| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: so what do dog people use to ward off ticks (not fleas!)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so we used the last of our Frontline and we need something new. we havent had quite the issues that some people have but it doesnt work as well for us.
our vet sells Activyl now but looking at reviews on 1800petmed (the only trusted website i looked at that had it) the reviews were terrible.

so what do people use for TICKS. im less concerned about fleas as we've never had flea issues (knock on wood!) and it seems most tick stuff does fleas as well

thanks!

Post subject: Re: so what do dog people use to ward off ticks (not fleas!)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:56 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I don't know, but i'd love to hear what other people do. We took the dogs to a state park and we all got ticks. So many ticks that we had (still have, actually) a 'tick jar', which is a jar full of alcohol to put them in since ticks don't drown in water. Brian said he read it's good to keep the ticks in case your dog gets sick, so you can give the tick to the vet. A tick jar isn't weird, quit staring at me!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:59 pm 
protein lump

our vet recommended the seresto collar (so fleas and ticks). i haven't seen a tick on her so far and i hear this year has been pretty bad. we've been getting tons of dogs at work covered in them and i've heard of a lot of lyme cases in our area. she needs a new one in a couple months and i plan on going with seresto again.

i also use pet naturals of vermont brand flea and tick spray (it's also good for mosquitos and horseflies) if we're going to be outside all day/in the evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

We are using Vectra now since everything else has stopped working. We don't have issues with ticks down here, just fleas, but friends in MN are using it now too and so far it seems to work pretty well for their dog.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

esme you have kids right? how old are they? do you worry about them and hte collar? like is it ok to touch it?
i read the warnings on the 1800petmed site and it says its ok if the dog eats it so it sounds like it's not too dangerous.

the thing i hated about the frontline is once a month you basically have a big poison splotch on their fur and i dont want to pet them and i warn people who come over not to touch their scruff (only for a few days after application) and i wont let them up on the bed for a few days.
and now we have a 14 month old so im even more paranoid about it.
the collar sounds like a good alternative to the topical stuff but it also sounds like somehow the same stuff is coming out of the collar and absorbed onto their skin.

we live in a super bad tick area. we have some woods near our house that we sometimes walk the dogs in and we have named it Tick Woods because the dogs are basically covered when we come out.

we get the lyme/lepto vaccine every year (cant remember if it's one vax or 2 seperate)
they've both tested positive for exposure to anaplasmosis which is another tick borne illness.

I HATE TICKS.

MBM i have read that too that you can get a tick tested but i always thought it was more if you pull it off a human. for dogs they routinely can test for all the tick borne illnesses so im not sure the tick itself would be very useful. here they do whats called a snap test or something like that. it's a heartworm test and it tests for all the tick illnesses and my dogs have tested positive for EXPOSURE which means basically that they have been exposed to the illnesses (anaplasmosis specifically) but they are showing symptoms which could mean they dont have it or i guess it could mean it's just hanging out in their body or something (not 100% sure, im definitely not a vet or scientist). some people will treat with antibiotics if their dog tests positive for exposure but we chose not too since they are healthy and not showing any signs. i would think if they had the full blown illness it would show up as being infected rather than exposed.

the signs for tick borne illnesses are pretty easy to spot too. lameness is the big one, then lethargy, vomitting i believe.

UGH I HATE TICKS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:59 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I give my two dogs Trifexis, which is once a month and oral. It ain't cheap, but it's an all-in-one combo that prevents, fleas, ticks, and heartworm. I haven't had to deal with a tick once.

Granted, I live in a fairly populous area and my dogs aren't out "in the country" very often, but ticks are rampant in these parts. FWIW, neither of my pups has had problems with Trifexis!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wonder if that's what my husband saw the last time we were at the vet.
he said he saw some oral thing that was for ticks/heartworm. i saw it out of the corner of my eye and thought it was a heartworm thing and we do Heartgard and have had no issues with that so i was more paying attention to whatever crazy dog i had with me.

that might be the answer to my problems.

i looked on amazon about the collar thing and someone is complaining that the packaging but not the website says to not allow your dog to sleep on your bed or with children when they wear it.
hard to tell if it's an actual concern or more of a "cover your asparagus" thing.

ive yet to figure out what the purpose of ticks are other than to be gross and annoying and spread disease. i mean every creature has a role in the universe even if we dont like it right? what about ticks? i dont even think many birds eat them. the only birds ive ever heard of eating ticks i think are guinea hens.

ugh i gotta stop ranting about ticks!!!

thanks for all your suggestions keep them coming!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:06 pm 
protein lump

LisaPunk wrote:
esme you have kids right? how old are they? do you worry about them and hte collar? like is it ok to touch it?
i read the warnings on the 1800petmed site and it says its ok if the dog eats it so it sounds like it's not too dangerous.

i don't, but michael's niece and nephews have been around while belle is wearing the collar. they're a little over 2, a lot over 2 (but not quite 3 yet), and 6.
it's definitely not like the old powdery tick collars that used to be around. there's no powder or residue or anything. they don't smell weird. you can wash the dog and everything and leave the collar on. if i felt weird about it in any way, i would keep the kids away from it - i hear you about the frontline, i always felt bad for a few days after putting it on because no one wanted to pet the dog or have her lay all over you or anything - but it seems fine. that said, it's got to work somehow, i'm just not sure how.

if you decide to go with the collar, i've read that you should give give it a week or two to spread all over their body. we started belle's in february, so i wasn't overly worried about it, but this time of year, you might want to have a spray or back up for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i must be confusing you with someone else!

i read on amazon the same thing on one of the reviews somewhere about it taking awhile to work since it needs to spread through their body.
i sent my vet an email to see what brand of oral stuff they were advertising so i can read the reviews on that.

<<insert further angry ranting about ticks!>>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

when i interned at a farm that was overrun with dog ticks, i learned that sulfur and geraniol can repel ticks. so i started using jason's dandruff shampoo with sulfur in it, and i would spray myself from head to toe in geranium essential oil. seemed to work. i don't know how it'd affect the dog's sniffer if you were to put concentrated drops along his/her collar, but a diluted spray on the fur before an adventure would probably be fine. (or switch out to a geranium coated collar before the adventures.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just found this thread when I was looking for tick control. I've always used Frontline Plus, but I hate putting it on my pup. Some of the suggestions made in this thread I'd looked into previously, but also didn't like the possible side effects. Like the Serestro collar has some side effects people report which were sorta concerning and Trifexis is not labeled for use against ticks. There is a new oral medication that is supposed to treat fleas and ticks, but when I read more about it, a really sizable percentage of dogs have diarrhea and/or vomiting. I tried to find natural drops/sprays, but they seem hit-or-miss with how well they work. So has anyone found a better tick control in the almost 2 years since this discussion started?