| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feline acne
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:10 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

My kitty, Cooper, has had occasional minor bouts of chin acne over the years, but it was always just one or two zits and they went away after we bathed them with salt water for a day or two. But he's been having a major breakout for the past couple weeks, and even after doing all the recommended stuff (changing his ceramic bowls daily, and washing his chin with hydrogen peroxide after he eats his wet food) it's still getting worse. I called the vet back today and she gave me some benzoyl peroxide shampoo stuff to clean it with, along with some antibiotics, so I'm hoping this will do the trick. Does anyone else have experience with this? I'd be interested to hear how you deal with it, what has worked, etc. He's such a good kitty - and a beautiful kitty - and he's very patient about the whole business (my other cat, Gus, would put us in the hospital if we tried anything like this on her); I really want to help him get rid of this stuff!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: Feline acne
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:05 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Poor kitty! Have you noticed him rubbing his chin on anything? My little old man cat used to love to rub his face on shoes and was also prone to chin acne; I think that was ultimate the cause of it because once we shelved our shoes, no more chin acne. I don't even think our shoes were super gross or anything, it was just all the rubbing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:58 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

sometimes this kind of reaction can be a form of contact dermatitis. i know ceramic bowls are usually safe for kitties, but sometimes they can react to elements in the glaze. have you tried feeding him from plain glass or metal to see whether it makes a difference?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

He does rub his face on things, including the big plastic tubs of dry cat and dog food; I suppose we could put them somewhere less accessible, but we have 3 pets and buy large quantities so they're kind of heavy. The bowls we use range from Corelle to stoneware to glass and we change them every day, but I'll give metal bowls a try. It's frustrating because our other cat eats and drinks from the same bowls and rubs her face on the same things but has no acne at all.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

My cat Charlotte had it badly. I was washing her face with warm soapy washcloth after each meal and that helped but the only thing that got rid of it forever was switching her food. She went from a "cheap but still from the natural grocery store" to higher end grain-free that I feed my other cat. It was completely gone within a week and hasn't returned in a year.