| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toilet training cats
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:24 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I love my kitties, but I LOATHE the litter box. One of the cats has never learned the concept of burying his waste. He scratches at the side of the box, the wall, the floor - everywhere but the litter. And then when he gets to the litter he flings it everywhere (except on his very stinky poop). My mom got me one of the automatic cleaning boxes for Christmas, and that's a bust. The thing flashes error messages more frequently than it works. I could go on, but in general, dealing with the litter box is the chore I like the least.

For years I've heard about systems to toilet train cats. I think this could be a really good solution, and I'm seriously considering it. There are two products I've been looking at (this & this). Has anyone tried this method? Any success/failure stories?

Post subject: Re: Toilet training cats
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:49 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

it can work - I had success training a kitten years ago with a thing similar to the CitiKitty you linked to above, but my older cat thought I must be joking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My cat does the same thing with pawing at wall/floor instead of, yanno, actually burying his business.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

Same here! The litter box is right next to the dryer and he would scratch on that. We used to joke that one day we would finally come in to find the dryer sitting in the litter box.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

I would love to do this, but am afraid my cats are too old (16, but still very active and curious). one is semi-obedient and we think she responds to some things, like 'come here' 'scratch (your post)' 'sit' but the other one just does whatever the fork she wants. the first one, we could probably train, the other one, not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Mine are 4 and 6. The younger one (also the one who can't bury his poop) is probably the most trainable. The older one, I'm not positive about. He certainly isn't obedient, but he's also pretty chill most of the time and good about the litter box. I'll look around on ebay and see if I can find it for less than $50 (I want the better one if I do this), but I think it's probably worth a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I wish I could do it, but I shudder to think what 7 cats would do to 2 toilets.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:01 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I thought you weren't supposed to flush cat poop because of the toxoplasma gondii parasite (the same reason pregnant women shouldn't clean litter boxes). I haven't looked into it much, just heard that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, so I'm officially trying this! I bought the kit on Amazon, and received it today. It's all set up, and the cats have been introduced, but nobody's used it yet. Their box has always been in the downstairs bathroom, so I went straight to putting the new "box" on the toilet. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

My Lovey pees in the sink (only in the bathroom) and sometimes the bathtub. I tried to discourage him at first, but then I realized it was kind of easier to clean--I just need to run the tap to rinse it down the drain. He mostly uses his litter though. I know he was a street cat for a time before I got him so I figure he was peeing down drains when he was a stray. I think toilet training sounds cool if you could do it. Right now, my newest kitty has accidents on my sofa so I'm working on discouraging that, don't want to introduce any new factors. Also because she was feral or semi feral, she is really skittish about handling so I think training would cause her more stress than necessary. At least she pees in her box most of the time so I'm settling for that and putting plastic on my couch to protect it from her accidents.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

So far, so good! I put the first step box on the toilet last week. This one is basically just a shallow litter box that's shaped like a toilet seat, to get them used to going on the toilet. It took them about a day and a half to actually use it, but then they were fine. The instructions said to leave the first one on for 2 weeks before moving to the next step, but I switched it out yesterday just to see if they'd adapt. The second step has a small-ish hole in the middle, but still has a platform around the edge for litter. It was so weird to be sitting on the couch and hear the cat peeing into the toilet this morning! They're still not 100% using this, but they seem to be adapting nicely. I'll stay on this step for a week or two, though, and get them used to the sounds/sensations of going into the toilet. I'm so encouraged that this is going to succeed!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:28 am 
Level 7 Vegan

So exciting! My childhood cat taught himself to use the toilet, just from watching us - he was a super cool cat! Then, tonight we caught our newish cat peeing in the tub! Awesome!