| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My cat has an obsession for suddenly jumping on the chair people are starting to sit on. Some day I'm afraid she'll get squashed, what with her being a kitten-sized adult, too.

And I can't believe the speed at which she manages to get her head in a door I am starting to close. I'm glad I finally lost the habit of slamming the fridge door closed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:36 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

People who let their dogs off leash in areas other than dog parks are my peeve. Yes, your dog is friendly and gentle and lovely and has an IQ of 120, but my dog is still going to EAT THEM if they come anywhere near her when she's leashed up and they're off leash.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:17 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yeah, that's the worst for sure! i hate that so many people do this and we have to be so on alert in seemingly "safe" areas. my dogs love to run around on leash and it sucks that we have to stay hyper vigilant to watch out for others who aren't following the rules.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 am 
BAD PASS

Mavis has gotten a hundred times better than she was when I first got her, but apparently she hasn't stopped all of her bad behavior. Yesterday when I went to pick her up from daycare, the attendant said she nipped at one of the workers who was trying to make her go outside when she didn't want to. She laid down on the floor and refused to get up (which is what she does when she doesn't want to do something). ...also why the heck would you not want to go play outside, Mavis?? Jeez.

I worried all night that she was going to get banned from daycare and I won't have a place to board her and she'll just be crazy forever since she won't have daycare to tire her out. By light of day, I realized it's probably completely fine and not THAT big of a deal, but still. UGH, Mavis!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jordanpattern wrote:
People who let their dogs off leash in areas other than dog parks are my peeve. Yes, your dog is friendly and gentle and lovely and has an IQ of 120, but my dog is still going to EAT THEM if they come anywhere near her when she's leashed up and they're off leash.

This is our #1 fear with Olivia, and the main reason we only walk her while she is wearing a basket muzzle now. I don't care how nice your dog is! My dog is like the highlander. As far as she's concerned, there can be only one.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:23 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Thanks for barfing under the bed this morning, Gershwin. That'll be plenty easy to clean up. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Urgh. Barf and poop and barfed up poop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Invictus wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

I don't care how nice your dog is! My dog is like the highlander. As far as she's concerned, there can be only one.

This is the best and so true.

Another peeve! Ariel ESCAPED last night! We think she must have slipped out when D went to quickly check something in the garage, and neither of us noticed she was gone, because we both thought she was in the other room with the other person. I heard a dog bark outside and thought, "jeez, that sounds like Ariel," and sure enough. She was sniffing around the street and then barked at a neighbor who shooed her away from a trash can. Luckily, she came right away when D called her. We both went across the street and gave the neighbor she barked at some cookies. Apparently, she was just yapping and not growling or being really threatening, which is good. The neighbor was totally not phased, because there's another neighbor on the street who just lets their forking dogs out in their unfenced front yard unsupervised, and they go and poop on other people's lawns, so our girl sniffing around wasn't a big deal, apparently, but still.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Also, she seems to have a 6th sense about when I'm about to get a work-related call, and starts barking 10 seconds beforehand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

reminds me of the time my cat escaped:

- my cat was 17 and never had an interest in running outside
- the day before she had apparently injured herself and was hiding/occasionally crawling around but dragging her entire hind side on the ground
- i had carried her and set her up to relax in a box after seeing the vet. someone came and went. and hour later i hear muffled yowling/scratching from outside
- she somehow escaped and got outside... in that state. still don't understand how

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:25 pm 

Omg Jordan, that's scary! Glad everything was ok. That's awesome that she came right away when called!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:07 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Omg Jordan, that's scary! Glad everything was ok. That's awesome that she came right away when called!

Yeah, it was terrifying! I am so relieved, though, that she didn't act really aggressive and that she came when Doug called her.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:20 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So, the place where I walk Nola, I hardly see any other dog walkers. Like, maybe one or two (but only from afar) on an average day but often none at all. However, as soon as there is a warm, sunny day it's crawling with people. It was about 15 degrees (c) yesterday, and I must have seen six or seven different people/groups of people (including one guy whose little terrier was running up to N and barking while she was on the lead, grr). Which begs the question... what the fork do these people do with their dogs the rest of the time?! If you're only going to give your dog a proper walk when it's not grey and muddy, then you shouldn't own a dog in the UK, where that is pretty much the default state of things.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:22 am 
BAD PASS

I feel the same way about the dog park. All winter (or since I got Mavis in December) it's been empty about half the time and very sparsely populated the other half. Now that it's spring there are suddenly like 20+ people and dogs there every time we go. Were those poor dogs just sitting indoors all winter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

It's even worse in Quebec, where it's so cold for such a long time. You hardly see a dog all year and suddenly, on very sunny summer days, you see dogs everywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:59 pm 

We take Bigby to indoor "fungility" to make up for the winter weather. He hates the cold and rain, so he just won't stay out for long walks in the winter. Plus we do extra training and running around in the house.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We are still trying to deal with our pup's seizures and it's so frustrating! He's on a third medication now and the good news is that it seems to be helping a lot. The bad news is that it has to be administered every 8 hours. I bought one of those automatic pet feeders for his mid-day pill and he chewed up and destroyed the thing the first day. Ugh!!!

The other annoying thing is that the vet keeps pushing us to get an MRI for him. I would be willing to if I knew we'd get some definitive answers, but right now I'm not seeing the point. It feels like a huge money grab. He's had a weird jumpiness for his whole life, which is what I think has developed into his focal seizures as an aging dog. He's had these seizures for about 4 years now, so if he had a tumor I think it would have caused more issues by now and medication wouldn't have as much of an effect as it has. Also, even if he did have a brain tumor, he is old enough that he can't have surgery so why spend $4k for useless knowledge? At his last vet appointment the neurologist said he also has this knee problem where the indentation where the knee cap sits is basically worn smooth so his knee cap isn't sitting straight. This makes his back legs splay out and she said it can lead to lots of problems with walking and developing arthritis so he should have surgery. I'm down for that, but when I talked to her about it when I was giving her a med update she said that the orthopedic surgeon probably won't do the surgery unless he has an MRI because if he has a brain tumor it could cause problems with anesthesia?? I don't even understand the rationale, I just think they really want him to have an MRI. It doesn't sound very scientific, it seems very wishy washy and I have been burned by so many vets wanting blood work and all these extra tests when a little googling by me after the fact indicated that the tests were definitely not necessary.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:01 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I am ranting. Hell is other dog owners, I swear.

Walking Angel this afternoon, we're approaching an intersection and I see a very enthusiastic German Shepherd off leash on the other side of the street in front of us. Okay, fine, we can work with this. Angel has been handling herself great from a distance. We cross the road to the right preemptively. Next thing I know the German Shepherd is BOUNDING ACROSS THE STREET in front of a car coming to say hi. I just take Angel, turn around, and run for the other dog's life.

When the guy caught his dog, he explained to my mom that "he's really friendly!" You know what's not friendly? CARS. Also, I can only protect your dog from my dog if I can separate them by at least the length of my 4-foot leash. It would be great if my dog was not a total nut job but we can't always get what we want.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:07 am 

ughhh...the "my dog is friendly" people need to get a clue! We moved out of the way to not get too close to a guy (without a dog) on the sidewalk and he goes "hey, I don't bite!" and I said "Yeah, well he does!" (or at least might!)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:37 am 
Nailed to the V

Hey, my dog IS Friendly. Super friendly, and loves everyone. Adult, child, dog, cat, etc.

However, he also can not be trusted not to bound across a road in front of a car to say hi to a new friend, or to know when a dog isn't as in to playtime as he is (he's almost been bit a few times making that mistake but is still always game), and so he is ALWAYS leashed when we're not in an official enclosed dog park zone.

I get it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:01 am 
BAD PASS

ijustdiedinside wrote:
We take Bigby to indoor "fungility" to make up for the winter weather. He hates the cold and rain, so he just won't stay out for long walks in the winter. Plus we do extra training and running around in the house.

There was one of those near me when I lived in Chicago. I wish there was a place like that here where maybe you could pay the monthly cost of a gym membership and take your dog there whenever. That would be super helpful.

There was a big sign up at the dog park saying it would be closed on April 29th for repairs, and that the new park is opening May 1st. It didn't say the park would be closed LONGER than just April 29th, but a bunch of park people were speculating that the sign meant it was closing for good. (for repairs, though? It said for repairs.)

The new park is a pay-to-go park, where you have to register with an office that is only open M-F, regular business hours. Which is not super helpful. It also doesn't allow any pit mixes, and I don't really want to give them my money.

I'm going to drive by the regular park on my way home from work to see what's up with it. Hopefully it WAS just closed on the 29th, because Mavis needs her park time or she gets frustrated and eats DVDs and/or cookbooks.

:/

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Pedro got over excited when we were playing earlier and split my lip open with his claw. Thanks, buddy.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:57 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Pepper got ENRAGED that a squirrel dare traverse our fence and ran straight into the half of the yard that I haven't weeded yet. She came out absolutely covered in burrs, stickers, foxtails, and sticky residue. She even had a foxtail going up her butt (not too far, thankfully, I just pulled gently and it came out)!

Pro tip: if this happens to you, it's a million times easier to pull all this stuff out with wet hair in the bath, before shampoo! I dread to think what I would have had to deal with if she hadn't been trimmed recently!

ETA a picture because it's pretty funny. She's still looking for that squirrel, she is gonna show it what for.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:07 pm 
BAD PASS

HAHAHA! Oh my god could she be cuter though??

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:18 pm 
WRETCHED

Aww what a cutie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next