| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat with cone - issues...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:59 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey ppk,

So my oldest cat, Maynard, had his anal glands removed yesterday. The surgery went well, but he has to wear a cone for the next 2-3 weeks until the dissolvable stitches dissolve. He is having problems eating with the collar, I don't think he has even attempted to drink some water, and when he gets into the litter box he has a hard time navigating and gets littler into his cone. Any suggestions? I think I am going to head out today and get a larger litter box with lower sides (the only problem being that he tends to pee straight back onto the sides, so I don't know) and switch to Yesterday's News litter for the new couple of weeks. I put his food on a dinner plate this morning since he seemed to eat off of that more easily than out of his dish, but it's still not great. Thanks ppk!!

Post subject: Re: Cat with cone - issues...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Two things I have done in the past-used an inflatable collar - it isn't as big around. The other thing we do is cut a notch in the collar the size of the animal's head so they can eat. I have also taken it off just so they can eat then put it back on when they were done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Poor Maynard!
There are also soft 'cones' that are sometimes more comfortable, but can be less effective.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:25 am 
WELFARIST!

My kitty used the soft cone and it did the job of keeping him from gnawing at his stitches. I also removed the litter box lid so he could navigate in and out of the box. I think you can remove the cone temporarily so he can eat sort of thing, just supervise Maynard whenever his cone's off. Hope he gets well soon! <3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thanks everyone! I picked up an inflatable collar today, but need to return it - he is definitely in between sizes where the xs is too small but the sm is way too big. He seems to have gotten a bit better with the cone as the day has gone on. He hasn't had anything to drink and wasn't eating much (the vet said to give him wet food, which he isn't huge on and usually eats dry), but this evening I gave him his wet food that I has soaked in water to soften - he ate it (eagerly!) AND got all of the water it soaked up - win win! I took the lid off of the litter box yesterday, and also picked up a second one with lower sides and filled it with yesterday's news, so he can use whichever he pleases (I have another cat so I didn't want to change too much). He has a check-up at the vet tomorrow morning so maybe he will have some additional advice.

On a side note, Maynard and Olivia were the best of friends before I brought him to the vet yesterday, but since I have brought him home she wants nothing to do with him and hisses at him if he gets too close. Is she maybe afraid of the cone? Will this pass? I hope she doesn't hate him forever - the poor guy wants to cuddle with her so bad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:32 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

You can try Feliway to help with the stress levels in the household. There's a spray and a diffuser form.

Really be sure Maynard is getting enough liquids. Try him on unsalted chicken broth to make sure he stays well-hydrated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Robynn wrote:

On a side note, Maynard and Olivia were the best of friends before I brought him to the vet yesterday, but since I have brought him home she wants nothing to do with him and hisses at him if he gets too close. Is she maybe afraid of the cone? Will this pass? I hope she doesn't hate him forever - the poor guy wants to cuddle with her so bad.

I understand this is pretty common, as they'll pick up lots of strange smells at the vet's and not really smell like themselves. This should get better the longer he's home. Poor Maynard! Hope he heals well and feels better soon!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

lepelaar wrote:
Robynn wrote:

I understand this is pretty common, as they'll pick up lots of strange smells at the vet's and not really smell like themselves. This should get better the longer he's home. Poor Maynard! Hope he heals well and feels better soon!

Awww...yeah, lepelaar's right, my experience is that kitties have to readjust to each other after one returns from the vet. It's introducing a new unfamiliar smell they picked up at the vets and it's unsettling, I suppose for the kitty who stayed home. Again in my experience they're always fwends again within a day or less! Give Maynard extra snuggles he's missing from Olivia and be patient and they'll work it out.