| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat Pee On The Bed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:24 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I assume it is Mortis (has that man cat pee smell and Mady never peed the bed before) but he has peed on the bed twice this week. Both the same spot - my side near my pillows. I have to go buy new pillows today. He was seen by the vet before we adopted him - clean bill of health. He also uses one of three litter boxes to pee and poo in at other times. Why???

Post subject: Re: Cat Pee On The Bed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:45 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't know how long you've had Mortis, but it would be worth it to take him in for a check up to rule out health issues. He could have developed a UTI or have some crystals, so he's avoiding the box because he's associating it with discomfort. Crystals and UTI wouldn't be found on a normal exam (they'd have to do a urinalysis).

After you've ruled out health issues, what kind of litter do you use? I know clay is bad for the environment, but it really is what most cats prefer, so if you're using something else I'd put at least one box out of clay to see if he prefers it. Also, if you don't scoop your litter boxes twice a day, Id try that as well. Some cats are picky as hell and will only go in a fresh box.

Get an enzyme cleaner if you don't already have one to clean spots he pees in as well to help prevent peeing in the same spots.

Hope you solve the problem!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:31 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

When Goji came she peed precisely between my couch cushions twice before I discovered (I presume she lived in a junkyard because she was feral and the world was her litterbox) but I covered the sofa with a doubled plastic drop sheet (bought for $5 apiece at a hardware store, the kind used to protect furniture when you're painting/renovating made of garbage bag material--I used two) and she still peed there, then I spread books all over that and she stopped peeing there. I just had to break her habit, but she didn't have a vet problem per se. Rule out with the vet first and if Mortis is fine then I guess you have to look at it as a behavior issue. For a bed I remember I've seen someone suggest here you could lay a plastic shower curtain over it as that's about the right size and they're generally made of a thicker, more durable plastic that the pee can't get through if they do have an accident. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:16 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Simply_Love wrote:
I don't know how long you've had Mortis, but it would be worth it to take him in for a check up to rule out health issues. He could have developed a UTI or have some crystals, so he's avoiding the box because he's associating it with discomfort. Crystals and UTI wouldn't be found on a normal exam (they'd have to do a urinalysis).

After you've ruled out health issues, what kind of litter do you use? I know clay is bad for the environment, but it really is what most cats prefer, so if you're using something else I'd put at least one box out of clay to see if he prefers it. Also, if you don't scoop your litter boxes twice a day, Id try that as well. Some cats are picky as hell and will only go in a fresh box.

he has not been with us even a month! pees and poops in the other boxes without any issues. i am going to contact his foster - see if she has any insight - they i believe he was crated. i will make a vet appointment for him shortly.

i am thinking it is psychological? like it is my side of the bed - my pillow and after him and mady play near/around the bed. they can get pretty rough - not mean just rough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:31 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Rule out UTI; it is the most common cause of urinating outside the box in cats and more common in males than females.

If it's not UTI, it could be a territorial thing. The bed is the most scent-heavy object in the entire home, so cats that pee there might be trying to send a message. Try putting another litterbox very close to the bed and make sure to clean with an enzymatic cleaner to prevent him from marking there again. Cats also might pee on the bed sporadically when stressed or anxious. I had an issue with a cat who peed on the sofa whenever she felt anxious. The solution was to block off the area she was peeing on and start having daily interactive play sessions with her and a food routine (instead of leaving food out all the time).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

missmuffcake wrote:
i am thinking it is psychological? like it is my side of the bed - my pillow and after him and mady play near/around the bed. they can get pretty rough - not mean just rough.

Ruling out health stuff, it can DEFINITELY be psychological! One of our cats is really quiet and nervous, and when we lived in a smaller place, she used to HATE when we had multiple people in the apartment at a time. After guests would leave, within 24 hours she would pee on my husband's pillow or on his side of the bed (he had her originally) to let him know she'd been upset. (Once we started locking the cats out of our bedroom, she would pee on his side of the couch!) It's a way of letting you know they're stressed, not necessarily health-related.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:52 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

i tossed out the old pillows - bought new ones. washed everything with soapy hot water and trimmed his nails (in case he was freaked about getting caught on the covers). we also have been trying to keep the door shut. no pee so far!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:39 pm 
Chip Strong

We only have 2 cats now, Raymond and Annie, and both were extreme stress wetters, but have stopped completely since our older 2 died. Although they dislike each other but got along okay with the other 2, I think they both feel better with fewer catmates. We had such a problem we had to keep the cats out of all of our bedrooms, and throw rugs were never safe either. Raymond's favorite was the guest room bed, but then when one of his 'siblings' was dying, he got so stressed that any bed wasn't safe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:28 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

ugh - pee free lasted a week. he peed again last night. :/ debating if i should just buy another new pillow or try washing the $4 pillow i bought from target last week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:25 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

mortis just took a dump in my office :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ay! You might want to see if your vet will prescribe some Prozac for Mortis and see if that helps. Or try OTC Feliway hormone and see if that helps. We have inappropriate pee'ers in our house (*sigh*) and after ruling out UTIs and crystals in the urine, we dose two of our kitties with Prozac from a compounding pharmacy. It's mostly successful, but not entirely. We have many litterboxes, and they are scooped twice a day, and we have definitely noticed a higher probability of inappropriate peeing if they're not clean.

Also, we have an oldster kitty (16+ yrs) who just stays in our bedroom who has issues with peeing on the bed mostly when she gets too hot. We used to keep an electric blanket on the bed and found that she would wet the bed when the blanket was on and she went into a really deep sleep. We stopped with the extra heat for her and things got better, but we still keep a rubber sheet on the bed because we don't want her to wreck the mattress. We try not to let her get under the covers when we're gone. We also got a little rubberized crib sheet and put that under her very own snuggly cat bed that goes on top of our bed when we're away during the day. It's extra insurance.

We have another oldster kitty who sleeps in the bedroom with the 16 year old and she insists on sleeping near my head, so much so that she will give me a stiff neck from lying on and around my neck. So to get her off my head, I scooted my own pillow down from the headboard and put a cat bed up there for her to lie on. She likes it and no longer drapes herself over my head. So, you might want to try that somehow, if possible. The cat beds are way more washable than a pillow, and I like that if they mess up something, it's theirs and not mine.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure. Inappropriate urination is a maddening problem, but try not to think that Mortis is trying to get back at you for some unknown reason or that he is angry with you. Cats don't really think in those terms, I've found. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:09 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

i am not sure if it is stress. he was just chillin' came into the room and pooed in the corner. i clean the boxes 2 - 3 times a day! i found 2 different poos so this was not his first time. :(

i am going to see if i can get him in soon. i think it is behavioral. when mar was battling kidney disease we had cat pee everywhere - no worries because we knew he was sick. this however - um?

does anyone know if nature's miracle is vegan by any chance? is there something vegan/cf i can get at target for the pee/poo stains/smells that might be left behind?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I use Nature's Miracle all the time, sadly. Also sadly, I never even thought to check if it was vegan.

And the following is More Than You Ever Wanted To Know about anecdotal litterbox issues:
My 16-year old kitty (whose name is Tori) has some issues with pooping -- she would poop on the bed or in other parts of the bedroom. After much observation we discovered the following - (1) she does not poop every day, (2) when she does poop, she has two or three efforts to completely empty her bowels. The first effort is usually in the litter box, but the subsequent ones can be other parts of the room, since she's reluctant to go back into the litterbox after the first effort, (3) if we scoop immediately after the first effort, she will successfully go back into the box and finish off; ditto for the second effort, (4) she does not have megacolon, but our vet suggested adding fiber to her diet, so I give her a dose of Miralax powder every three days or so, (5) I calendar her poops, so I know when to start getting ready, (6) I have gotten really, really good at reading her body language, so we haven't had too many accidents and I haven't had to do too much laundry in the last year or so, (7) patience is key, (8) this pooping issue was not stress-related, (9) cats are highly individual.

For smells, we set up a window fan and turn it to exhaust mode and let it run for 20 minutes and clean up as needed with Nature's Miracle.

You have all my sympathy! I hope you can get to the bottom of things soon!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

mortis has stopped with the bed but started pooping in the shower. i discovered he has worms. got him dewormer today and i hope this helps him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

Poor Mortis! I hope his worms clear up quickly!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My cat went though a pooing and weeing on ALL OF the beds phase (he once did a poo with me literally lying in bed). In the end, I shut him out of any bed-laden rooms for a month or two and was very strict about it. Now he doesn't do it. I think he sort of developed a habit of pooing and weeing on beds, and making sure he couldn't made him forget that was ever even an option.