| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sudden animosity between kitties
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

bill murray and ghostface have been together since birth. they are best buds. i've never seen them seriously fight. so this is odd...

bill had to go get an allergy shot yesterday. she's had to get one once a year since she was born, so this is nothing new (they'll be 4 in may). i took her to the clinic, brought her back...she was only gone from the house for about an hour. now, ghostface keeps hissing at bill! anytime bill gets close, ghostface sniffs her, backs away, growls and hisses.

this has never happened before...what on earth could be going through ghostface's head?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post subject: Re: sudden animosity between kitties
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i've definitely had cats do this after bringing one back from the vet. i have no clue why they do it, but they get over it after awhile. it's never caused any long-term problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:57 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

shew! good. i was nervous... ghostface is the type that pees on whatever if something changes. i don't need any more of that happening.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:25 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Nimrod (manx) does this to Sophie (long-haired persian) after the groomers. I think that maybe she smells different and Nimrod sees this as a threat? Hardcastle is probably right .. it should blow over in a day or two.

I think that Bill Murray is an awesome name for a cat.

My tumblr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

This week I had to bring Tristan to the vet twice and Gershwin was like stalking him and constantly sniffing his butt when he came home both times. He would let out low growls, too. Tristan cuffed him upside the head and then they went back to being friends. I always just assumed it's because Tristan smells different! I'm sure your kitties will be BFF again in no time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I love that you have a girl kitty named Bill Murray!

My cats hiss at each other after vet visits, but they hiss at each other anyway sometimes. I'm no help!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My super soft submissive cat started doing this after my more dominant cat went to the vet for a teeth cleaning. The vet said that it is because the cat smelled like the vet clinic. He suggested wiping the cat down with a damp towel, which I did and the problem was solved. He also said that it would resolve on its own in a day or two if I didn't want to do the towel thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, after I bring the one cat home from the vet if the other hasn't gone (or maybe this even happens if they both go at the same time, but I've more noticed it when one goes than the other doesn't because I have an older cat who makes more trips to the vet than the younger). Anyway, there's always an adjustment period of the younger cat bothering the older cat, sniffing him, grooming him aggressively, not leaving him alone until a bit of "leave me the eff alone" hissing ensues but they always settle down after a few hours, or not even that long. I find cats are acutely sensitive to any change in environment, even if a kitty they know well comes in after being away just a few hours, that's a change in their environment to them, (I think) and anyway, they briefly react as if they don't know each other at first and then they calm down and are back to being BFFs in a matter of hours...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:38 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Are they getting along again?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:35 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Zoey wrote:
Are they getting along again?

they are! and it's good to know this is normal. i guess they've always gone together before, and i just forgot? who knows. they don't have to go that often. next time i'll try that damp towel trick.

and next month they both get to go together, so it should be fine. it's me, driving them back in forth in the car, that i worry about. the yowling really gives me a headache.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.