| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bigby!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

the vet is awesome and just called to say he's doing well under anesthesia and will call us as he's waking up. this vet is so great. he needs two teeth extracted and then she wants us to brush his teeth every day (which i'm sure every vet wants). but hey, since his fear aggression is getting so much better, maybe we can focus on teeth and nails now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:56 pm 

He's fine! Home and sleepy but fine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:37 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Good job, Bigby! Pepper had three teeth extracted recently and I was shocked because ordinarily her teeth are so good, so two extractions for his first dental visit ever is not too darn shabby. I'm on the tooth-brushing train as well now!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yay!

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:50 am 

We had such a good day with Bigby today. We signed up for some reactive dog training with our trainer because we want to start working on his dog issues now that he's had all his medical stuff done. So, it was a gorgeous day and we met her in a big park in Seattle where lots of people walk their dogs on leash. We started out from a distance and Bigby didn't really seem to care about the dogs going past, so we kept moving closer to try to gauge his reactivity and basically, it ended up that we sat on the edge of the trail with bikes and rollerblades and screaming babies and dogs going by and Bigby didn't care at all. The only time he cared there was a dog was when one ran up the hill right behind him off the track and even then all he did was try to chase it (obviously he was on leash). No barking, no signs of aggression. Our trainer was amazed and so were were. We wouldn't have even tried to take him to a place like that without her there.
It was pretty amazing. He's still really reactive to dogs in our neighborhood, so we will probably have our trainer come here for future sessions to work on that, but man was it good to see him that relaxed in the presence of so many things that would have freaked him out a lot even just a few months ago. It's really awesome to know that we can take him places.

We even stopped off at the vegan bakesale at Vegan Haven and he came in the store and was not freaked out at all.

So, footface, I know you want to meet Bigby! Maybe we can have a picnic or something!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:00 am 

btw, here he is. Jason piled all his toys on him when he hopped in his bed and then he just stayed like that for a few hours.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:28 am 
Saggy Butt

Aww well done Bigby! My rescue mutt is nearly 4 years old and she's been SUPER reactive since she was a pup. She is mega reactive to people (strangers) coming into our house (as well as on walks, etc) and we invited the dog trainer over and she was basically zero-reactivity so we had to ask a neighbour to come in and get barked at so the trainer could observe and advise....

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:39 am 

I think you were one of the first people in this thread to clue me into positive reinforcement training which has essentially saved our and Bigby's lives! From the start I knew I couldn't use any of those harsh punishment based methods, but I didn't know where to look, so thank you for that!!

Bigby's biggest issues are definitely around the home, too. That's really funny that she didn't react to your trainer! I love the caution vest your dog wears. Once we were waiting outside the vet and Bigby had a basket muzzle on and a lady let her 4 year old come up and try to pet him. People can be so clueless.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:23 am 
Saggy Butt

Aw no worries; I had no clue about positive reinforcement training until the home visitors pre-dog adoption told me about it! I think a really great thing about it is that even if it doesn't work too well in the long run (like us :/) it doesn't damage your relationship (or the dog!) and so it's always worth a try. We did bloody loads and to be honest, Vulpe has pretty much retained her fear aggression.

Ugh I hate it SO MUCH when people approach dogs they don't know, or let their kids. Vulpe's worst thing in the WORLD is people/kids running at her and it really sends her into a frenzy. The caution coat helps but still sometimes people ignore it and I'm left there shouting AND THAT'S WHY IT SAYS CAUTION, HELLO. If nothing else it serves as a way to get less stink-eye from other dog walkers who think they know better than me!

I'm so glad to hear Bigby is improving though; I bet he's a much happier chappy for all your efforts :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:10 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That picture of Bigby is so cute!

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am so happy to hear how well he's doing! Please make a Bigby calendar and put this picture in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:58 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

OMG, dying of cuteness over the pic of the Bigster with his toy collection.

I just love you guys who work so hard with these rescued dogs, giving them a second chance. I know there's a bunch of you on the PPK and I applaud you all. I tear up thinking about the effort that's put in and the love we all have for these beloved animals who deserve a second chance. If only everyone who wants a dog would make the same effort and show the same patience! What a payoff! Look at the joy they bring when the pups feel comfortable and safe in a lovely home with some effort and persistence on the part of loving owners! You only have to look at that adorable picture of Bigby. Giving any creature a wonderful life is a priceless gift and kudos, idgy and Jason and all you other wonderful PPKers who work with these more difficult boos to show them the world can be a safe and loving place. <3<3<3

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:30 pm 

awwww, thanks SV! *sniff* that's the best compliment ever.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:38 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yay, Bigby! It's so inspiring to read your updates in this thread, IJDI. Bigby has come so far, and it's so great to read about him doing better than expected. Seems like a pretty excellent endorsement of the hard work you and J have put in.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Bigby is melting my heart. So cute.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:30 pm 

Thanks guys!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:03 pm 

Big Bigby news! We did reactive rover training and our trainer brought her assistant's non reactive dog with her. Bigby did SO good. We even went right in front of our apartment and had the other dog walk up the stairs and Bigby was cool with it. And then they sniffed each other's faces! Bigby got a little freaked out because the other dog is a lot bigger than him, but he was so calm and wanting to interact with the dog. Best day!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yay! I love good Bigby news! (and Bigby in general)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:54 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Awesome Bigby news! I'm bursting for you guys!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:59 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Good job Bigby!!! That is such huge progress for you guys! Congratulations on giving Bigby a great home and the environment and training he needs to feel comfortable and be a good member of doggie society! <3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:31 pm 

Thanks guys! It's so amazing to watch his progress. It would be so great if he had a doggie friend.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love following this thread. I'm so happy for you and Bigby.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:18 pm 

Here's a video of Bigby and his new/only friend! Of course he did something to his foot earlier in the week and ended up limping a little so there wasn't too much playing, but this was a miracle!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIQU3YfjtXf/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:23 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

GOOD BOY, BIGBY!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:33 pm 

Thanks Jordan. I wish we lived a little closer so maybe we could help our dogs together.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next