| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T Touch (Tellington) for reactive dogs and scaredy cats
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Anyone in the PPK have any experience with using T Touch? Has it helped at all?

Post subject: Re: T Touch (Tellington) for reactive dogs and scaredy cats
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Not T Touch specificity, but daily kitty massages on my lap made Mr Angus into a melty, drooly thing after Jed died.

After Miss Poppy's surgery she was very bad with pain and a reaction to morphine one night, she was only able to fall asleep if I kept stroking her back. Whenever I would stop to try to get some sleep she would waken up within a couple of minutes and whimper until I started again. Touch has certainly been a huge source of comfort for the hairy we'uns in this house.

When introducing Mr A to Poppy puppy I would carry him across the floor too/from the bookcase when he wanted to move about, making sure he had high places to perch safely and observe her from. Making him feel more secure seemed to be the more influential part of things. When he was less twitchy, she was less reactive.

Good luck with them both <3 xx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

many many many millenia ago when we had a service dog, i was really into the service dog training community in New England and did a therapy dog training course. one of the methodologies that we studied and implemented was T-touch. There are some awesome videos out there, even on the interwebz, and i think even just for working with dogs the different types of touches are really helpful. I don't think I would pay to take a seminar with her, because the touches are really easy to learn as long as you don't expect them to change the universe or make you doctor doolittle (and i don't support her participation in the horsey and breeding industries). but i think together with a thundershirt, ttouch is really awesome for dogs. (i don't know anything about cats)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Fezza - Actually, the new doggy and the kitkat are doing remarkably well with each other at home - it's only been three days, and already they're both snoozing on my bed. It's more that Tiily Dog is ridiculously reactive to other dogs when we're out on a walk, and Cariad Cat is scared of her own shadow, so doesn't like to get out and explore the garden much.

There's a local person who is offering a T Touch workshop, and I was thinking it might be good for both of them - but I don't want to shell out if others haven't found the approach useful.

Torque - thank you so much, I'll check out YouTube first.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:15 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Aaahh, I see! Just on a side note, have you thought about tying a yellow ribbon to her leash? Not sure about the kitty problem, I know some outdoor cats don't really bother going out much. Perhaps some of the feliway products might help Cariad calm down a bit. Not sure if a skittish cat can ever be calmed down, Mr Angus was a twitcher and a mover all his days.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]