| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Cat Litter?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:22 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm adopting a kitty at the end of the month (!!), and wanting some recommendations. I live in a tiny studio and don't want people to know I have a cat the second my door is opened, from the "odor". What's your favorite?

Post subject: Re: Best Cat Litter?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:29 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Swheat Scoop! It's made of natural wheat, so it smells good and is good for the environment and your kitty. Or Feline Pine. It's bigger chunks though so it doesn't get clumps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yea, Scooterdiva!! I just adopted a cat recently and was going to ask the same thing because what I am using right now sucks, it's a knock off of Yesterday's News.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

After reading reviews on Amazon (and thanks to LiztheWiz), it seems like Feline Pine is the way to go. I am concerned about flushing cat poo, though. Is it safe to do that? The whole idea just seems strange to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:12 pm 
ugh

I've been using pine pellets recently and I really like them! It was annoying at first in a regular litter box (difficult to clean), but it's easy with the Feline Pine litter box & scoop. When urine hits the pellets, they break apart into dust. The litter box is basically a sieve, you shake it to keep the clean pellets in the top part and the dust falls into the bottom part. The scoop lets you pick up poop without picking up the pellets with it. http://www.felinepinelitterbox.com/products.php

You don't need to buy Feline Pine brand litter, though. There is a product called "wood pellet fuel" that is exactly the same stuff for much cheaper. They sell it at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. or even Walmart during the winter months. Just make sure you buy one that is mostly (or all) pine since it covers up the smell the most.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:13 pm 
ugh

ScooterDiva wrote:
After reading reviews on Amazon (and thanks to LiztheWiz), it seems like Feline Pine is the way to go. I am concerned about flushing cat poo, though. Is it safe to do that? The whole idea just seems strange to me.

It is flushable, but there are some environmental concerns. You could just throw it out with the trash if you want.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

b.vicious wrote:
You don't need to buy Feline Pine brand litter, though. There is a product called "wood pellet fuel" that is exactly the same stuff for much cheaper. They sell it at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. or even Walmart during the winter months. Just make sure you buy one that is mostly (or all) pine since it covers up the smell the most.

I was using Feline Pine for a while, and loved it, and my mom recommended that I switch to the wood stove pellets as well. They were okay but a little bigger and had a different smell than the Feline Pine and I didn't think they worked as well. Then I went to the animal-supply store in my town and I found a bag of horse pellets that are much better and more economical than either the Feline Pine or wood stove pellets. I think I paid $6 for a 40 pound bag and they're the same exact things as Feline Pine. I would recommend that if you have such a store in your area. I'm not sure if they sell horse stuff at places like PetSmart of Petco, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:17 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i love swheat scoop. i've been using it for years, in tiny apartments, and the only time i can smell anything is when the critter has just taken an especially nasty poo. i think it tracks a little more than clay, but when i was using feline pine it seemed like that stuff was everywhere all the time, and this isn't as bad as that. it clumps really well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:15 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I absolutely LOVE World's Best Cat Litter. It barely tracks, clumps like a dream and flushes. I can't smell it at all. Also, you can get a free bag if you go to their website and download the rebate form.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

luckyklutz wrote:
I absolutely LOVE World's Best Cat Litter. It barely tracks, clumps like a dream and flushes. I can't smell it at all. Also, you can get a free bag if you go to their website and download the rebate form.

Seconding this. It really is fantastic. I tried really hard to rationalize continuing to use Feline Fresh, because it smells of pine, but World's Best is just better litter. And it lasts for eons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I also use Sweat Scoop and love that it's flushable!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:49 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I like the pine pellet type litter. If there is only one cat using the box just look for the sawdust pile in the box, then scoop it out. I never found this difficult to do with a normal litter scoop, but if there is more than one cat using the box the sawdust piles get disturbed, and are not as easy to scoop out.
I use feline fresh clumping litter now that there are two cats using the box. This stuff tracks like crazy, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am going to try switching over to World's Best after reading this thread. We currently use crytsals but they cats kick them everywhere and they are sharp if you step on them :(

I have tried Feline Pine and while I love the smell, it tracked everywhere. I did not enjoy seeing pine all in my bed at night.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
we add 1/3 cup baby powder to cheapy cheap clay litter, only fill the box a few inches (instead of just dumping the whole bag in there) and we NEVER smell our litter box anymore. we have two cats and i read the recommendation in an old school house keeping book and it's worked wonders. we've tried everything pine pellets, news paper pellets, corn litter, clay litter, litter with baking soda... everything and we could smell it all. now with the added baby powder all of the litters work great. we had a problem with pine clumps just breaking apart so we prefer corn or clay litter and whenever we scoop we add more baby powder and sort of stir it in a bit, really gets more life out of the litter and hides the stench.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

World's Best Cat Litter has been my favorite forever. We use the wheat stuff when it's on sale but the pee never dries making it harder to scoop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:34 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

luckyklutz wrote:

totally. it seriously IS the world's best cat litter! we have two cats and i can never smell their litter boxes with this stuff, and it really lasts way longer than the other stuff we've tried (s'wheat scoop, feline pine, the newspaper stuff, etc.).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My housemate uses swheat scoop for her two cats, and I love how well it clumps but not the way the litter itself smells. Or the price.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:00 am 
Semen Strong

hopshackgirl wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

totally. it seriously IS the world's best cat litter! we have two cats and i can never smell their litter boxes with this stuff, and it really lasts way longer than the other stuff we've tried (s'wheat scoop, feline pine, the newspaper stuff, etc.).

Absolutely! Even when we had 12 ferals in cages in our basement the WBCL meant that you couldn't smell it. We've tried everything as well, and this was absolutely the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:11 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Another vote for World's Best Cat Litter.

I also like the fact that its flushable.