| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chronic colitis in dog?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:48 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

One of the dogs has chronic colitis and has been on a very restricted diet for months (under vet supervision). The only things she can eat atm are rice/white potatoes, carrots and eggs. I'd like to get more into her diet and was wondering if anyone has dealt with this, or knows any foods that could be bland, but could give her some extra vitamins and minerals?

Post subject: Re: Chronic colitis in dog?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:19 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I knew one dog with severe colitis who could only eat white rice and lamb. Absolutely anything else sent him over the edge.

Another dog I knew could only eat cottage cheese and cantaloupe at breakfast, I don't remember what her dinner was.

My brother in law has severe gastrointestinal diseases (he uses colostomy bags as he has no colon, it is really intense) and can eat a very limited number of fruit and veg. I think you would have luck with some varieties of vegetable but you'd have to purée them for him to get nutrients from them. My BIL can handle green peas and green beans, I wonder if cooked and puréed peas and green beans would work for your pooch.

Not to equate my BIL to a dog but he has such severe reactions to foods that I figure some info can be gleaned from that. If he eats pineapple he severely obstructs so maybe avoid that one ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:43 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

is there some kind of vitamin supplement you can add to that mixture? or maybe some kind of yogurt fortified with extra vitamins/minerals?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:59 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Thanks Moon, I'm wary of things like green beans, because they can be a problem for some dogs. I have IBS and himself has IBD, so I can relate to your BIL, we both have different triggers from each other. I'm super cautious at this stage, because every flare up sets her back another step from recovery. I might mash some blueberries in once a day, see how she copes with them.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
is there some kind of vitamin supplement you can add to that mixture? or maybe some kind of yogurt fortified with extra vitamins/minerals?

I have a vitamin paste, I haven't been able to try it because she is struggling with a flare up atm and it might make things worse for her. The vet has said that some vitamin tablets etc may actually irritate her, she's so sensitive atm.

Even the probiotic paste is an irritant for her, it is kaolin paste based but the oil in it set her off. I'm sprinkling human probiotic tablets over her food atm.