| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: senior dog with one really dilated eye
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:33 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

just curious if people have dealt with aging dog eye issues.

before i start let me preempt this by saying i already have a vet appt for next Friday for him.

our dog Willy is a lab mutt we think him to be 11-12ish. we're not sure, he was a rescue and also a stray so that's the general best guess.
is the last 2ish months he has aged dramatically. he has slowed way down, his back hips are bad, he spends most of the day sleeping (previously he would follow me around the house and drive me crazy)

he still acts his normal self just slow. he still is crazy and is still full of energy and spry when he wants to be. he does not appear to be in any pain he just is less stable than previously. so we've just kind of monitored him realizing it's sadly just old age.

the other day i noticed one of his eyes is WAY more dilated than the other. and it's been like that now since i noticed it. the vet had noted before his eyes are getting cloudy and he may have cataracts (this was like 6ish months ago) so the general thought my husband and i have now is maybe this eye has cataracts now and is dilating in an attempt to let more light in and see better.

he definitely doesnt see or hear as good anymore. his actual vision seems ok but his depth perception we have noticed has suffered. he still does his agility class and they had to lower the jumps for him because he was jumping at the wrong time. he used to be adept at catching food you threw at him now he just let's it bonk off his face and looks at you like "what the fizzle"

if you offer him a piece of food he sniffs it suspiciously for like 30 seconds before hestitantly taking it whereas before he would just chomp it.

*sigh* aging pets suck. it's so hard. it breaks my hard my sweet sweet messed up boy is getting so old

Post subject: Re: senior dog with one really dilated eye
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:05 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I can't speak to the eye thing - but in my experience with aging dogs not wanting food as much, it's because digestion doesn't feel so great anymore (like in humans - simple things like acid reflux/small ulcers/etc are more common as they age). I would look into a senior dog food that seems pretty bland - and you can also try feeding him pepcid now and again (google tells you lots of info about it and dosage - it's super safe).

Sometimes older dogs do just tend to get less interested in food and it's okay - but if they're eating less than they need to due to discomfort, that's hard to tell on your end, and also not great for their health long term obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it seems to be more of a vision issue than a not wanting to eat issue. it's like he's unsure of what's in front of him and he wants to sniff it thoroughly to confirm it's food.

though your post does remind me that one day i tried to give him a measuring cup i had used to measure peanut butter and he didnt want it and i was like WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU becuase both dogs love peanut butter.

ill ask the vet about senior kibble. so far he's still excited about breakfast and dinner so that's good :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:29 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh well that's good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:03 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yeah, if he's not on a diet for mature dogs yet, I would consider it.

This may seem weird but, how are his teeth? Quita cracked a tooth not too long ago and she had some weird reactions - if bacteria gets into the gums and bloodstream it can cause some really weird reactions. She started circling and having trouble recognizing food and I thought she had had a mild stroke but the vet noticed her funky tooth and said it could have all been from that. She got better over about a week and a half. She really needs a full dental and tooth extraction but with her heart and kidney conditions getting worse I don't want to rock the boat - it's a crummy limbo to be in.

Anyway, if he has plaque on this back teeth, and you see a crack on the plaque it could be a weird dental connection. I didn't really consider how many different systems a tooth problem can have an effect on. And even if the vet doesn't recommend it, have them do a full blood panel. The first vet we saw after she had her problem didn't mention it and I didn't think about it at the time and I was really kicking myself after as it was her usual vet that mentioned it a little while later and it was too late to have a blood panel help rule that out.

Beyond that I have no advice! I'm interested in what the vet will have to say since this is not something I've experienced myself.

Also much commiseration on old dog health suckage! Quita is getting so old and I'm constantly worrying about every little health thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My Bogey has a cloudy right eye, but I never looked carefully at his pupil. We were at the vet on Saturday and she tested his tear production and examined him thoroughly but she does not think it's cataracts. Probably allergies. I have eye drops now and I will start trying to giving them to him tonight.

He is still good with depth perception, and I don't think his vision is impaired. But he is also pretty suspicious with food and extremely picky. He's not on a vegan or vegetarian diet, but he might as well be because he eats nothing but sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots and apples. His teeth are a mess, but he can not get them fixed because he has kidney failure and anesthesia might be fatal for him.

My boy is falling apart! The vet told me and my husband that she rarely sees people caring about an older pet like we do. Most people can't be bothered. I can't imagine not doing my best to care for him..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

his teeth should be totally fine. he had a full dental cleaning in December 2015. they did xrays on one side (apparently he broke the probe so they couldnt do the other side)

there were no issues in his mouth at that time. obviously something could have happened since then but in general he has always had good dental health. he had an abscessed tooth once that we got removed but otherwise no issues.

i really do think it's probably something like cataracts but right now it's "wait and see"
Friday is still far away :-(

i hate that my sweet handsome messed up boy is getting old

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:53 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok so apparently his eyes are fine and it's a bit of a mystery as to what happened. it was very noticable last week. my husband agree one was more dilated than the other so it wasnt just me being crazy. it was less dilated today and in the lighting at the vet both eyes looked the same.

she said it would be weird for one pupil to be dilated more than the other and if something was wrong like glaucoma or something he would probably be in pain and rubbing it or there would be discharge or something.

she did say there is coloration around that pupil making it look darker so it may have looked liek the pupil on that side was more dilated when it was just coloring which makes sense except for the fact we've had him for almost 10 years so why would it just be an issue now.
anyways the bottom line is she said both his pupils looked fine, the back of his eyes look fine, and he was reactiing to the lights she was using with both eyes normally so it's just a mystery. the only thing we can think of is he may have bonked into something and caused slight trauma to it temporarily.

she also noted at the bottom of that eye there is a black spot which i thought was discoloration is actually a cyst but the only thing she said about it was that it appeared to be just a cyst and not "a mass"

we got some new joint supplements for him as he is getting old :-( and his legs suck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:36 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'm not sure if you use non vegan products for your dog, but I've seen people have great success with salmon oil with dogs with bad joints.

Apologies if this is inappropriate to post, if so, feel free to delete mods.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the suggestion i actually had a seperate post talking about fish vs coconut vs flax oil to see if anyone had any ideas.

my dogs are not vegan but i was hoping to get a vegan or vegetarian product if possible. in my limited research before my eyes started to glaze over it seems most places say fish oil is the one for joint issues in dogs because of the high amount of omega 3s.

i ended up ordering a salmon oil on amazon recommended by a dog trainer friend who says she has used all 3 oils for various reasons for her dogs over the years and she thought that the vegetarian oils didnt have the same effect for joint issues. shes not vegetarian but i know she super researches everyrthing for her dogs so i trust her judgement.

lavawitch mentioned in my oil thread that Whole Foods sells an oil blend that claims to have the same benefits as fish oil so next time im there im gonna check that one out too.

thanks! im also trying to look into a ramp for my husband's car if anyone knows anything about those! i posted on a local dog related email list that not a ton of people use anymore but i know al ot of the people on it have the ramps but i really didnt get a response yet. boo :-(