| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat ear mite treatments
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:14 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

One of our cats has ear mites, and has for a long time now. Before we were completely broke I picked up some Sentry brand ear mite treatment because I couldn't find any of the brands my husband knew and trusted. I figured we'd find info online, but I can't find any reviews of their ear mite treatment. Have I picked up a potentially harmful treatment for the cat? I've already lost the receipt and we're broke as a joke right now, so even if it's ineffective I wouldn't mind using it on her on the off chance that it'd work--but a flea treatment killed one of my husband's cats a year ago and my husband still feels awful about that, so I definitely don't want to take any chances. If this is harmful, or ineffective, what brands would you recommend? Are there any safe home remedies I can use? (I know a dog ear mite home remedy, but I don't think you can use it on cats.)

Last edited by Hapax Legomenon on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Cat ear mite treamtents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:01 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I haven't heard anything about that brand specifically, but I'm also hesitant to use over the counter chemically stuff on animals. We use ivermectin at work, just one squirt in each ear does the trick. But I think you might have to get that from the vet.

Sorry, I don't know any really effective home treatments! Ear mites are very contagious amongst cats, so if one cat has them, it's probable that they all do. I would be cleaning their ears out every day until you find a solution. Maybe the vet could recommend something you could do at home if you call them?

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]