| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gingivitis? Cats and Dog teeth cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 am 
Semen Strong

Carlito, our kitty has gingivitis. Our vet's suggestion is to brush his teeth. I've tried this and it doesn't seem to be well received (scratching, struggling, low pitched growling and general unhappiness). Cuddles has the worst breath ever and also has staining on his teeth.

How do you brush your kitty and doggy teeth?

Post subject: Re: Gingivitis? Cats and Dog teeth cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:17 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Neither of my kitties enjoy having their teeth brushed either so I feed them dental food to help prevent disease. I don't know if that would work for getting rid of the gingivitis though :/ howlfully someone else will have something more helpful to add!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I want very badly to get my cats into a tooth brushing routine, but haven't had the discipline to do it. I figure if I can get one of my cats to actually enjoy being pilled (she actually jumps up on the bed and starts to purr when it's pilling time--and I have to pull her mouth open to pop in the pill; she doesn't like that part, but she seems to like everything else about the routine), it can't be that much harder to get the cats to enjoy/tolerate having their teeth brushed.

Trouble is, the first part of getting a cat used to toothbrushing is to actually get them used to you handling their mouth, first by touching the corners of their mouths, and then rubbing their gums with your finger. And I don't like that part very much; it's so stinky and seems so dirty. If I could go straight to the toothbrush and have them like it, I think it would be easier.

I need to try again, though. It's such an easy way to try and prevent pain, trouble, and expense later on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i think there is a lot of trial and error, and a lot of patience, needed to pull this off successfully. one of my cats has fantastic teeth (he's 12), and the other one has pretty bad tartar, etc. (he's 8), so i have to brush one and not the other. it's been a long and sometimes arduous process, and i'm still not super-confident that i'm doing a great job, but here are some tips in case they are helpful:

my vet said that it doesn't matter so much *what* you use, as long as your cat will tolerate it. so you could use a 'pet toothbrush,' or you could use one of those little finger toothbrushes (the ones that look like a rubber thimble, with bristles on the end), or you could use a piece of gauze--just something that has a bit of friction to it. i've been using gauze.

my vet also recommended putting finley on the counter (something up high, so you have good leverage and they are less likely to run away, ha ha), then have him face away from me, so his butt is against my chest. it's best/easiest if he sits down, but sometimes he remains standing. either way, if he's facing away, you're able to 'contain' him a little better because his butt is against you, and your arms end up around him.

i wrap a square of gauze around my right fingertip, then hold his face with my left hand (basically i'm holding his mouth closed by getting a good grip on his head... so, thumb on the forehead, other four fingers under the chin). as my vet said, their skulls are hard and you're not going to hurt him by holding his mouth shut, so get a pretty good grip. then take the finger with the gauze and start at the canine tooth--that's your foot in the door, so to speak. once you slide up that tooth you can get under the cheek flap and rub against the teeth that are further back. this is usually the point in the process where finley says 'oh no you didn't' and picks a paw up or something. i rub for a couple of seconds, then stop. i go back for one more go, then switch sides for two more quick rounds on the left side.

i started out using just plain gauze, and eventually worked my way up to adding a dab of cat toothpaste (one dab for the 2 attempts on the right, then a fresh dab for the 2 attempts on the left). he doesn't love it, but he does tolerate it very well. i give him a dental treat afterward (those greenies treats for cats). it's not perfect to give a snack after brushing, but it's part of the positive reinforcement, and at least it's a dental treat. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Bear won't let me brush her teeth, so we have compromised. She will lick the paste off the tube and I also give her C.E.T. oral hygine chews. They smell awful, but she loves them and I think they are helping since she didn't need any teeth pulled at the last cleaning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the input! Its really helpful.

Our vet confirmed that like people gingivitis and gum infections can lead to heart issues, so it would be great to keep the little ones healthy. And avoid more vet bills in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When we brush our dogs' teeth (which is not as regularly as it should be at all), we do it when they are resting comfortably lying on the bed on their sides. We start by petting their muzzles. Then we play with their lips, lifting them up to look at their teeth (we do this more often that we brush so they get used to it). Then we brush one side. If possible, we brush the other side by lifting up the head. If they get too upset, then we stop. We use a human toothbrush and no toothpaste. We haven't tried brushing the teeth of our cats yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:08 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We tried brushing our cats teeth, but it just wasn't going to happen. They absolutely refused to cooperate! I eventually found this product which I think helped a bit. http://www.trinatural.com/supplements-m ... entist.php It's got enzymes & probiotics.
Where it really helped was with one of my cats who has pooping problems. I think his system was all messed up because of a few courses of antibiotics he was on, and he seemed to improve overnight with this stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:29 pm 
protein lump

bumping this because finn has really bad gingivitis and i feel like a terrible person. i brush his teeth as often as he will let me (a couple times a week), but it's not helping much. i was giving him the CET chews, but they've been on back-order at the vet since, like, january. the vet recommended purina dental food, but… purina. does anyone know of any other dental foods that aren't made by someone horrible? i looked at petco and they were all pretty much crepe.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:43 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I don't know if this company meets your standards but when my kitties were 4 or 5 months old and I took them to the vet for neutering I complained about "dog breath". She recommended Royal Canin dry food. I've been feeding that to the kitty sisters for several years now and neither one has "dog breath" anymore. One of them developed a chronic illness which is treated with a prescription version of Royal Canin, but my understanding is the dental ingredients are in all dry foods in their line.

I used to have a dog and when she was about 9 years old I took her to the vet to have her teeth cleaned. It required general anesthesia to do a through job but it lasted the rest of her life - another 6 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:49 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Nah, the dental foods are really pretty garbagey.

There's a newish thing where dog dental hygienists go to grooming salons and pet supply stores and offer fairly thorough cleanings while the dogs are awake. A friend of mine had her dog done and found out a lot about the process and was raving about it. Something to look in to.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:49 am 
protein lump

i should mention finn is a kitty :)
i feel like this poor kid's teeth are going to cost us a fortune. he has a vet visit coming up soon so i guess i'll see if they have any other suggestions besides the brushing and purina.

good to know about the hygienist at groomers! i'll have to ask around because we do have a dog and while her teeth are in pretty good shape, i'd be happy to pay someone to clean them without the cost of the vet cleaning.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

has finn had a dental from the vet yet? finley has had a couple (he just turned 11), and in between them i brush as much as i can, but not every single day. and lately we've been dealing with other crazy health issues so i've given him a TOTAL pass on teeth brushing for an embarrassingly long time... but anyway, my point is that if finn gets a dental, it might help give you somewhat of a "fresh start" and then you can re-double your brushing efforts from there. the vet version (at my vet, anyway) is pretty darn thorough but he doesn't need one every year or anything.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:29 am 
protein lump

he hasn't. we just got him in november, so he's only been to them once for kind of an entry visit. that's good to know that they don't do a yearly dental. i keep reading things on the internets that say every 6 months when gingivitis is really bad. his mouth looks pretty terrible to me, but i guess i'll see what the vet says. it looks so painful and it makes me feel really bad, but he doesn't seem to be bothered at all.