| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

How long do you leave your dog home alone for?
8+ hours 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
6-8 hours 31%  31%  [ 12 ]
4-6 hours 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
2-4 Hours 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
1-2 Hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
less than 1 hour 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I am a dog. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject: How long is your dog home alone for?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:36 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I found a place in Vancouver that will allow me to have my dog. Over the past year she has been living with my father and brother and she has to go to the kennel a lot because my brother is a pilot and my dad often has to travel to China for work. My current plan is that whenever they are away, she'll stay with me. But I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to sign her up for daycare or hire a dog walker.
My school schedule currently says I'm there for 6 hrs M-F (however, it may change) and I'm not sure what my breaks are like. I live close enough that if I have over an hour long break I can go home and take her for a quick walk. I live really close to a regular park, and about a ten minute walk from a dog park so I figure I'll walk her in the regular park for an hour before I leave and then take her to the dog park when I get home.
I believe we have left her alone for this long in the past, but only occasionally when we are driving down to Victoria to have dinner with my sister or something. We've never had a problem with her messing in the house, except once when she was sick from eating parts of dead deer she found in the woods (I threw a stick for her and she came back with it's leg), and the only destructive behaviour she exhibits is scratching at the drywall when she gets really bored.

So, here are my questions:
Would you leave your dog home alone for 6 hrs?
How long do you usually leave your dog home alone for?
If you live in Vancouver can you recommend me some good daycares, walkers, vets, and groomers?
Would you go see a dog remake of the 1990 film Home Alone?

Post subject: Re: How long is your dog home alone for?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:39 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Chester's fine for 8 hours, but he usually gets something more like 5-6. When I work full time he'll be back to 8 hours, though, but I don't feel guilty because he doesn't like doggie day care or strangers, so he'll take me when he can get me and like it!

I really think it just depends on the dog. Some can not be left alone that long. Some sleep that long and never notice you're gone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:42 pm 
Chard Martyr

I would totally leave my dog home alone for 6 hours. No problem.
She has been left home alone, max, for 9 hours or so before. It wasn't ideal, but I didn't have another option.
When I was in school and doing crazy school/internship hours, I had someone come and walk her during my 12-16 hour days or she went to daycare. Now, she's not home alone for more than 4-6 hours on the random occasion that I have somewhere to go for that long.
I do not live in Canada, or Vancouver for that matter.
I would not see a dog remake of the 1990 film Home Alone because I'm not a huge movie watcher.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:55 pm 
Dead by dawn

Amos is alone for 8-9 hours on weekdays. Aside from a couple of months shortly after we moved when he was in his separation anxiety phase, it's never been a problem. I'm pretty sure he sleeps the vast majority of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I voted 4-6, but it really varies. I'm home a lot now and so my dogs aren't home alone much at all, but I used to have to occasionally leave them for an 8 hr workday, although I always tried to come home for lunch to let them outside. They did fine at 8 hrs, but that was definitely not ideal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My dogs are left home alone while I work. They keep each other company. The older one used to have issues with separation anxiety but having a pal helped that. I can't deal with/afford doggie day care.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:35 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'm pretty sure they sleep most of the time, the most I've left Poppy is 5 hours but think I could leave her longer if I had to. I'm getting security cameras installed around the house and thinking of putting the spare on in the living room to see exactly what she gets up to when I'm not there. I envisage several minutes of fast forwarding though a sleeping dog show.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

my dogs come to work with me but when I have to leave them home rarely they are here for more than 8 hours. They always do fine and probably sleep all day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I used to work from home when we first adopted our dogs, so I used to never really leave them at home alone. One of the dogs also had terrible separation anxiety and had to be medicated for it. I've been working with her for the past year or so (because I work full time at an office now) to try to help her cope with being left alone and now we can leave her at home for about 3 hours. Having another dog seemed to have really helped her deal with being at home without us though.

And to answer your other questions:
If you live in Vancouver can you recommend me some good daycares, walkers, vets, and groomers?
-Daycare: Our dogs go to Sit Doggie Daycare on Davie and Burrard. I like it okay. It's a little bit smaller than the daycare they used to go to, but it's within walking distance of my office and apartment, so it's pretty convenient place considering I can't drive. We also sometimes use the Doghouse on W. 8th and Manitoba. The people there are really nice.
-Boarding: We've boarded them once at Rex Hotel + Spa. It's owned by the same people who run the Doghouse. The ladies who work at Rex are so nice and take pictures of the dogs everyday and post them on Flickr so you can your dogs playing and sleeping. It's a little bit pricey (as are most daycares/boarding places in Vancouver), but I totally think it's worth it.
-Grooming: The Groom Room on Oak St. and 21st (I think) was really great with our dogs, listened to us, and gave them nice haircuts.

Feel free to PM if you need any more dog-related Vancouver stuff!

Would you go see a dog remake of the 1990 film Home Alone?
No. I love the original too much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:19 pm 

Thanks for responding everyone, by the sounds of it my dog should be fine. She's never shown any signs of separation anxiety in the past, but even when she is hurt she always seems happy so it is hard for me to tell when something isn't working for her (e.g. she hurt her leg once and kept trying to make me play even when she started to bleed seriously and she ended up needing stitches). My main concern was if you guys thought that would be too long for her to go without a bathroom break.

Thanks for the places, birdsonawire, I'll be sure to check them out. The Groom Room says they don't do full grooms for Goldens though, do you know of any others? Also the Rex Hotel + Spa looks so nice I don't think she will come home since I don't have a custom doggie water park.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Olen is spoiled since I am currently not working, and am home with him. We also try to take him with us most places we go. He hates being alone, and does not like other people. When I was working, he stayed home about 7 hours, and was fine...but I don't think he slept much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ExpiredSanity wrote:
Thanks for the places, birdsonawire, I'll be sure to check them out. The Groom Room says they don't do full grooms for Goldens though, do you know of any others? Also the Rex Hotel + Spa looks so nice I don't think she will come home since I don't have a custom doggie water park.

I've heard a lot of good things about Unleashed Dog Spa on Oak and 22nd. I wonder why the Groom Room doesn't do full grooms for Goldens--my dog is an Aussie/Golden mix and they have no problem grooming her.

Anyway, I also forgot to mention that if you're looking for a vet, The Granville Island Veterinary Hospital is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Merlin and Tobi are alone for about 8 hours on weekdays. I'm not worried about Merlin at all. He's 6 years old and the most independent being I've ever met. Now, Tobi is our 1 year old rescue and I know she gets lonely. She's borderline-obsessed with snuggling in my lap! Though I think she's much more comfortable in my house than with strangers at a daycare. That being said, we're all playing in the yard or walking the neighborhood/park for at least 2 hours an evening and most of Saturday & Sunday morning.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have found a real difference between leaving one dog alone for many hours and two dogs alone for many hours. Sure, one day i'll come home and they'll have completely dismantled the back porch, or tied up the neighbor boy with a clothesline, but they aren't bored and chewing and having a meltdown being alone, like the whippet did for that brief time when i was teaching a full school day and leaving her at home. now i only really leave them alone for an hour or two at a time since i'm working more from home.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:10 pm 

You guys have to stop telling me how much a buddy helps your dog cope with being alone otherwise I'll end up adopting another one and then where will I sleep after they both take over my bed?
birdsonawire wrote:
I've heard a lot of good things about Unleashed Dog Spa on Oak and 22nd. I wonder why the Groom Room doesn't do full grooms for Goldens--my dog is an Aussie/Golden mix and they have no problem grooming her.

Anyway, I also forgot to mention that if you're looking for a vet, The Granville Island Veterinary Hospital is amazing.

I'll still give Groom Room a call then when she needs a haircut, maybe they just don't have an average price and don't list it. Thanks for the vet too, my dog is a bit of a lemon so we will probably have to pay them a visit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:12 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We live in the city (long commute times!) and my mom's current job has her out of the house for a good 12 hours, including Saturdays. The dog, while not a possession, is not "mine," however; I would feel too bad adopting a doggy friend if I wasn't at home for a large portion of the day. My cats seem fine, though. I'm keeping my mom's dog, Inuki, company during the day because I have a month-long break from school. The poor gal looks super bored!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I think folks have covered it. It depends on the the individual dog.

Emerson has some separation anxiety, and crating REALLY helps. Since we crate him when we're out for more than half an hour, I try not to make it too long. I'm sure Andy and Emerson both sleep the entire time, except when Andy takes breaks to bark at passers by. Occasionally Andy has a major forging drive kick in (usually around meal time) and will get into things (flour?! tea?!)

I have left them for eight hours and they're perfectly fine, but I try not to (which is easy since I'm currently unemployed.)