes (around here at least) only have one dog at a time working while the other dogs wait outside or in their cars. It's a very popular thing for people with fearful or aggressive dogs.

Thanks, I'll look into those for her.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just ordered a flirt pole. It's kind of like a big cat toy for dogs: http://squishyfacestudio.com/index.php/dog-toys/flirt-pole/flirt-pole-v2.html I know a few people who have them and their dogs love them. I'm hoping Tegan will go for it and we can use it out in the backyard. Winter doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I just ordered a flirt pole. It's kind of like a big cat toy for dogs: http://squishyfacestudio.com/index.php/dog-toys/flirt-pole/flirt-pole-v2.html I know a few people who have them and their dogs love them. I'm hoping Tegan will go for it and we can use it out in the backyard. Winter doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon!

Thanks for the link! I just ordered the junior size for my squishy face girl. I've used a lunge whip as a flirt pole before, but these look way more durable and better for indoor spaces since we don't have a yard anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hope your dog likes it! Mine arrived and it does seem really sturdy. Tegan is unsure, but Basko loves it! He is old, but he is about 75 lb and still really strong and he was catching the toy and pulling pretty hard and there were no issues.