| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dog in car on hot day
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My dog companion and I just walked past a car (PDX: on Belmont and 15th) with a little dog friend in the passenger seat, no person in sight, all the windows up. What should I do? I tried knocking on the door of the house the car was in front of, but no one answered. Who do I call? What do I do? I don't want the dog to die of overheating.

What kind of horrible person does this?

Post subject: Re: dog in car on hot day
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Call the cops to start, they'll direct you as to what to do legally. Take pictures and keep an eye on things and knock on doors to find the person or someone who knows the person.

Are you still out there? What's happening/happened?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Yeah, call the cops and call animal control. See if the doors are unlocked. Maybe you'll set off the car alarm, and the person will come out because they're more concerned about their inanimate property than an animal's life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Yeah, call the cops and call animal control. See if the doors are unlocked. Maybe you'll set off the car alarm, and the person will come out because they're more concerned about their inanimate property than an animal's life.

Yes and yes and yes. Ugh I'm so worried now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm 

Thank you for your speedy responses. I didn't have my phone on my walk, so after knocking on the house the car was parked outside of (and I also tried the doors on the car, with no success) I came home, wrote this, wrote down some phone numbers, and then drove back to where to car had been parked. About ten minutes had elapsed. The car was gone. I'm super bummed and worried (I should carry my phone on walks...), and hope the little dog is okay.

I can't believe people think it's okay to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can say that if the person had been blasting the air conditioning and then only gone indoors briefly, having the windows closed might have actually kept the inside cooler for that very small amount of time. But if you stuck around for more than a moment without the owner returning, that's very scary.

Hopefully a momentary lapse by an otherwise responsible person and everything is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Ugh. Thanks for caring and attempting to do something.

This happened to me the other weekend in a New Seasons parking lot. No shade, the sun was beating down on the car, and the dog was panting pretty bad. It makes me so angry to think about. Also ridiculous because New Seasons has an outdoor dog area that is shaded and has water available.

I wish stores would post notices in their parking lots during the summer asking people to not leave their pets in cars.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Its the worst. I called the police because I saw a dog in distress last summer, locked in a car, when it was in the 90s outside. And the police told me there was nothing I could do and that if I broke the window they'd arrest me.

So I waited to see what would happen, and a small crowd gathered and then the woman came and drove off with the dog with no repercussions.

Sad story under the spoiler
Spoiler: show
A friend of mine accidentally killed her two small dogs when she left them in the car, with the windows cracked, and went to a quick meeting. She adored her dogs and was devastated by their deaths,but hadn't realized how fast the temperatures rise. So it doesn't just happen to jerks.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I'm going to nip that inflammatory statement in the bud before someone else flips out. If someone left their dogs in the car long enough that they died during their 'quick' meeting, they are a jerk. I don't care who does it, if you leave your dog in a car on any day that's above 70 degrees and you're not pumping gas right next to them, you're a jerk. Take the forking dogs home first.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:12 pm 
Semen Strong

It wasn't intended to be inflammatory. Basically, never leave your dog alone in the car. Even under 70F the temps in a car mounts very fast, especially if you have a distressed dog getting agitated in it.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yeah, I'm just gonna say it does just happen to jerks. On what planet is that remotely okay? Have people who do this never gotten into their hot car after it's sat for a while and thought how forking hot it is?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:12 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

For the future, it helps to look up and know your local laws concerning animals in cars -- in many cities it's illegal and they encourage you to call the police if you see it and an owner cannot be located quickly. Owners can be cited (for instance, in Austin it's illegal to leave a pet alone in a parked car and the police can fine the owner up to $500), or convicted of animal cruelty in case of injury or death. Knowing the law helps give you confidence to know what to do!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 pm 
Grandfathered In

paprikapapaya wrote:
Yeah, I'm just gonna say it does just happen to jerks. On what planet is that remotely okay? Have people who do this never gotten into their hot car after it's sat for a while and thought how forking hot it is?

Speaking of planets, on what planet have people not heard you shouldn't leave your dog in a car on a hot or sunny day?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm 

FootFace wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Speaking of planets, on what planet have people not heard you shouldn't leave your dog in a car on a hot or sunny day?

I agree with these. I don't understand the logic of "my friend left dogs in a hot car therefore people who aren't jerks do this horrible thing." That's like saying that because your friend abuses his partner, that people who aren't jerks are abusive too. No, people who abuse people, and animals, are jerks.

Mandycoot--thank you for that tip on looking up local laws. I'm going to do that, and carry my phone on walks from now on. Another friend told me it's good to always carry a phone when walking your dog friend, since his dog friend was attacked by another dog while on a walk, and it was good to have the phone handy to make calls and record information.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you can definitely call the police.
if the windows were up could you tell if the AC was on?

ive known people to do that and in fact when i was at a doggie event with my dog all day once i had to leave him in my AC'ed car. i blasted it as high as it would go and put some cardboard up where the sun was pointing. my car is a Prius so it's pretty quiet and not obvious when it's running.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
you can definitely call the police.
if the windows were up could you tell if the AC was on?

ive known people to do that and in fact when i was at a doggie event with my dog all day once i had to leave him in my AC'ed car. i blasted it as high as it would go and put some cardboard up where the sun was pointing. my car is a Prius so it's pretty quiet and not obvious when it's running.

My husband got yelled at for leaving our dogs in the car while it was running and AC blasting. Which is extra funny because it was my '81 LeMans which is crazy loud.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think people just see dog in hot car and freak out. which i guess is a good thing. at least he could say "hey the AC is on!" :-)