| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Adorable Senior Pet Stories and Pix Thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:09 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah friends - you ready?! For the Senior Pet Story-Share thread?

What accommodations do you/did you make for your aging companion? Did their personalities change at all in a sweet way?

Also, Pix Please!

From the Space To Post... Thread for inspiration:

8ball wrote:
The little extra accomodations animals need as they age make my heart ache.

lavawitch wrote:
She is very active, but lately, she misses her landings when she flies, and she falls off her perch at night frequently. Her perch is a special wide one we got, but she won't let us lower it, so we piled up the bottom of her cage with pillows, like princess and the pea.

vixki wrote:
When my cat got old she couldn't quite make the jump up to the sofa (or down) so we arranged little stepping stools for her. She preferred to use our knees though - we'd kneel infront of the sofa, one knee higher than the other, and she'd just climb up to her spot <3

Post subject: Re: The Adorable Senior Pet Stories and Pix Thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:18 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ginny with her grumpy old lady face <3

She got pretty bad vision in her old age - so I started carrying a flashlight with me at night to shine on my feet/the ground so she could follow me.

I also built her a stand for her water bowl to be level with the bed so she didn't have to go up and down the little bed stairs so much (she had had those for a while as she's little, those weren't an age thing).

Oh and as you can see from the picture - I made her a comfy room in the bed of my truck to stay in while I was at work so I could hang out with her on breaks and lunch time :)

I'm sure I'll think of more later!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'll take a photo of the pillow pile tomorrow. It's pretty funny looking.

We tried lowering her perch, and when she saw it, she gave us a cockatiel "bisque, please" look and flat out refused to go in to bed until we raised it back up.

She is a really stubborn old lady. She hurt her wing a while ago and couldn't fly and was so miserable. We took her to the vet and he was worried she wouldn't regain full use of her wing again, but as usual, she proved him wrong and is now flying around again. Some days she mostly sleeps though.

I think she is 17 now. We love her so much. She is such a sweet, special bird.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

<3 sweet Ginny!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rhodie sleeps a lot these days. He's tired from his seizures and luxated patellas which I hope we will be able to correct surgically soon, so he will be less tired! He used to jump on everything. Now he needs help getting on the couch and getting down the stairs. I also bought him an elevated food bowl because with his weak knees and seizing he was scared to bend down to eat. He was sooooo happy with his new bowls last night. He ate with more gusto than I've seen in a while because he didn't have to worry about face planting. It made me feel really good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:30 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Quita just loves goes to the farmers' market with us on Saturday mornings. We don't bring her if it is really hot out because she can't handle the heat with her heart condition, but the market is right near the water and there is typically a good breeze to keep things comfortable.

She pulls on her leash and just runs (without getting anwhere, because leash) with reckless abandon, trying to get nowhere in particular. Then people fawn over the dogs (especially when we take all 4), take pictures of them and she gets pets and attention. Sometimes people who sell dog cookies give them samples.

Then we get home and she is absolutely wiped for the rest of the day. I hate thinking about her being old - she is just the funniest little thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Here we have Mopsy, who lived to the grand old age of 20!

She had kidney problems and so needed to drink lots but she was a stubborn thing and refused to drink from anywhere cat dedicated. She'd only drink from somewhere she "wasn't supposed to".

Such as, the watering can:

To persuade her to drink, we'd have to pretend to get ourselves a glass of water, then put it down and "forget" about it. Then she'd sneakily come in and start drinking from it when she thought we weren't looking. Drink her own water? Nah. But steal the human's? Yeah!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:35 pm 
Impressive boner

George!!

He's a senior guinea pig of maybe 6 years old with some senior issues - arthritic hind knees, bony hips and "boar bum" (faecal impaction. I keep him clean, I don't mind cos he's my baby). We think he had a stroke earlier this week but he's recovered so well from it. I had tears of joy holding him yesterday, grateful to still have him around.

He's mellowed as he's aged. Much happier to be cuddled and fussed. He's a special boy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

our dog Willy aged about 10 years in 2 months. he has always had puppy energy his whole life and he still does now for stuff he wants to do but he no longer follows me around all damn day driving me crazy. most days he spends his day moving from one napping spot to another, occasionally begging for food. he is some sort of lab mutt and we estimate him to be between 10 & 12.

we took our 3 year old daughter camping for the first time ever this weekend in VT. she is very fearful of everything in life and i have to spend most of my time devoted to her.

our other dog Marty is a grumpy old man who hates camping so we sent him to my parents house for the weekend but it was a big debate between me and my husband whether or not to bring Willy. Willy LOVES camping but he is also the world's most reactive dog. he cant be within sight lines of another dog or hear them or he goes batshit crazy bonkers. he also can get tweaky around certain people and kids and bikes, etc etc etc.

so i thought it was too much to handle the world's most reactive dog and a fearful toddler for the weekend. the campground we go to has lean to's so we dont even have a place to shut the dog in as far as sight for any length of time. tons of people bring their dogs and we had two sets of friends going too with dogs and kids.

so anyways because he is getting so old and his back hips are getting bad and we werent sure if he could handle camping next year we decided to bring him.

he did SO GOOD. he is such a sweet old man. his hearing and eyes arent what they used to be so he wasnt freaking out on every noise. our friends were in the site next to us and i dont know if they did this on purpose or not but they backed their pickup truck far into their site and basically blocked the sight lines between Willy and their dogs. the other side of our site is nothing but some bushes then a little further up some cabins where you cant have dogs (we always pick this specific site on purpose)
he went "swimming" (aka waking around) in the river there. we took him for 2 hikes and he was done. SO TIRED. he was so much more manageable even though its because he's so old now.
the second short hike we went on we had to cut short because he was really stiff which was sad but he had a blast. we always bring a crate for him to have "time out " in when he gets worked up and we throw something like a tarp or a sleeping bag over the front to block the view.

ill try to post a pic of him after i get it off my phone.
he's really mad at me now because i just hosed him down outside since he was lying in dirt all weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:41 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

My mini doxie Biscuit is 10 years old but as I was telling the folks at the pet food store yesterday, she did not get the memo. She only little, so 10 could be more 'middle-aged' for her than senior, but she shows no intention of slowing down any time soon. Doxies, especially older ones, are at such a high risk for spinal injuries, so I bought her a set of stairs for the bed, and I have a sofa bed that pulls out from below, so I leave the 'bed' about 1/3 pulled out for her and Pepper to use that as a 'step' to get up on the couch. She'll use the step to get up on the couch but has used the bed stairs all of 3 or 4 times. The other day she was sitting on my lap on the sofa, so at least 2 feet up off the ground, and jumped to the floor when I threw a ball for Pepper (she's usually happy to sit and watch Pepper go crazy, so it was unexpected). I have to admit it was funny to see her 'superdog' act but at the same time I need her to slow down and act her age/breed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Old Man Willard asleep in the dirt while camping in VT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:57 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Gershwin is 13+ now and is showing signs of his age. :( We've started noticing he has trouble jumping up on the bed, so we're going to get him some stairs to help with that. He also wanders around yelling, like he gets lost in his own house :( He is the most grumpy, curmudgeonly guy ever -- but he has these fleeting moments of sweetness that catch you off guard. Like he'll snuggle up against you in the night and purr so hard, he'll lay peacefully in a sunbeam and take a long nap, he'll run towards the door when you get home from work with his tail shaking from excitement to see you.

Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

our old family dog (Jasmine) came to live with my spouse and i when my parents decided they could no longer take care of her. which we were delighted about, as we had tried to convince them for years to let her come live with us. she was 17 at the time and had some trouble with stairs (you know, being a 17 year old lab 'n all!). so my spouse knocked down a big portion of the railing on the back porch and built a bridge between the back porch and the back yard so that we could exit that way for our walks in the field behind our home or out into the neighborhood. we also had rugs EVERYWHERE on the hardwood floors so she could easily walk on them and we carried her upstairs to bed with us every night. we miss Jasmine terribly - she was the best (and i was so grateful we got to care for her for the time we did!) and i bet her and out newly-ish adopted dog Sig would have gotten along awesomely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My dog Bogey will be with us one year tomorrow. I think I will make him biscuits and cupcakes! I don't care how hot it is...he deserves a party. No idea how old he is, but the vet says at least 10. He has slowed down in the one year we had him, and we just love him so much.

His quirks? Not sure if he always had them or if they are the product of old age and bad teeth, but he won't eat food (can't be dog food) from his bowl. My little boy has to be hand fed while he's laying down on my husband's lap, as if he was a Roman emperor or something. He loves mashed potatoes, which makes it easy for giving him his pain and kidney meds. Oh, and when we come back from walking, he always sits at the bottom of the outside stairs, with his back towards me. He then waits till I kiss him on top of the head and tell him that I love him before he turns around and goes up the stairs. I would carry him up the stairs, because I know it's hard on his arthritic back and back paws, but it hurts him to be picked up. Sometimes he licks my nose when I kiss him on the head. He has his moments of youthful vigor, mostly when he sees my aunt and my parents. Then he will run a whole block dragging me behind him to just to go up to them...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Bogey, trying to lick my husband's face...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:08 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Awwwww happy adoptaversary Bogey!! My heart totally melted at how you have to kiss him before going upstairs. Squee!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Bogey is so cute