| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Are your dogs allowed on the furniture?
Yes! 90%  90%  [ 35 ]
No! 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject: Are your dogs allowed on the furniture?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been struggling with this since I got Ichabod... I was raised with dogs not being allowed up on any furniture. Initially, when I got her, I was going to teach her that she has her bed and she has her blankets, but that the furniture isn't her place.

Then I realized, all she wants to do is be near me; she sleeps with her head on my feet. And so she sleeps in bed with me, but is still "not allowed" on the sofas. If she isn't sleeping with me/we aren't home and she is, I know she hops up and lays on the sofas. I just don't know why I should bother enforcing it. I don't care if she's on the furniture as long as she's not being rowdy. But there's a part of me that wants to enforce it out of habit.

Ichabod is going to remain between 45-50 pounds; if she was closer to 60-80, it'd probably be a different story.

What are your rules?

Post subject: Re: Are your dogs allowed on the furniture?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:49 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I was also raised not have dogs on the furniture, but my parents have always had large dogs. My dogs are both small (below 20 lbs) and aren't terrible shedders, and I've always let them on the furniture.

For my couch, I have a couple of cheap fleece blankets I got from Ikea that generally keeps the couch clean and relatively hair-free. When I have company I can just take the fleece off, do a quick vacuum, and the couch is presentable. I do have to reinforce strong rules about my bed; it's for sleeping and cuddling only, no toys and especially no food or treats (which often are not vegan).

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:00 pm 
WRETCHED

I also cover my furniture with blankets which I take off and wash whenever someone visits. (I also generally wash them about once a week but only remove them when someone is visiting)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My dog (70 lbs) is allowed on the sofa (I also keep it covered with a blanket that comes off for guests) but not on the bed. I was raised with dogs allowed everywhere, but I find big dogs always wind up hogging the whole bed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:49 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Similar. I never had pets growing up. The day I brought Smudge home I felt like I should try to stick with No Dogs On The Furniture (Mr. Spork was a little worried our house would smell). I sat on the floor using the couch as a back rest, with her in her dog bed beside me.

That got old by day 2. I want to pet and cuddle my dog, that's why I got one! And she wants to be with us. AND I want to sit on my couch! So we have blankets (two which we rotate and wash) so the couch won't get smelly, I get cuddles, and I get to sit on my comfy couch.

She sleeps in a crate at night. She is allowed on our bed, though, just not to sleep the whole night usually. She was jumping on our bed A LOT (like every time she came in our bedroom) so we recently instituted the Only If You Are Invited rule. If we call her, she can come on the bed. Usually only if we go to bed early (8-9pm) to read or watch a movie, for cuddles. Every once in a blue moon she sleeps on our bed. Usually if we were out for an especially long time that day and I feel guilty, or if I'm feeling blue and want extra cuddles.

So, she's allowed on some furniture, with conditions.

If no one is paying attention and the chairs aren't pushed all the way in, she WILL use the chair to get up on the dining room table. That is DEFINITELY not allowed!!! Ha.

(She is small, 16lbs)

Couch dog: (90% of my photos of her are Smudge On The Couch!)
Image Image

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

Last edited by Mack the Spork on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

BLANKETS. You guys are geniuses. I have cheap fleeces from Target that I use as cat bedding in her favorite chair.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:08 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Growing up, I had a small dog and she was allowed on furniture all the time. She basically had the run of the house. When my family got our pit pup, we knew he'd be much bigger and it would be annoying to have him jump up on us all the time and take up half the couch. Plus we had a baby at the time (who would often be set down on the couch for naps) so we made furniture off-limits to him.

For the first year or so, it was a very strict no-furniture-at-all policy. As he got older (and while I was still living there), I loosened the rules a bit so he could sleep in the bed with me instead of his crate. But he had to wait for me to invite him up. If he ever jumped up on his own, I told him no and he had to sleep in the crate that night. It works out for us because we have a big family so there's not much room for a big dog on the couch. Plus, we've already got enough with the three kids crawling all over the furniture.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

when julie (she was about 55lbs) was alive she was free to be with us on the couch, love seat, bed, etc.... i figured, why not? when i was growing up our dog was not allowed in certain rooms, only allowed inside at certain times, and never allowed on furniture of any kind. so when dan and i adopted julie we decided she was free to share any space with us.

Last edited by happyfaced on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Bonnie is allowed on the furniture despite being fairly large (62 pounds). We also have blankets on the couch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My dogs are allowed anywhere they want to go, they're family. The cats on the other hand, normally stay in another part of the house. Too much cat peeing on my furniture or scratching the furniture and are generally more of a destruction than dog hair.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:10 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Dogs are allowed on the furniture, I guess if they were rowdy i'd feel different about it. We keep the living/dining room gated off unless we're in there, because that's where the nice carpet is and it's one room we have to clean less due to lack of hair and cats barfing.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:20 pm 

Our dogs are allowed on the furniture and they can get quite rowdy. I don't care. I try to remember not to wear black and sit down anywhere. Sorry everyone that ever comes over! Basically I work to support my dogs' lifestyle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:26 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Ugh I want to go to your house so bad.

By rowdy I meant, kicking me while I try to watch tv. Harley and Fawkes resent sporking so i'd actually like them to be on the furniture more.

If Brian wears a black t-shirt to bed on the weekends and doesn't change soon after getting up I laugh at him because his entire back is covered in Harley fur. She likes to climb in the bed when she thinks we can't hear her, lay down on Brian's side, and kick the covers all over.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh god lazysmurf, I want to find that in my bed. They're so cute!

Our dogs have always been allowed on furniture. My dog growing up was 12 pounds, so she likes to perch on top of the couch like a cat. Our current dog is about 65lbs. She loves to cuddle on the couch, and often sleeps on them at night. She also sometimes sleeps in my parents bed (generally when there is bad weather and she gets scared). The cat doesn't allow her in my room (not a joke, the cat will chase her out), but before the cat enforced that, Lola was allowed on my bed, too.

We don't cover our couches, but we vacuum them often and always right before company comes over. That's more my moms thing though. I don't mind dog and cat hair. Im covered in it at all times anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Orion is allowed on the couch. I'm pretty sure he believe we got the couch for him - he sleeps there most nights and makes himself a nest with all the blankets and pillows. If I have guests i have to squidgy everything(works better than brushes or the vacuum!) "On" and "off" were among the first commands I trained, and he does have to get off if he's being annoying, like kicking or whatever.

Apparently my spouse wanted to have a dog free couch, but I don't remember him ever telling me! Too late!

He (the dog) is not allowed in the bedroom though. There's enough dog hair on our sheets just from laundry exposure, and I tend to have breathing problems at night so that rule has been strictly enforced. Orion knows exactly where the limit is and if the door is open, he will stand with his toes on the line, lean over and whine at us to get up.

ETA: I actually got carpets specifically so Orion could jump on the couch without slipping - he isn't the most nimble and seeing him struggle on the slippery floor was rather pathetic.

Last edited by aelle on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:15 am 
Dead by dawn

I grew up with doxies, and they were always allowed on the furniture (couch snuggles forever!) The dog I had from ~5-20 slept in his own bed at night, but the dogs I have had as an adult have slept on (OK, in) my bed. I thought I was going to have to break Amos of the habit when biker boy moved in, but the newcomer adapted to the house rules. I should have started with the blanket thing before Amos and his predecessor ruined the loveseat by puking on it repeatedly... when we get new couches, they will definitely be covered from the get-go!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The only situations for which we enforce a no-animal policy are when safety is a concern. Otherwise, it's have at 'er.

(Our couch does look like shiitake though.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

LazySmurf wrote:
Basically I work to support my dogs' lifestyle.

Ha. That's how I feel about the Nola dog. In fact, I decided to freelance so I could work from home and stay in with my pup. As I type, I'm sitting on the sofa and she's curled up at my feet (which are also on the sofa), snuggled up in lots of blankets. So, yes, she is allowed on the furniture! I never really think about hairs (she does have a short coat, but they still get everywhere) but that might be because she's predominantly black and we predominantly wear black. I do have blankets on the seats of the sofa, but there are still tons of marks on it. I honestly don't really care all that much about things like that... The only place where she isn't allowed is on the bed, but that's just to avoid confusion. She used to sleep in my bed before my boyfriend and I moved in together, but she's a big dog and there is no way we could all fit in bed together, so now she has her own cushty bed right next to ours and she seems happy with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 am 
Inflexitarian

Pedro and Bebe are allowed everywhere apart from the guest room and they sleep in the bed with me. I wouldn't be able to sleep if they were downstairs in their day bed. They also sit with me on the sofa, because I like cuddles and if guests come over I just use one of those sticky lint rollers to get the fur off.
For me personally, I don't care if it smells of dog, I like their smell, and I don't care if I have dog fur on me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

When I had the whippet, we had the same problem- i could do what I wanted but no matter what I did, she would sneak onto the couch in the middle of the night and then sneak into someone's bed. But she was small, careful with her feet, and didn't smell.

Now I have a 75 lb dog with shepherd fur who smells no matter how often he is bathed. He is not allowed on the furniture, no way no how. The exception is the beanbag chair, which has become his dog nest, and he divides his time between that and the nice cool floor. He sleeps outside in a kennel at night except in winter (actually, he spends most of the night running around in the yard vicariously participating in the street dog life, they come to visit at the gate. then he spends all day napping).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:52 am 
WELFARIST!

I have a rotating supply of dog blankets for my couches, recliner and even the ottoman. I wash the blankets weekly (if not more often) but basically the surfaces are always covered.

My couch, love seat and ottoman are from IKEA with totally washable covers, too. This was a strategic move, largely because I was still boarding dogs at home at the time. The main rule us the dogs are allowed on the couch as long as they don't get possessive in any way. They also have to make space for the humans to sit - Mona (the greyhound) has particular trouble with that rule. Sight hounds are notoriously bad about needing to have bedding all the time.

The chihuahuas sleep in bed with us. Mona sleeps on her dog bed on the floor but usually hops up with us around 6. This is fine as long as she listens when we tell her to get in her own bed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My dog is allowed on the couches, but not on our bed because he will snuggle up among the pillows and leave his fur on them, which makes my husband sneeze. We try to remember to keep the bedroom door closed but he will still sneak in there if he can.

It has posed a problem since our couches are some kind of fake suede material and he has favorite spots that he licks. Over time those spots have been worn away so we had to put patches on, and then he would find new places to lick and our couches got to be really gross looking. We've tried getting him dog beds to lay on, but he just chews them up and pulls out the stuffing. So now we just cover the couches with tapestries and he can lay wherever. Basically we won't have nice couches until we decide not to have pets, so probably never, and I'm OK with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 am 
WELFARIST!

LazySmurf wrote:
Basically I work to support my dogs' lifestyle.

Looks like they're worth it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:45 am 

seitanicverses wrote:
Looks like they're worth it!

They most certainly are :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Our old dog, Snapper, REFUSED to get on the furniture. I never once got to snuggle with him while watching TV, etc. He never tried to sleep on the bed or anything. Even when we tried to get him to, he'd just jump up for a sec and get back off. When we got our current dog, Banjo, she made herself right at home on the couch and we were so charmed that we abandoned any intentions of an only-when-invited rule. She usually sleeps in our bed too, even under the covers. With her head on the pillow! She's so forking cute I can't stand it. Especially when she snuggles with my husband. She's 50 pounds so takes up a significant amount of bed space, but it's worth it.