| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Team Lux -or- Misunderstood Pets
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Inspired/moving over from the pet-peeves thread let's talk about what we can do to help misunderstood pets. Let's get together and help kitties like Lux and come up with solutions instead of dumping another cat/dog in the shelter situation.

Post subject: Re: Team Lux -or- Misunderstood Pets
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:28 pm 
Semen Strong

The latest on Lux - he's going to be on Animal Planet, with his family, who have decided to keep him.
http://www.kgw.com/news/Cat-whisperer-h ... 30681.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Do the people get compensated for being on that show? I feel like they do, and to get the money is the only reason they are keeping that poor cat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Even if the show doesn't pay them a lot, they probably like the notoriety and hope to com modify it somehow.

I just think that if its this bad when their kid is 7 months and not walking yet it is going to be terrible once he is a fully toddling toddler.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:08 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I feel those people are in it for something. I am angry and sad.

Once on My Cat From Hell a couple needed help with their senior cat. Turns out the woman just wanted the $ and made the guy get rid of the cat in the end off camera (of course). She got death threats and stuff and had to shut down her fb business page (a new age healing page - ya okay, i really believe a person who gets rid of a senior cat can give healing)...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:
I just think that if its this bad when their kid is 7 months and not walking yet it is going to be terrible once he is a fully toddling toddler.

Yup.

This article just came up in my fb feed today. It's about kids and dogs, but much of it could apply to any animal. http://thesciencedog.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/the-kids-are-alright/
Quote:
The results of this study suggest that a large proportion of the problem, at least for young children, lies not with the kids, but with the parents. And, the problem appears to NOT be one of inattention or poor supervision, as the parents in this study did stay in proximity of their children and did pay attention to them. Rather, at issue is parents’ beliefs about appropriate behaviors when interacting (and encouraging their child to interact) with dogs.

Right now we have a dog at the shelter who was surrendered because he bit a child in the face (A very minimal bite, more like a scratch. The kid was very lucky.) The child was hugging the dog tightly around the neck. The dog growled but the child didn't let go right away, so the dog turned and nipped her face. The family had had this dog since he was a puppy, and the kids regularly grabbed at the dog, hugged him, etc., and the parents did nothing, because they didn't see anything wrong with it. (Even though they later admitted that the dog often showed signs of being uncomfortable.) When the dog was surrendered, the parents told the kids to say goodbye, and the kids immediately ran over and hugged the dog around the neck. The parents didn't see an issue with this even after the bite! So now the dog is homeless, one kid had to deal with being bitten, and all of the kids were very upset that their dog was being sent away. And this all could have been avoided.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:28 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

On this one I have to question whether this family deserves a second chance. Is this really the best for Lux? Sigh.... I hope Jackson Galaxy can help. I'm not the hugest fan of Animal Planet......

As a person who loves birds (and owns a small flock of parakeets), I can tell you that many a parakeet finds an untimely death due to people not understanding birds and their needs. If they don't sit on a finger, allow petting or talk, there is a good chance a bird will find it's way out a door/window or be poorly cared for. A bite or loud chirping sends them to the shelter pdq. Birds are terribly misunderstood too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This dog was surrendered to a high kill shelter because he snapped at a 2 year old. The reason he snapped was because the 2 year old was hanging from his ears and the parents thought this was funny and were filming it.

https://www.facebook.com/bigfluffydogrescue/photos/a.73633861181.73948.28214716181/10152305105866182/?type=1&theater

I honestly don't know what can be done about stuff like this. I would think/hope that people aren't stupid enough to not know that letting their kids maul pets is not okay or safe, but apparently people ARE that stupid. How big an educational campaign would it take to educate all parents? What would be the best way to spread info?