| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: you guys, my cat is sick :(
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:00 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm so sorry, I've been through CRF with two kitty babies, and it's really tough. I hope Bill is ok!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I hope he perks up and eats more for you soon. Hopefully it's something that's pretty treatable. Lots of love from me and my furries to you and yours.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:57 pm 
protein lump

ok, good news and iffy news from the vet.

the good news is that it's not his kidneys. his levels were healthy.
the iffy news is that his liver levels are off. she told me that this is an indication that he's sick somewhere else.
so it's back to the vet tomorrow for some abdominal xrays. and hopefully some more answers.

fingers still crossed that it's something treatable. for right now, i'm breathing a huge sigh of relief that it's not CRF. maybe i will get some sleep tonight.

i got him to drink a little bit of water with tuna water in it and he ate a little bit of tuna. so that was good. the vet said if he's still not eating enough tomorrow they can give him more fluids and put him on an appetite stimulant. also, i need him to pee!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:47 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Hugs and fingers crossed for you and kitty, Esme!

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Glad there's some good news and I'll continue sending good vibes your way!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

aw! i'm glad it's not kidney disease, but I hope you find out what's wrong soon!
I'm thinking good thoughts for your kitty!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Sending good healthy kitty vibes!! I hope the vet gets it sorted out soon and that it's something easy and fast to treat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:11 pm 
protein lump

i got to see bill's xrays this afternoon. can i just say, my kitty has the most adorablest insides ever?
the xrays didn't tell them too much. he has a HUGE pocket of gas in his tummy which is probably why he's so grumpy and uncomfortable. the vet said that will just have to work its way out. there was a shadow in his stomach and she asked if he was the type of cat to eat things off the floor. um... yes. i know he has eaten some of my yarn and i always catch him eating random things. so the shadow could be something he ate or it could just be a shadow on the xray. if it's something in his tummy, it could be making him feel sick and not want to eat.
she said his intestines feel a little "thick" which is a concern.
so an ultrasound is needed next and he'll get that early next week.

also, his teeth are a MESS. i had no idea. they're really really bad and she said that could be one of the reasons he hasn't been eating - because his mouth hurts.

so we're going to try to figure out if the intestines are anything to worry about and then worry about getting his teeth back in shape. she was worried that if she focused on the teeth first, whatever is going on in the intestines (if anything) could get worse.

absolute worst case scenario could be intestinal cancer. depending on how aggressive something like that is, it's likely to be pretty manageable.
another thing could be some sort of inflammatory bowel disease (just like mom!). he was given an steroid injection and he's been eating a bit more. he's not snarfing down everything in sight or anything. but i think he's eaten more today than he has over the past few days put together. so the fact that the steroid seems to have stimulated his appetite could mean something in the IBD category.
or it could be nothing. she said the intestines were just slightly thickened - not crazy and overly worrisome or anything.

so i'm supposed to just keep an eye on him tonight and tomorrow and call back on monday to let her know how he did and to schedule the ultrasound.

keep those good wishes and vibes going - i think they're working!

i feel like no matter what it is at this point, i think i can deal with it. i certainly don't want him to have cancer, but at least that's something we can make more manageable. i'm definitely hoping that the tummy stuff is nothing and that we just have to work on getting his teeth cleaned up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sending more good vibes! I hope it's something really easy to take care of so he can get his little toothies cleaned and be back to himself!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Sending you tons of good thoughts esme and I hope Bill has a quick and complete recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:39 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Glad that he's eating a bit better! Here's hoping it's just a toothache!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 am 
protein lump

ok, well i wrote up a long post last night and lost it, so here's the short version.

he was doing pretty well until yesterday afternoon and then he just crashed and wound up collapsing. he spent the night at the emergency clinic and the main concern now is an apparent lesion in his esophagus and something in his stomach. the vet wants to do an endoscopy to check out the lesion and maybe surgery for whatever's in his stomach.

my main concern is how i'm going to pay for this.

if anyone has any suggestions, i'm open to pretty much anything at this point. i applied for care credit and got $3100, but that's basically been blown through by the night in the clinic. i need to get him out of there as soon as he's stable enough since it's like 4x the amount of the regular vet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am so sorry to hear this.

I went through something similar a few months ago and know how draining this can be not just on your kitty but on you as well.

As for how to pay for all of this- welcome to my life.

Does you vet accept Credit Care?- if you PM me I can give you the specifics but its basically a credit card especially for medical procedures (including those for fur babies!).

There is no interest for 6 months but you vet has to take it.

Like I said please PM me and I will pass on what information I have.

Big hugs to you and to Bill and please keep us posted on how he is doing.

SuzyHB and cats.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

:( So sorry, Esme. I have no advice on money. I just want the little guy to pull through.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Sorry- I am an idiot :(

I read your post too fast and didn't see that you had already done CareCredit.

Since you are in New Jersey I would try the following.

Vet-I-Care

P.O. Box 41, Clarksburg, NJ 08510
Web: www.vet-i-care.org
Phone: (609) 259-8300 x126

E-mail: mdurnien@vet-i-care.org

Prince Chunk Foundation
P.O. Box 8044, Blackwood, NJ 08012-1522
Web: www.princechunkfoundation.org
Phone: (856) 302-6373
E-mail: info@princechunkfoundation.org

Hope that is more helpful.

PS You can also try to get CareCredit to increase your credit line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Just wanted to send some good thoughts your way. I don't have any advice/info to pass on but I know how bad this sucks :( I hope your baby gets better real soon!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

How did the clinic blow through three grand in ONE night? That is absolutely absurd. I don't know if the cost is different because of your location, but I work at an emergency and specialty clinic near Kansas City, and an overnight stay, even for a critical care patient, is never any more than $500-$600. Even with the added endoscopy and anesthesia, you shouldn't owe anywhere near $3000 yet. That's about what I'd expect for an abdominal exploratory surgery, but certainly not an overnight stay and a scope.

Guh. Now I'm angry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry esme, that sounds wretched. Are you at Oradell?

I know APLNJ has a fund to help people with vet bills, but I'm not sure what its status is.

Sending you and Bill lots of good thoughts, and I hope he feels better soon and that you can take him home and he can get healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

:( Hang in there...

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, esme, I am so sorry to hear this--how stressful on multiple levels. I am thinking lots of good thoughts for you and your cat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:49 pm 
protein lump

fresh_paint wrote:
How did the clinic blow through three grand in ONE night? That is absolutely absurd. I don't know if the cost is different because of your location, but I work at an emergency and specialty clinic near Kansas City, and an overnight stay, even for a critical care patient, is never any more than $500-$600. Even with the added endoscopy and anesthesia, you shouldn't owe anywhere near $3000 yet. That's about what I'd expect for an abdominal exploratory surgery, but certainly not an overnight stay and a scope.

Guh. Now I'm angry.

i don't have an itemized bill, but he had blood work and x-rays. plus the hospital admittance, antibiotics, vitamin drips, a barium test with x-rays every few hours.. it's just a ton of stuff.

so... the new is really bad. even if they do the endo tomorrow, they're talking feeding tubes and long term iv's and meds. i just can't do that to him.
so tomorrow i'll be bringing him home and we're just going to hang out and sort of let him go. the doctor thinks he'll only make it a day or two without being hooked up to the machines so they'll be on call for when he's ready to come back in to be put down. seeing him tonight with all sorts of tubes and shaved paws and that crepe just totally broke my heart and i can't put him through any more of it.

they had made it (whatever it turned out to be) sound treatable earlier today, but tonight the doctor went through everything with me and it's just too much - for him, not for me and not money-wise, although i expect it would have eventually been too much money-wise as well.

anyway. blah.

this forking sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

<3
i am so sorry esme.
hugs for you and bill. so so so sad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:39 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh no. I'm so sorry. Big hugs!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, esme. Awful. Ok, you are making a good decision for your kit. I really wish you didn't have to do this. Thank you for taking such good care of your beautiful cat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Thinking of you, esme, and sending you and Bill warm vibes for the time you have together. So sorry that you have to go through this, but also how much I admire you for being strong enough to be able to put Bill's wellbeing and quality of life ahead of your own hurt. Much love to you both. xx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next