| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two cats, two problems - help and advice!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:59 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey ppk. So here's the deal.

Cat #1, Maynard, is approximately 7ish years old (give or take a couple years), male, and has been having anal gland problems for the last 6ish months (he gets blocked up and I have to take him to the vet to have them squeezed). It has gotten to the point that he is pretty traumatized from the whole experience and hides out in his carrier when we open it at the vet (he used to come right out to check out his new surroundings). The vet suggested that I have his anal glands removed, but this makes me pretty nervous (but I also don't want him to get even more fearful of the vet). Does anyone have any experience with this? I know it's not a common problem in cats...

Cat #2, Olivia, is approximately 5ish years old (again, give or take a couple of years), female, and has been consistently putting on weight for the last 2.5 years. I started her on Blue Buffalo when I got her and she put on weight, so the vet switched her to Medi-Cal calorie control for a year and she GAINED more weight. The vet then switched her to Prescription Diet r/d for a year, and she put on MORE weight. In October, the vet, as a last ditch effort, switched her to Prescription Diet Metabolic, and she has since put on almost 2 pounds/1 kilo!! The vet is continually suggesting that she simply must be taking in too many calories, but the switch from Blue Buffalo to Medi-Cal the first time literally cut her calories in half and didn't help. I'm thinking this isn't a "too many calories" issue. She is ultra lazy, and I know that's an issue, but it is very hard to convince her to play/move (she does play here and there, but only when she wants to). Any suggestions ppk?

Thank you all in advance!

Post subject: Re: Two cats, two problems - help and advice!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

No experience with anal glands, but are you free-feeding Cat 2? I know my lazy girl is overweight too, and I only feed her about 2/5 cup of dry food a day, total. Calories need to balance out with exercise. But if you're worried, has your vet tested for thyroid issues?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:30 pm 

Hey Jill, no I am not free feeding. She gets 1/2 cup of dry food a day. I brought her for a second opinion on Thursday and she suggested switching her to a restricted calorie all wet food diet, so we are going to give that a shot. I did all of her blood work as well and she is quite healthy, just hefty!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

How much are you feeding each day? (eta: Just saw that you said 1/2 cup. That is a bit much for a cat prone to weight gain. We feed all our shelter cats 1/4 cup dry food a day, plus canned. Overweight cats get no dry food.) Some cats will pack on the pounds if they are eating carbs, and prescription foods generally contain a ton of grain. Grain free foods are better for cats in general.

We had a cat at the shelter who kept gaining even on a diet, and he turned out to be diabetic. His bloodwork was absolutely perfect the first time we had it done, and the vet was stumped. Then we had it done again several months later and that time it showed that he had diabetes. So if kitty continues to gain, you might want to have bloods run again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:02 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

We have had good luck switching 2 of our cats from dry and wet food to all wet. They each get a 5.5 ounce can of Wellness grain free a day and have been slowly but steadily losing weight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This site has a lot of good info http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:19 pm 

Thanks everyone! The vet put Olivia on an all wet diet, and I think she is doing okay (I have to weigh her once a week) even though it has only been a week yet. She has gotten sick a couple of times right after eating, but I think it's because it's a lot of food and she eats too fast. She now gets 2 cans of Medi-Cal calorie control wet food a day (totaling 200 calories), which is what the vet calculated she needs to consume to not damage her liver but to lose weight. It's just a lot of food (1 can/sitting) so I am trying to break it up a bit. I'll keep you all posted :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I had anal glands removed on my then 8 year-old cat. I did it because I didn't want to freak him out every few months at the vet. Plus, he was so blocked that he developed colitis because he didn't want to go to the bathroom. I felt terrible for not noticing something was up before it got that bad. It's was a pretty standard surgery. He just had a shaved asparagus with a few stitches on either side of his butt for a few weeks. He was much happier after that, so I feel it was a good decision.