Post subject: Let's talk about feral cats, baby
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:44 am 
Saggy Butt

Let's talk about feeding stray cats, baby
Let's talk about them and me
Let's talk about all the good things
And the bad things that may be
Let's talk about cats!

So when we moved into our house six years ago, there were two stray cats on the block that I believe may have belonged to the people living directly across the street from us who were older, on disability, and foreclosed on. They have continued to live in the neighborhood (the cats) and I see them a few times a week. They are obviously adults, and look healthy and well fed. They are feral and can't be approached. I haven't fed them. Occasionally we see unfamiliar cats but I believe they must belong to people in the neighborhood, as I only see them once or twice and then never again.

Starting a few weeks ago, we began to see several younger, smaller stray cats regularly in our yard, on the sidewalk, etc. I can think of 3-4 that are new just in the past few weeks. I put out some leftover food one night, and ever since then, two in particular are coming. I have put out food 3 more times since then, and now one is sitting in the yard or on my back stairs waiting. They run right away when approached. The tamest one will come within about 8 feet but not closer. I started to look on the Feral Cat Coalition website to see what I could do. At least it's not winter! I am OK with feeding and doing a catch/neuter or spay/ release with a few. But I'm employed full-time and I'm in school and I don't have time to do more than that. And then tonight when I thought about putting out food again, there was another cat! I can't have a feral colony living in my backyard and feeding them every day. Could they be siblings or are they sending out messages to each other about the food?'

What do I do? I feel awful about not feeding them when they are clearly hungry, (When I put out food the other night, they were just scarfing it like they hadn't eaten all day.) but I also don't want to reinforce a relationship I cannot commit to.

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about feral cats, baby
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh, and I'm in Portland, Oregon. The weather will be good here until about the middle of October.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Have you contacted a TNR group or the Humane Society? The best thing for feral cats is that they be fixed so they don't make more feral cats.

I secured a spot for a (possibly) feral mama cat and her litter of kittens, but I have to trap them myself and i'm scared shiitake-less. We actually do have a live trap that the previous owners of our house left behind, but we've never used it. I'm so worried i'm going to fork it up and the mama is going to take off.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:44 am 
Saggy Butt

We have the Feral Cat Coalition, whose mission is to help people in Portland TNR feral cats and get them adopted if possible. I will be calling them this week. One of the cats, the friendliest, is now spending about 18 hours a day on our back step or backyard. She seems like she might be ok as an indoor/outdoor pet.