| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilling a Hellcat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Fry is on anti-anxiety pills because the vet thinks that may be the cause of his UTI. Pill pockets worked the first couple days, but he's picked up on it. He is a nightmare to pill because he knows when I'm going to pill him and takes off. So I have to close off half the house and corner him. When I finally get him, he is nearly impossible to hold. I would have thought having only 3 legs would make it easier.

My main problem is that I'm causing him real anxiety by trying to give him his medication, which defeats the purpose of the pills. I'm going to call the vet for a transdermal that I can rub in his ear, but it has to be mail ordered. Any ideas until then?

Post subject: Re: Pilling a Hellcat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Psycho Kitty aka Patrick has been getting his anti-anxiety meds transdermally since forever- and I highly recommend
this method for "difficult" cats.

You could get a pill gun http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/ ... %20Shooter but you then need to chase the pill with some water via another syringe to make sure it goes all the way down.

If it wont totally break your vegan heart you can also try hiding the pill in some (gross) liverwurst or cream cheese and see if he will take it that way.

But since the anxiety medicine is available in a transdermal formulation (sadly for my hand Patrick's chemotherapy drug is not) I would go with this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:12 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

my cat is a nightmare, too. she's almost 18 and weighs about five pounds, and i used to have to medicate angry cats every day and mostly know what i'm doing, but she has still reduced me to tears on occasion. can you catch him in a big towel and cat-burrito him so that only his head is sticking out? this makes it a little bit easier if his squirming is a big part of the problem.

eta: sometimes my cat is less evil if i catch her while she's asleep and start the process while she's still groggy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I can't pill my Kizzy. One time we had a traumatic twenty minutes and it's not so much that he won't take the pill, but he refuses to swallow it! He spits it out every single time, so it's not the struggle of getting in for him, it's the swallow. I ask for liquified versions of all his meds where available.

SuzyHB wrote:
If it wont totally break your vegan heart you can also try hiding the pill in some (gross) liverwurst or cream cheese and see if he will take it that way.

Yes, because of the swallowing issue, I had some pills I couldn't get in liquid form a few months back I was trying to give Kizzy and the vet recommended "sardine paste" but I couldn't find that so I used anchovy paste (not sure if that's good for him--so salty!) but anyway, I had to grind up the pills with my mortar and pestle (due to his swallowing pills issues) and mix it with the anchovy paste (ugh! and guilt) and then sort of smear it over his maw so he'd lick it off. Those pills made him vomit when he did get them down and I just discontinued that particular med so this didn't go on for long, but you can grind up the pills if you need to and mix with a palatable substance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a semi-feral cat who is very difficult to pet, let alone capture and pill. Because of spraying issues, we are now trying him on a course of daily Prozac. Our vet has arranged to have his Prozac compounded into a liquid (it's in a chicken oil base), which we add to his wet food. So far, this is working very well -- both the medicating and the no-more-spraying.

The transdermal option sounds fabulous! I'm going to ask my vet about this, because she has never mentioned it.

Otherwise, I highly recommend trying a piller. And if the pill you are administering has any kind of a flavor, I would put it into a capsule so that there is no taste whatsoever, neither good nor bad.

Good luck!

ETA: Check with your vet on whether the capsule would impair absorption of the medication.

Last edited by quagga on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think my cats are all food crazed morons or something. When they need meds, all I have to do is put their pill in a meatball of cheap canned food (i.e. Friskies) and they gobble it down and scream for more. I sometimes give them a meatball with no pill first, then when they trust me, give them a pill meatball, but either way they're like "OH MY GOOOODDDDDDD CHEAP CANNED FOOOOODD!! WAAAANT!!!!" and they couldn't care less what's inside it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Both my suggestions have already been mentioned - getting a piller or mixing it in his food. You could grind it up and mix it in with some wet food if you want to use up the pills you have, instead of just switching to liquid?

It sucks when you're trying to medicate an animal but the process of doing so kinda goes against what you're doing it for...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I tried hiding it wet food today. He ate all the food, but left the pill. I called the vet for the transdermal, but they have to mail order it. I Hope it gets here soon.