| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abused kitty adoption- bringing her into a home with cats?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:31 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

My heart is breaking for this kitty.

http://www.purrfectsolutions.com/adoptable_cats/piper

I'm contemplating calling one of her foster parents and setting up a meeting for when I come back home from Christmas vacation. If it was just me living alone, I'd get her in two seconds but I do have to (large) boycats who are currently living with me. They are very good and sweet and smushy but they do fight/play and can be a bit rambunctious.

I'm hopeful as one of my other cats was traumatized and is now a happy little furball who is extremely friendly and (as far as I can tell) well moved on from his past trauma... but I've never had mixed gender cats either.

Is there anything else I should consider/ ask the foster parent??

Any help appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Abused kitty adoption- bringing her into a home with cat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:35 pm 
Semen Strong

What a beautiful girl! And she sounds like she needs the love <3 I know there are a ton of great cat people on here, so they'll definitely tell you what to ask. I'd want to know whatever the foster mother knows - medical history, how she is with other cats, dogs, strangers etc.

We have integrated cats without an issue - just put the new cats into a room and let everyone sniff eachother through the door. It took one of the cats just about a day to decide that he liked our home and he sauntered out, but the others took a few more days.

Good luck! I hope she ends up being the right fit for you - at which point you have to change your username right?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:43 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Tofulish wrote:
What a beautiful girl! And she sounds like she needs the love <3 I know there are a ton of great cat people on here, so they'll definitely tell you what to ask. I'd want to know whatever the foster mother knows - medical history, how she is with other cats, dogs, strangers etc.

Good luck! I hope she ends up being the right fit for you - at which point you have to change your username right?

crepe!! you are so right. Oy. Threecatsnowaiting? Ten bucks says in the next couple of years I have five.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Morecatsthanlaps :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:56 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Tofulish wrote:
Morecatsthanlaps :)

YES. Thankfully, I have a big man who has about 2.5x the lap space. Which means, really, I should adopt enough cats to cover both our laps and then one per hand so they can get pets..... right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:00 pm 
Semen Strong

It would be crazy not to. Crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Piper looks so adorable. I've only ever had boy cats so not sure how well they do when it's boys & girls. I introduced new cats with the same method as Tofulish. The most recent introduction took a bit longer, and there was hissing on and off for a couple of months, then one day they were fine with each other.
Maine Coons are known for having great personalities. One of mine was and he was really so good natured and sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's been my experience that introducing new female cats to established male cats goes over WAY better than introducing them to other females. Or male cats to established females for that matter. Lady cats are total territorial bisques. I've never had more than a few days of hissy fits (no pun intended!) with males, but when I tried to introduce a new male cat to my previous female cat it was like world war 3 was happening in my apartment and she was totally the villainous dictator.

So I'd be hopeful, is what I'm saying. Good luck! She looks so sweet. Von m is right, maine coons are total lovers.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:42 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

What a sweet girl! I've had mixed gender cats before and it really makes no difference. I've had boys and girls get along, and boys and girls hate each other, and then some unrequited love.

Obviously the most important question is how does this kitty get along with other kitties. They should be able to give you some tips on how to bring a new cat into the home. Basically you need to give the new cat a space that will be hers...ie. if your boys never go into the bathroom, keep new kitty isolated in the bathroom for a little bit. Then slowly introduce her to the boys.

Personally I would introduce them first to see if there's any issues. Maybe they'll just take to each other and there will be no need for isolation. But, there probably will be some territory issues so you may have to go with the isolation method. You'll know within a week whether it will work out so perhaps you can talk to the foster mom about options if they can't get along. I'm not a pro so please take my advice with a grain of salt. Perhaps consult some shelters' websites for more information on how to introduce a new cat.

On a personal note, my kitties got along wonderfully at first and have grown to hate each other over the years. It's really not that bad. It would be great to one day magically see them curled up together but it probably won't happen. They both seem perfectly happy hating each other! Right now one is curled up on the bed and the other on a blanket on a chair dozing quite peacefully and comfortably :)

EDIT: Oh and agreed on maine coons being super sweet lovey dovey kitties!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:10 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Oh she is so pretty :)

I have had cats all of my life and one of my current cats was also abused before I adopted him. I also volunteer at a cat rescue where we have 3 former abuse victims.

I wish there was a hard and fast rule that I could give you but really some cats simply do better with other cats than others regardless of their history. My (abused) cat is fine with other cats UNLESS they try to challenge him and then he gets all kinds of aggressive (my 2 other cats are very docile).

He however has a big problem with everyone- cat or human- when he feels threatened or scared. I would not bring another "alpha" into the household- he just gets too crazy and mean.

Some of our shelter cats get very nervous around other cats, others NEED to have another cat they can play/interact with. We have one in particular who gets very nervous if one of his "friends" isn't near by and will start to cry.

I would ask how Piper does with other cats and then if you decide to give it a try be prepared to give everyone time to get used to the new arrangement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:57 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks everyone! I talked to her foster mom and apparently she really likes boy cats, so that sounds promising :). I talked to the owner of the shelter and it sounds like they would prefer if I tried fostering her at first before doing any official paperwork.

I'm planning on meeting her after my vacation next week- so excited!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:00 pm 
Semen Strong

YAY! Twocatswaitingtillaftervacation!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:30 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Tofulish wrote:
YAY! Twocatswaitingtillaftervacation!!!!!

I am beyond excited. I have an inkling it's meant to be. My boyfriend thinks I'm insane... I'm lucky he's a pushover for any four legged beast.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:37 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Congratulations, she looks like a cutie! As long as you can afford the vet bills, 3 kitties just mean more cuddling and another litter box.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:10 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

She's lovely!! I'm so excited to think that she might get a loving forever home with you and your boys. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 pm 
Semen Strong

So how did it all turn out? And if you ended up taking her home do you have pictures?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:22 am 
Inflexitarian

awww what a beautiful kitty (and random comment; love the one foster pic of the male gamer petting her; guys can like cats too)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge