| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about cat urine (pH question)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:58 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

My kitty's (10 months old) urinalysis came back with level 8 pH. According to the vet, it should be around 6. His solution was to feed her an "analyzed" food like Science Diet or Purina. Yeah, no.

I've been feeding her Taste of the Wild grain-free dry food, and she loves it, but from my internet research it seems like wet food may be the answer? I really don't know anything about this, though. I'm just relying on Dr. Google.

We experimented with Wellness canned food last night ($3 per 12oz can... yikes) and she was initially interested and ate a few bites, and then went back and finished the remaining dry food in her bowl.

Has anyone had any experience with high pH? How did you fix it?

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about cat urine (pH question)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:14 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Just so you know, the $3/can of wellness isn't really too bad since it'll last a few days, and generally if you buy a case they'll give you 10% off. We get 5-6 meals out of a can (one cat gets 2.5 oz twice a day, and the other 2 oz twice a day), so depending on the needs of your cat (younger/more active will need more) a can should last you 2-3 days. Wellness is actually cheaper for us in the long run than feeding Fancy Feast.

Anyway, we only feed our cats wet because it's the lowest carb diet we can give them (high carb cat diets are linked to diabetes, kidney issues, stones, ect.), and for the extra moisture (most cats aren't great about drinking water). Plus, one of my cats did develop diabetes and had to have insulin and a special vet diet for about a year that did absolutely nothing to help with her blood glucose, but within a month of switching to all low-carb wet and closely monitoring glucose levels and giving insulin as needed was in remission and has been for three years.

Even if you end up just feeding one meal of wet, and one of dry vs. all well, it'll definitely be helpful for your cat.

Sorry, this wasn't too helpful about urine pH, but I am a big supported of all wet (or as much as possible) diets for cats.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:42 pm 

Thanks, that's very helpful actually! This is my first cat, so I'm learning as I go.

I was thinking she'd go through a can a day, which would add up, but maybe I'm overestimating. She is pretty young and active, though. I ultimately don't really care what it costs... I just want it to be healthy and for her to actually want to eat it.

I'm considering buying her a fountain also to entice her to drink more water.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

If you're looking for grain-free wet food that's more affordable than Wellness, By Nature is pretty similar and cheaper--around $1.25 a can, I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

ashley wrote:
Thanks, that's very helpful actually! This is my first cat, so I'm learning as I go.

I was thinking she'd go through a can a day, which would add up, but maybe I'm overestimating. She is pretty young and active, though. I ultimately don't really care what it costs... I just want it to be healthy and for her to actually want to eat it.

I'm considering buying her a fountain also to entice her to drink more water.

Oops, just noticed she is only 10 months! Yep, she'd probably need most of a can each day to meet her caloric needs. Maybe just try to work her up to one meal a day of wet and One of dry? That should be enough to make a difference, and hopefully not be too costly.

I don't really know when a cat is considered an adult, but from what I recall the range of calories to feed an adult cat is 200-300 (she'd be on the upper end obviously) for indoor kitties, give or take. Just something to keep in mind when you're trying to figure out how much she needs :)

I've heard mixed reviews about fountains (it seems either cats use them or think they're the best toy ever), so I'd try to get one from a place with a good return policy in case she falls into the later category (I know my cats would haha).

Oh! And if she is seeming snobby about wet food, Fancy Feast is basically car crack. It's by Purina (ick), but it got my girls totally onto wet, and from there is was really easy to get them onto other brands of wet food.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:04 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

FWIW ashley, they told me at the animal shelter to do half wet, half dry. 1/2 cup dry, 1/2 of the larger can wet (or 1 whole small can). I usually make sure that the dry is always there, and then give a quarter big can wet in the morning and a quarter in the evening. I give her Wellness CORE Kitten formula. I am curious about her urine pH too though because sometimes it gets a little ammonia-y. Did you notice a smell? I also don't know if that's because she has an enclosed litter box and while I'm good about scooping, it'd been a while since I scrubbed out the box.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:52 pm 

I didn't notice a smell, no. She peed in the sink twice, so I thought it might be a UTI, so I took her in to get tested. That came back negative, fortunately.

She officially won't eat Wellness. I tried again this morning and she is having none of that. Maybe I'll try the Fancy Feast trick. My only fear is that she'll get hooked on that and refuse to eat anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:50 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Pam Johnson-Bennett, a cat beahviorist, has a page for switching kitties from dry to wet - maybe it will help!

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/transitioning-your-cat-from-dry-food-to-wet-food/

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com