| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taking cats to the vet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:53 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So I got a cat about a month ago and she really needs to see the vet. She's is six years old and the last time she was in a carrier before I got her was when she was a kitten. She is very affectionate with me but does not like to be picked up. She had a vet appointment today, and we missed it. I tried to put her in the carrier and she freaked out, hissed, and I got quite a bad scratch. She got away and is now hiding under the dresser. So I had to reschedule. Though I can see the same thing happening next time. I sprayed Feliway in the carrier before hand but that still didn't work. Sucks because it took about two weeks for her to warm up to me and I hope we are not back to square one. She also doesn't seem to care for treats.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Taking cats to the vet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

What kind of carrier, hard or soft? If it's a hard carrier you could put it so the opening is on top, then wrap her in a towel and slide her in head first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:28 pm 
Cranky

Leave the carrier out, so it's not just a thing associated with evil trips to the vet. My cat likes to sleep in his sometimes. I can usually lure him in with treats because he's not afraid of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

One thing I used to do was put an old shirt of mine in so it smelled familiar - the smell part might not work since she's newish, but it also makes the carrier warmer and softer and more inviting. My cat used to resist the carrier and was really strong; the shirt helped.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

It's best if you can get your kitty used to the carrier by feeding her near it and then in it. But that is easier said than done. I've never done it with my kitties. They all get tense when they hear the carrier come out.

One method I use to get my wigglier cats into the carrier is not head first, but bottom first. I tip the carrier up (hard-sided) with the door open and then I lower the cat in butt first, then close the door and slowly tip the carrier down. When I get to the vet, I put the whole carrier on the exam table and we calmly unscrew the top of the carrier and leave the kitty in the carrier for the exam, sometimes covering up the kitty with a towel. This method works surprisingly well.

I have two semiferals who I literally cannot get my hands on. These cats I have to get tricky with. I take one of those nylon play tunnels and jam the end into the carrier. Then I maneuver the cat to get away from me by hiding in the tunnel, and eventually into the carrier. Then I fold up the end of the tunnel slowly and then very carefully pull the tunnel out from the carrier and quickly close the door. At the vets we unscrew the carrier towel and put the cat in a towel for the exam. They seem not to be afraid of the nylon tubes afterwards, so that's good.

As far as rebuilding your relationship with your kitty if food doesn't work, I suggest exuberant play with a wand toy, like Da Bird or a springy toy like the Cat Dancer. Also, try grooming your kitty with a comb, starting on the head and back of the neck and then see if she or he digs being groomed on the back and sides. This can be very calming for both of you.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:14 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So after another attempt to get my cat to the vet and running around the house for a half an hour to try catch her (yes it looked pathetic), I am having a vet come to the house to do her wellness check up. Lol there is no way that I am getting her there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

For next time, definitely leave the carrier out for a long time beforehand, put toys and food in it and let it become a familiar thing to climb on, sleep in with cuddly soft things, etc.