| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long car trips with angry cats
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:02 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

On Friday my partner and I will be driving six hours to see our families with two cats in crates. In this past, this has resulted in roughly 4 hours of incessant yowling, and at least one episode of explosive diarrhea. It was hell and I don't want to do it again. This time we're prepared with a double layer of puppy pads in their crates. How else can I make it better, short of kitty sedatives?

Post subject: Re: Long car trips with angry cats
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

How do they do outside of their crates? I know a lot of cats that just want to lie in the back window or on your lap in the car. However, my kitties also meow the entire time when in the car and I keep them crated, but I can't imagine 6 hours of that, especially if you do not want to sedate them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:33 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

They run all over the car like mad little demons, trapping themselves under the gas pedal or inside the dashboard. It's awful, haha. They're both previously feral and a little high-strung.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:11 pm 
<3

The pads are a good idea. Put them in layers so you can pull each out if they get soiled.

Safety is really your number one concern. Don't open the crates under any circumstances unless all the car doors are closed and all windows are up. (you may have to be a bit of a car contortionist to do this) I drove across the U.S. with 3 cats and previous to that over 2 states with 2 cats. It's never an easy go. I think you may have to just put up with the stress of unhappy and stressed kitties. But as long as everyone makes the trip(s) safely, that's what really matters. I hope all goes well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Feed them early the night before and skip their morning meal to prevent any more diaherra attacks. Covering the crates with blankets sometimes works (not too heavily though, you don't want to overheat them or restrict air flow) and try to keep the car as quiet as possible (no Enya under any circumstances), if they know you are there they are going to cry out to you.

Good luck, some advil for yourself might be good too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I had a thread on this on the old boards. I feel your yowling clawing shitting cat generated pain.

The best advice I can offer: cover the crates. Try to get a sedative from a vet or friend with cats. Ignore it the best you can. (I know that last bit isn't very helpful but honestly sometimes there's little you can do)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:46 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Adah wrote:
I had a thread on this on the old boards. I feel your yowling clawing shitting cat generated pain.

The best advice I can offer: cover the crates. Try to get a sedative from a vet or friend with cats. Ignore it the best you can. (I know that last bit isn't very helpful but honestly sometimes there's little you can do)

If you are going to attempt to get a sedative for your cats, may I suggest you get it from a vet only? You don't want to give your cat something that has been prescribed for someone else's cat!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If not a sedative, I think there is also a form of cat gravol that would keep them alert and stuff, but hopefully prevent the diarrhea/sickness?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:49 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Robynn wrote:
If not a sedative, I think there is also a form of cat gravol that would keep them alert and stuff, but hopefully prevent the diarrhea/sickness?

Our cat gets carsick as well (thankfully, he rarely has to travel that way), and the vet told us that there is a motion-sickness medication made specifically for them; it sounds like you should definitely look into getting some! Good luck!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:03 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

ExpiredSanity wrote:
Feed them early the night before and skip their morning meal to prevent any more diaherra attacks. Covering the crates with blankets sometimes works (not too heavily though, you don't want to overheat them or restrict air flow) and try to keep the car as quiet as possible (no Enya under any circumstances), if they know you are there they are going to cry out to you.

Good luck, some advil for yourself might be good too.

This.

Also, I don't know how well they work but I know I have seen herbal and/or homeopathic calming remedies for cats and dogs at the pet store. It probably won't knock them out, but will maybe calm them enough so they sleep alot or aren't as stressed? Or just buy tons of catnip and sprinkle it all over their crates and refresh it every time you stop to keep them high =)

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:40 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

You guys are the best, thank you. :3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

aw. Good luck with them. We drove across most of Canada with two cats in carriers and it went surprisingly well. One cat had to be sedated at night because she spazzed in hotel rooms, but they were pretty much quiet during all of the 9-13 hour rides. They were scared to death, to be sure, but just hung out in the carriers.