| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wildlife culls
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I am just sickened by all the wildlife culls.....snowy owls, deer, wild turkeys, bear, wolves.... It goes on and on. Part of being vegan for me means speaking out for animals. This past winter I have been in so many discussions about the deer culls in my area. Around christmas time, I was sitting on the couch at my in-laws house when I heard gunshots from the deer culls near their house. I feel angry. I want to cry. While there has been media coverage on farm animal cruelty, I feel like there is little education on needless wildlife culls. I am thankful for the many activists working to stop this but how do you educate those in favor? As I get older I feel life draws me more and more into activism...... I feel frustrated and just had to vent. Thank you ppkers for listening.

Post subject: Re: wildlife culls
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I totally get you. There is so much abuse all around us. I am so bothered by it, yet it also seems so overwhelming that I pretty much limit (?) myself to veganism, basically passive ways to change it. I know it's (veganism) a good thing, and I know my choices over the last 20 years amount to something, but I want to do more. I used to do protests and leafleting but need and want to do *more.* I'll be following this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

A lot of culls are at the behest of cattle ranchers who say their livestock is competing for grazing land (yeah right) or is luring native predators. As a vegan, especially, this peas me off to no end.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Where I live, there are a lot of hunters. I hate it. Most people have dear heads hung up in their houses to show off their "trophys". (Isn't that what serial killers do?)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The big thing over here right now is the badger cull. Farmers think that badgers are giving their cattle TB. A lot of scientists say it's bullshiitake. I think it's probably the conditions the poor cows are kept in, rather than frigging badgers. The good thing is that a lot of people are opposing it quite vocally and many others went out sabbing it every night. And also, it was initially a trial in a few areas and it didn't go too well, so hopefully they won't roll it out any further. But yeah, it sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

A large news piece in Canada lately has been a wild horse cull proposed for Alberta. This one has gotten a little more attention in the press because omnivores care more about cute horsies rather than wolves or badgers or what have you.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/wild-horse-cull-raises-a-ruckus-in-alberta/article16744295/

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:29 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Thank you all for your support. And thank you for sharing your stories. I feel better knowing that there are decent people in the world, like yourselves, that care.