| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: no more kale spines for dogs?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my weirdo dogs eat kale spines and i know some other ppker's feed their pooches kale spines.

i saw this on facebook today:

Kale can cause kidney and bladder stones
Kale might be nutritious for humans, but keep it away from your dogs. Lots of pet owners have started feeding kale ribs to their dogs as a treat, but kale is high in calcium oxalate, which can cause health issues including kidney and bladder stones. Most dogs can recover at home with medication, however hospitalization and supportive care may be necessary to aid recovery.

http://www.mspca.org/vet-services/primary-carewellness/human-foods-to-avoid-feeding.html

Post subject: Re: no more kale spines for dogs?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LisaPunk wrote:
my weirdo dogs eat kale spines and i know some other ppker's feed their pooches kale spines.

i saw this on facebook today:

Kale can cause kidney and bladder stones
Kale might be nutritious for humans, but keep it away from your dogs. Lots of pet owners have started feeding kale ribs to their dogs as a treat, but kale is high in calcium oxalate, which can cause health issues including kidney and bladder stones. Most dogs can recover at home with medication, however hospitalization and supportive care may be necessary to aid recovery.

http://www.mspca.org/vet-services/primary-carewellness/human-foods-to-avoid-feeding.html

I would think you would have to be feeding an exceptional amount of stems for this to be a problem, or potentially more an issue for dogs with an existing condition. Interesting, though. I will have to look into this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I was thinking the same thing the couple mine get every once in awhile probably doesn't do any harm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

That article was so uninformative - can't they at least say how much they can have without it being a problem?! (I have never given my dog kale stems but she would probably like it since she eats all kinds of fruits & veg that my old dog wouldn't have touched) I always knew that dogs weren't supposed to have chocolate, so when my old dog ate two entire batches of cookies for a total of 8 oz semisweet chocolate, I called the emergency vet number and they told me that for a dog his size (85 pounds) the lethal dose was TWO POUNDS! That is NOT the impression you get with all the freakout warnings!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:05 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Dave the Cat wrote:
That article was so uninformative - can't they at least say how much they can have without it being a problem?! (I have never given my dog kale stems but she would probably like it since she eats all kinds of fruits & veg that my old dog wouldn't have touched) I always knew that dogs weren't supposed to have chocolate, so when my old dog ate two entire batches of cookies for a total of 8 oz semisweet chocolate, I called the emergency vet number and they told me that for a dog his size (85 pounds) the lethal dose was TWO POUNDS! That is NOT the impression you get with all the freakout warnings!

This is a great link to figure out chocolate toxicity:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/ ... nteractive

It's still good to be careful about chocolate even if you have a large dog because they can still get pretty severe stomach upset and you don't want that to develop.

The grapes and raisins one is tricky because they still haven't figured out what exactly in them is harmful and some dogs eat them in small amounts with no ill effects while others can get very sick from just a few.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:10 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah, it's different with all dogs, the toxicity amount. And as for the kale stems, kidney an bladder stones are a more slowly over time thing. I think they're just saying saying kale contains a lot of X which leads to increased risk of Y.

I'm pretty bummed about this, Ginny loves kale. But I'll heed the advice cause she's old and I'm starting to get real paranoid about how much longer we have together. I'm aiming for another 8 years (she's 11), so I gotta up my game with keeping her healthy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for the link, Moon! That was cool. I love all the dog pics! My dog (45 pounds) ate half a package of Oreos the other day and she was fine - it was totally my fault for leaving them on the counter; I try to be careful but dogs will sniff it out every time!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:04 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

damn. I've fed my dogs plenty of kale stems and other dark greens. I guess I need to stop? better safe than sorry I guess...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:31 am 
Chip Strong

To add to the confusion regarding this article, kale doesn't actually seem to be high in oxalate. Spinach is high in oxalate. Raw spinach contains 656mg while kale contains only 2 mg (per cup). This is per a Harvard nutrition spreadsheet, which I found through veganhealth.org: https://regepi.bwh.harvard.edu/health/Oxalate/files Maybe the author was thinking of spinach? It seems like a mistake to me.

Regardless, in both people and dogs, kidney stones are very painful and will make themselves known. Not a silent killer, so I'm not sure why the scare mongering.

My only issue with kale stems is that I worry my dog won't completely chew them, and maybe too many could lead to an obstruction. So, I usually break them in half if they are long. I love giving them to her -- especially if there are some leaves left on them. She rips off the leaves as if she were tearing apart a carcass. Get that kale!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:20 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

My Golden loves the kale "dropsies" she devours them!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

vet student here. I did a little research, don't worry about the kale. it isn't going to cause a stone to form on its own. While it may contain calcium oxalates it isnt significant enough to actually cause formation on its own, especially at the normal amounts that we give as a snack to our dogs. When I make Kale, my girl gets all the ribs from the whole bunch.
That said, a dog that already has stones should avoid it as that can only be counterproductive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:04 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

chamaeleonsky wrote:
vet student here. I did a little research, don't worry about the kale. it isn't going to cause a stone to form on its own. While it may contain calcium oxalates it isnt significant enough to actually cause formation on its own, especially at the normal amounts that we give as a snack to our dogs. When I make Kale, my girl gets all the ribs from the whole bunch.
That said, a dog that already has stones should avoid it as that can only be counterproductive.

Thank you for adding your comment. How do you define "normal amounts"? I give 2-3 kale/collard ribs every morning when I make our green smoothies. Is that considered excessive? I wonder if the nutritional info on the ribs is different from the leaves, because he never gets those.