| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Separation Anxiety in Dogs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ever since we moved (almost two years now) our dog has had really bad separation anxiety. Nothing has worked-training, a thundershirt, medication. Any one have any tips?

Here's a picture of what she did when my boyfriend was out yesterday.

Post subject: Re: Separation Anxiety in Dogs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't have any tips but I'm sorry you are dealing with that and I hope she didn't hurt her teeth!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm 
Dead by dawn

When I moved 4 years ago it coincided with making a clean break from my ex-boyfriend with whom I'd been sharing custody of Amos. I think the combination of losing his 'dad' and the change in surroundings brought on some separation anxiety. He shredded the vertical blinds on my sliding glass door a couple of times before we got his anxiety under control, and also scratched up the door jamb to the front door.

I used a pheromone diffuser for awhile and I really have no idea whether or not that contributed to calming him or not. I think the best tip I got was not to make a big production of leaving or of returning home. It was hard not to shower him with pets and affection when I got home from work, but what I was reading was that making your comings and goings very uneventful was key. So I'd get home, let him out into the yard to pee but basically ignore him for the first 5 minutes or so until he'd calmed down and sort of forgotten that I'd just gotten home. It made me sad to just leave without smooshing on him and come home without smooshing on him, but it really did seem to help. It took a few months but eventually he caught on that he wasn't going to lose me too and he's been fine ever since. Nowadays I still keep leaving as low key as possible; I just give him a kiss and tell him that I will be back, but we are back to happy homecomings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We tried that too but she makes it very difficult. As soon as she figures out we're leaving she gets frantic. We did the whole getting ready then not going out, then going out for a minute and gradually increasing it. She was better for a while but lately had been bad. I'm sure part of it is I'm away and when I'm upstate I'm home all the time and my boyfriend is working overtime. But we're worried she'll hurt herself. We're thinking about trying medication though it didn't work before. Using it while we work on training again.

The pheromone diffuser is a good idea- I might try a collar instead because we have cat diffusers everywhere. Thanks MT.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:02 pm 
Dead by dawn

It sounds like your schedule has a lot to do with her anxiety. I wish I had some advice for that. I have been home with Amos since I got laid off in November and I am worried that we may see a recurrence of his anxiety when I go back to work.