| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 323
Location: Los Angeles
Moon wrote:
I would love a Tegan lap attack.

Seconded!

_________________
"This morning I used a random number generator to choose which tea to have with breakfast." - Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:13 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 am
Posts: 378
Our cat pulled gum out of the trash and rolled in it, for crying out loud.

He's a peppermint freak. Gum is not supposed to go in the trash in the house.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:09 am 
Offline
BAD PASS
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 pm
Posts: 3251
Location: NW Indiana/Chicago
I've been trying to wean Mavis off of being crated and so far she's done pretty okay, with a couple of exceptions (chewed a string of lights that didn't work, removed the liner from one of my old holey pair of Vans). I started by leaving her out if I just needed to run to the store for a few minutes, increasing the time little by little. But she gets gradually crazier the more time passes since she went to daycare, and it's been 4 days, so...well, she chewed up my NutriBullet box (which I was initially keeping in case it needed to be returned, but I probably should have thrown it out by now) into absolute oblivion. The pieces are too big for the vacuum to pick up and small enough that it will take a really long time to extract them from the carpet. What. a. jerk.

She's at daycare today, thank goodness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:21 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1936
Location: Hamburg, Germany
I wonder what it is with boxes and paper. Orion has completely outgrown his chewing behavior, except when it comes to old kleenexes (ew) which he will tear into confetti. Luckily he doesn't dig in the trash.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:11 pm 
Offline
TOTALLY CRADICAL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 7570
Location: Smugville, CA
Not something my dogs do, but something that happens when I'm with my dogs- if I'm walking them on a busy street, especially before/after work when it's crowded, sometimes people will go out of their way to remark on how little they are and how short their legs are. There's always this sort of heavily implied, passive-aggressive suggestion that I'm abusing my dogs by making them walk fast because they're little.

My dogs can tear asparagus, you don't even know. If they're walking fast, yes, it's because they have short legs. They also have the same amount of muscle as they would have if their legs were more proportionate, lengthwise, to their bodies. They are healthy, active, physical ladies! The last time this happened Biscuit was trotting along beside me and although she was walking fast, she wasn't panting or showing extreme exertion at all. I wanted to tell the lady to shut up and mind her own business but instead I just said something like "oh, she can really move out, don't let her fool you..."

_________________
"I get people straight up declaring "This isn't vegan" probably because it's not made of kale and tears." ~vixki
Sews Before Bros
Norton's Movie Maps


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:15 pm 
Offline
BAD PASS
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 pm
Posts: 3251
Location: NW Indiana/Chicago
I just hauled the ShopVac my landlord's son left in my basement after it flooded up the stairs to vacuum up all of the shredded cardboard my regular vacuum won't pick up. Mavis was so afraid of it she peed on the carpet. (I ShopVac'ed that right up too.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:09 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:49 am
Posts: 542
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Harley is between a year and a half and two now, and ever since he was a puppy, he has stolen my clothing and ripped it to shreds. Everything from underwear, to shirts, to skirts, to sweatpants and leggings.

He did it a lot as a puppy, seemed to stop (or at least slow down a bit) and now is back to it with a vengeance. I lose at LEAST an item of clothing a week, and my wardrobe wasn't huge to begin with. I always think there are no clothes available in his reach...and then I get home and discover he's somehow gotten to my shirt/pants/whatever. He even manages to pull things off wall hooks. I lost ANOTHER top this morning.

Any ideas on how to stop this?

_________________
"Peace is not something we do. It is something we are"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:39 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1936
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Since you mention it stopped and started again, I wonder if anything has changed in your dog's life. Is Harley under more stress recently? Alone more? Any teeth or oral health issues that would create a need for chewing?

Orion mostly stopped inappropriate chewing on his own (plus keeping stuff out of reach), but I think having an adequate chewing outlet helps. Do you have a Kong or other chew toys that your dog likes? If he's not interested now, you can develop interest with positive reinforcement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:21 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:49 am
Posts: 542
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
aelle wrote:
Since you mention it stopped and started again, I wonder if anything has changed in your dog's life. Is Harley under more stress recently? Alone more? Any teeth or oral health issues that would create a need for chewing?

Orion mostly stopped inappropriate chewing on his own (plus keeping stuff out of reach), but I think having an adequate chewing outlet helps. Do you have a Kong or other chew toys that your dog likes? If he's not interested now, you can develop interest with positive reinforcement.


Nope...my schedule is more or less exactly the same, and he's got a kitty friend who keeps him company while I'm at work. His teeth look super healthy.

He's got an XXL Kong, a Kong ball, about a trillion bones, ropes and other things. All of which he carries around proudly in my sight and chews on when I'm around. But as soon as my back is turned...GRRRRRRR

_________________
"Peace is not something we do. It is something we are"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:35 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:00 am
Posts: 2060
Location: Wales
I think it's a comfort thing. Bebe does the same, but only with clothes I've worn. She chews on them until there's a gaping hole surrounded by doggy saliva. It's my fault when it does happen; I shouldn't leave clothes on the floor.

_________________
MoFo blog :) Rosie's vegan kitchen

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:25 am 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 6831
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
Harley is between a year and a half and two now, and ever since he was a puppy, he has stolen my clothing and ripped it to shreds. Everything from underwear, to shirts, to skirts, to sweatpants and leggings.

He did it a lot as a puppy, seemed to stop (or at least slow down a bit) and now is back to it with a vengeance. I lose at LEAST an item of clothing a week, and my wardrobe wasn't huge to begin with. I always think there are no clothes available in his reach...and then I get home and discover he's somehow gotten to my shirt/pants/whatever. He even manages to pull things off wall hooks. I lost ANOTHER top this morning.

Any ideas on how to stop this?


It's not unusual for them to have regressions to old behaviours, especially before age three. How much mental stimulation is he getting? Does he have puzzle toys, or do you have access to an agility or Rally-O class?

_________________
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus
I got your blood sausage right here, baby. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:11 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 323
Location: Los Angeles
My 4 month old puppy doesn't give kisses much (which makes me sad) except when I come home from school. The only problem is that he also likes to paw at my face when he's excited and his nails hurrrrt! He really uses his paws a lot like a cat and I' not sure when to do about it. It's cute until it's on my face. I trim them and file the edges, but he's the type that they'll always be a bit long.

_________________
"This morning I used a random number generator to choose which tea to have with breakfast." - Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:49 am
Posts: 542
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Moon wrote:
jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
Harley is between a year and a half and two now, and ever since he was a puppy, he has stolen my clothing and ripped it to shreds. Everything from underwear, to shirts, to skirts, to sweatpants and leggings.

He did it a lot as a puppy, seemed to stop (or at least slow down a bit) and now is back to it with a vengeance. I lose at LEAST an item of clothing a week, and my wardrobe wasn't huge to begin with. I always think there are no clothes available in his reach...and then I get home and discover he's somehow gotten to my shirt/pants/whatever. He even manages to pull things off wall hooks. I lost ANOTHER top this morning.

Any ideas on how to stop this?


It's not unusual for them to have regressions to old behaviours, especially before age three. How much mental stimulation is he getting? Does he have puzzle toys, or do you have access to an agility or Rally-O class?


We don't have agility classes or anything like that here, but he does get to play a LOT with other puppy friends, and get's walked/run a lot. I've thought about puzzle toys, although my fear is he'd probably just eat part of it to "solve" the puzzle. He gets his kong frozen with food and peanut butter every morning, so I know it takes him some time and effort to work on that at least...

_________________
"Peace is not something we do. It is something we are"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:06 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 12866
Location: Redmond, WA
jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
Moon wrote:
jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
Harley is between a year and a half and two now, and ever since he was a puppy, he has stolen my clothing and ripped it to shreds. Everything from underwear, to shirts, to skirts, to sweatpants and leggings.

He did it a lot as a puppy, seemed to stop (or at least slow down a bit) and now is back to it with a vengeance. I lose at LEAST an item of clothing a week, and my wardrobe wasn't huge to begin with. I always think there are no clothes available in his reach...and then I get home and discover he's somehow gotten to my shirt/pants/whatever. He even manages to pull things off wall hooks. I lost ANOTHER top this morning.

Any ideas on how to stop this?


It's not unusual for them to have regressions to old behaviours, especially before age three. How much mental stimulation is he getting? Does he have puzzle toys, or do you have access to an agility or Rally-O class?


We don't have agility classes or anything like that here, but he does get to play a LOT with other puppy friends, and get's walked/run a lot. I've thought about puzzle toys, although my fear is he'd probably just eat part of it to "solve" the puzzle. He gets his kong frozen with food and peanut butter every morning, so I know it takes him some time and effort to work on that at least...

Does he have a box of his own toys he has access to all day? I know Bigby likes to dig through his toy box and find the one particular toy that he's looking for at the moment.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:30 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:49 am
Posts: 542
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Quote:
It's not unusual for them to have regressions to old behaviours, especially before age three. How much mental stimulation is he getting? Does he have puzzle toys, or do you have access to an agility or Rally-O class?


We don't have agility classes or anything like that here, but he does get to play a LOT with other puppy friends, and get's walked/run a lot. I've thought about puzzle toys, although my fear is he'd probably just eat part of it to "solve" the puzzle. He gets his kong frozen with food and peanut butter every morning, so I know it takes him some time and effort to work on that at least...
Quote:
Does he have a box of his own toys he has access to all day? I know Bigby likes to dig through his toy box and find the one particular toy that he's looking for at the moment.


I pile them all up in one spot, and everyday when I get home, he's spread them out all over the apartment. So it isn't as if he isn't playing with his toys..it's just that at some point he decides "okay, done that, now I'll go chew up mom's sweats from yesterday before I move on to the next bone" He also learned to steal things off the laundry rack really quickly...I'll be hanging wet laundry...and all of a sudden see he's grabbed two socks off the line and is retreating.

_________________
"Peace is not something we do. It is something we are"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:37 am 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 6831
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
I really think he needs things to challenge him, not just exercise him - there is a big difference. Going after your clothing is more of a challenge and is more stimulating mentally.

I have one dog who is a sock eater. He prefers my husband's socks. He loves my husband so much and he just wants to consume his scent, I think. I would take it as a compliment that his clothing destruction is likely a loving sentiment and hide your clothes really, really well.

_________________
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus
I got your blood sausage right here, baby. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 am 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 323
Location: Los Angeles
My 4 month old puppy always throws up in our car. I took him on a cross-country road trip in another car and he was fiiine the entire time, but a few minutes in the car we have now and bleeh everywhere. I've tried not feeding him right before. Today he ate lunch at like 1 and took him in the car tonight at around 10 before feeding him dinner and stiil he threw up.

_________________
"This morning I used a random number generator to choose which tea to have with breakfast." - Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:48 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 am
Posts: 1133
Location: UK
This is another "other dog owners" pet peeve. I just got onto the footpath and a woman with two spaniels came up behind us. Rather than rushing on and having this lady right behind me all the time, and not be able to let Nola off the lead, I decided to tuck in up ahead, so she could pass, then I could see which way she was going and go a different way from her.

So I pulled into this little shortcut path that goes through a small copse. I call it a shortcut, but it's only a shortcut if you're turning right up ahead, and even then it cuts no more than 10 seconds off your journey, so it's by no means a mega time saver or anything. I figured that, even if she had planned to go down this path, she wouldn't mind carrying on the main one if I explained.... buuut I was wrong.

The exchange went a little something like this...

Me: (Upon realising she'd planned to go where I was) Would you mind going around, please? My dog's reactive.
Her: (Taking a really shiity tone with me right from the start) What? Well, I wanted to go that way.
Me: Look, I'm sorry, but my dog's really not great with dogs she doesn't know.
Her: No, I planned to come this way etc etc (didn't really get exactly what she was saying here, as I was trying to keep N calm, but it was pretty much just her asserting that she didn't want to go the other way)
Me: You can come past if you want, but...
Nola: (Who had been good as gold until then) Woof! Woof! Woof!
Her: (Decides to go around on the main path, but calls back to us) You know, YOU could have gone this way!
Me: Uhhhh... How exactly was I supposed to know which way you were going?!

She turns right at the nearby junction bit and cuts across ahead of us while we wait. It takes all of 30 seconds (goodness, how far out of your way I made you go.....). As she goes past she shouts, "No need to thank me, then!" At which point, I'm like fork you, lady, so I shout back, "Actually, you were rude so I'm not going to thank you." (In the UK, not thanking someone is like, the height of insult.) I may have added "And, you can go fork yourself." Because, really, what a dick. I'm super chilled most of the time, but it severely peas me off when people can't show a little bit of graciousness and empathy. Eh, maybe I'm the dick... but, whatever.

_________________
VEGANSLIME


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nooch

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:41 pm
Posts: 138
For me, it's always the same complaint. My fish is unusually critical. He does not recognize squarish, triangular, elongated or otherwise not round pellets as his food, and I have to gesture to them repeatedly before he will eat them or he just lets them float to the bottom of the tank and cloud up his water. He does this with pretty much anything out of the ordinary... he'll get mildly curious but refuse to do any of his own investigating. Aquarium plants were met with the same criticism. Changes in my schedule also received the same looks of chagrin and distrust.
:( I did not envision a betta fish to be this difficult.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:42 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 15071
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I had no idea fish and macaws were so similar.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:08 am 
Offline
BAD PASS
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 pm
Posts: 3251
Location: NW Indiana/Chicago
The dog park is full of drama and it's ridiculous.

There seems to be a core group who have kind of jerky dogs, and for any altercations their dogs get into, they blame the other dog, then talk shiitake about the other dog's owner.

On Saturday, it was "You know, SHE'S the one who needs the exercise, not her dog!" Ugh. You are 73 years old. Grow the fork up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:09 pm 
Offline
TOTALLY CRADICAL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 7570
Location: Smugville, CA
dog park people are CRAZY. There was definitely a dog park clique at my last local one. Thankfully I live close enough to what I've been told is the nation's largest dog park- it's huge and there's no real 'gathering' spot for any clique.

_________________
"I get people straight up declaring "This isn't vegan" probably because it's not made of kale and tears." ~vixki
Sews Before Bros
Norton's Movie Maps


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:05 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am
Posts: 2157
Location: rva
i second the fact that dog park people are crazy and there's always so much drama! ours can be really clique-ish and people tend to not only ignore their dogs and not pay attention to them, but they bring some not-always-dog-park-appropriate-dogs as well. **sigh** when this happens (the inappropriate dogs) i just grab Sig (our new-to-us 4 year old dobe) and leave.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:24 am 
Offline
BAD PASS
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 pm
Posts: 3251
Location: NW Indiana/Chicago
Haha. Now a minor scuffle where a dog got his ear bitten has, in hindsight, become a huge near-deadly brawl where the dog nearly had his ear bitten off and his owner vows to beat the crepe out of the other dog's owner if he ever "shows his face" there again.

Oh bu-ruh-ther.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:46 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:49 am
Posts: 542
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Instead of going to an official dogpark, there's a school/institute right near me that's completely closed if you shut the entrance with a leash. We have a whatssap group of dogowners in the neighborhood, and someone will write when they're going, so anyone else who wants to can come play. I didn't think we were cliquish...we're always inviting new pups (with their people) (some of whom come, and some of whom don't) and I certainly felt really welcomed when I adopted my pup and first showed up. I felt like the other dogs on the group basically raised him and taught him how to roll with the big boys.

I ran into a woman with a dog who I didn't know when out on a walk a few weeks ago, and when she commented on how well our dogs were playing together, I said "hey we play at Hartman (The name of the school) all the time, would you like to join in" She freaked out and goes "I went there once. You all are nasty and your dogs are mean. We'll never come back. Nevermind" and literally STOMPED away from me and Harley.

Ummm......I'm sorry?

_________________
"Peace is not something we do. It is something we are"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer