| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:11 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

What are some pet peeves when it comes to companion animals? It can be your pets, other people's pets, things pet owners do, anything with rescues or pounds, products, absolutely anything that has to do with companion animals.

I hate when people let their dogs run or do not think it is that big of a deal if their dogs gets out of their yard. I love dogs, but if I see a large dog wondering, I do get nervous because I do not know if it is friendly. Also, the dog can make a mess in other people's yards, get hit by a car, get lost, or get into garbage, chase cats.

My cat likes to cry for attention, at 3 am >.< I love you sweetie but I need to sleep.

My other cat, after having the house in pristine shape for company, always decides that 5 minutes before everyone is to arrive, to have a hair ball right in the middle of the floor.

A while ago I was on a cat forum, and I never expected to find elitist cat owners.

I work at two shelters, one is a kill and one is a no kill. The kill is the state run shelter that is the very last place animals can go before getting euthanized. It gets very little funding from the state and donations are a big part.

Some people come in and complain that we have to have more than one dog to a cage and then complain that we are a kill shelter. If we want to keep euth numbers down, more than one dog has to be in a cage. And dog aggressive dogs get their own cage. We don't have the funding to open a larger shelter, and rescues are almost always full. There are also an overwhelming number of pit bulls and they rarely get adopted.

The shelter has reduced their adoption fees to $10 for cats and $20 for dogs in order to get more animals adopted. This makes me nervous. I worry that people could see the cheap price and and use the animals as bait dogs and cats. (There is dog fighting where I live) They also want to get rid of landlord checks which I think is a terrible idea.

I've joined a few cross posting groups on facebook, and every once in a while we'll have someone raging in the comments calling the people who run the page murderers and accusing them of hating animals. The cross posting sites are not the shelter sites and they simply cross post animals from around the country who are in desperate need of rescue.

A red flag pops up when I see someone post on a forum where someone says that they have a large number of animals. Someone had 24 cats, another person had 14 cats and 7 dogs. I know that some people can take care of a large number of animals but I can't help but wonder if it is a hoarding situation.

Post subject: Re: Companion Animal Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I wish my cat's medications didn't cost me $358 a month, mostly. Does that count?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

People who have parrots in their lives and then whine about them being moody and nippy are ridiculous. It's all part of the parrot package you signed up for!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:01 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I really hate dog owners who don't understand or care to understand how dogs work and think. One of my biggest peeves is when people let their small dogs run around unleashed and aggressive towards other dogs or people- they think because their dog is small the behavior isn't as problematic as it would be in a bigger dog. I say this as the guardian of small dogs myself!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:06 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

When my dog takes up my space on the bed and then growls when I try to move her.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:17 am 
Married to the wolfman

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I really hate dog owners who don't understand or care to understand how dogs work and think.

Yeah, my primary peeve stems from this as well-- people who drag their dogs to places where the dogs are uncomfortable/unable to stay calm and okay. It's not a peeve with the dogs per se, but with the poor judgment on the part of the owners. Sometimes it just looks like the dog is FREAKING OUT because it's in the middle of a super crowded/busy/noisy/whatever place and the person is just ignoring the dog or seems totally unconcerned by the dog's level of distress.

Also extendo leashes on multiuse trails freak me out.

And people who bring dogs on trails specifically marked no dogs. (And cyclists who ride bikes on trails specifically signed no bikes.)

All my peeves are people related I guess.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:49 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my pet peeve is similar (and human related i guess) is people who think that if their dog is *supposedly* friendly that they can let it run off leash wild and crazy in places where there are leash laws.

i have one super duper crazy dog reactive dog and another dog that isnt reactive but is fearful and doesnt like dogs in his face.

i hate when people are like "oh he's friendly" yeah great mine isnt.

i was on a walking trail once which is very much leash required and i had a baby strapped to the front of me and this giant dog came barreling up at us from behind and i was trying to control my dog and i couldnt see what was happening because i have a tall baby strapped to me. im trying to get treats out of my treat sack to distract my dog. thankfully i didnt have the super reactive dog but i wouldnt have brought him on that walking trail anyways

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lavawitch wrote:
It's all part of the parrot package you and your descendants signed up for!

Yup, yup and yup.

I have no peeves about my particular pets (except that the bird is a crasshole. but i knew that, see above). Whomever designed the smell of german shepherd fur, i have some choice comments for him or her, but other than that, nope.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:02 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It's firework season, and people insist on bringing their dogs to fireworks. There's a reason a staggering number of dogs go missing on fireworks weekends: the fireworks! They're scary! Leave the dog at home!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:11 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm mad at whoever in my neighborhood decided to put on a 3 hour fireworks display last night right around the time I needed to go to bed. Violet didn't seem to pay attention to fireworks or thunder when she was younger, but now she hates them both. She got super nervous last night and kept jumping up on my bed and back down. I didn't get any sleep until the jerk ran out of fireworks.

Probably gonna be a loooong week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

torque wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
It's all part of the parrot package you and your descendants signed up for!

Yup, yup and yup.

I have no peeves about my particular pets (except that the bird is a crasshole. but i knew that, see above). Whomever designed the smell of german shepherd fur, i have some choice comments for him or her, but other than that, nope.

That made me guffaw.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:40 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

LisaPunk wrote:

i hate when people are like "oh he's friendly" yeah great mine isnt.

THIS. So much!!! My parents' dog is older and mellower now but was much more dog reactive when she was younger. She's also 80 lbs. of rippling muscle. This happened so often when I took her out for exercise, and people always act so put out and hurt when you call them on it. Oh, so sorry, is it inconvenient for you to not have your dog's face bitten off?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My pet peeve about my pets: I vacuum 5+ times a week. And STILL there is always litter on the floor. Sticking to my feet in the kitchen. One or two grains between my sheets. On the bathroom floor.

Someday! Someday I will walk around my house and not feel cat litter. And that day shall be glorious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Parrots get seed everywhere. They have to replant the rainforest in your living room. Wasteful little mustards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Invictus wrote:
My pet peeve about my pets: I vacuum 5+ times a week. And STILL there is always litter on the floor. Sticking to my feet in the kitchen. One or two grains between my sheets. On the bathroom floor.

Someday! Someday I will walk around my house and not feel cat litter. And that day shall be glorious.

Have you tried the Tidy Cats Breeze litter system? No litter tracking, no litter smell. I'll never go back to regular cat litter again.

http://www.tidycats.com/products/breeze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Invictus wrote:

this but sub in black dog fur and hay (for the guinea pigs)

i dont vacuum 5x a week because im lazy but when i do vacuum holy black dog fur. just boatloads of it.

and the hay just travels everywhere around the house even though the pigs are in one room

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

lavawitch wrote:
Parrots get seed everywhere. They have to replant the rainforest in your living room. Wasteful little mustards.

one of my guinea pigs takes pellets out of their pellet hopper and seems to like either just crack it in half and drop the whole thing and do that over and over and over or take the tiniest chunk off to eat and drop the rest of it. so there is always piles and piles of pellets NEXT to the pellet hopper in the cage which they then proceed to pee and poop all over. and piggie pellets are NOT cheap.

not quite the same as getting it all over your house though!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ScooterDiva wrote:
Invictus wrote:

Have you tried the Tidy Cats Breeze litter system? No litter tracking, no litter smell. I'll never go back to regular cat litter again.

http://www.tidycats.com/products/breeze

Interesting! I will have to see if there is a local place to get that

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

LisaPunk wrote:
and the hay just travels everywhere around the house even though the pigs are in one room

This is true. Our final guinea pig passed away months ago now and I am still finding pieces of hay around in random places. (Which makes me cry like every time.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I love my Boo bear, and I know it's a psychological thing or whatever, and I'm trying to work with her in it, but every evening she basically tries to nurse on my collar bone/arm pit area. For some reason it really grosses me out. I want to comfort her, but I also want her to stop sucking on my shirts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:56 pm 
Tofu Pup

Why yes, yes I did vacuum this evening as soon as I got home. Oh, you can't tell? Story of my life.
I've almost decided to just embrace the rug-on-top-of-my-actual-rug as an eccentric new decorating tool.
I'll call it....the Alaskan Malamrug.

I pledge allegiance
to the Earth
and all the Life
which it supports
One Planet
in our care, irreplaceable
with Sustenance and Respect
for all

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LisaPunk wrote:
my pet peeve is similar (and human related i guess) is people who think that if their dog is *supposedly* friendly that they can let it run off leash wild and crazy in places where there are leash laws.

Yes. And it's not just other dogs these people aren't thinking about. What about people who are scared of dogs? My MIL completely freaks out when we see an off-leash dog in the park (not allowed). There are lots of areas where dogs are allowed to be off-leash people. Go there.

I ride my bike through the park and off-leash dogs are a huge hazard on multi-use paths! It makes me so angry that I seem to care more about the dog getting hit than their person. I certainly don't want to crash my bike trying to avoid your dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Also cat pee. It should not exist.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

My little dogs aren't crazy shedders, but my oldest (and largest) one sheds fairly profusely. I can't speak highly enough of the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser! I've had mine for about 3 years now and aside from replacing the filter once every couple of months, it's still working great and picks up the dog hair like what. It's got a rubbery pink tip and it seriously is like an eraser! One swoop and there's like this big thick line of clean sofa underneath the mat of dog hair.

I'm also a big fan of the Haan handheld steam cleaner for smells and stains on upholstery and carpets. Just be sure to use bottled distilled water with it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

I do have the Bissell! It works like a dream, it just doesn't last very long before dear dogter has left her mark again.

I've had to move my run to a neighborhood instead of the airstrip I used to run around because of a pack of aggressive stray dogs....and lo and behold, now I've got companion dogs off their leashes chasing me now. I'm not afraid of dogs, but lots of other people run and walk their pets in this area.

Which reminds me of another peeve.....
USE YOUR DAMN DOGGY BAGS WHEN YOUR DOG GOES ON MY LAWN. My kids play there! Pick up your shiitake!!!

I pledge allegiance
to the Earth
and all the Life
which it supports
One Planet
in our care, irreplaceable
with Sustenance and Respect
for all