| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do you ever wonder what their life was like before?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I wonder this about Vee Bub all the time, especially since he has so many issues and is nuerotic/anxious. I wonder if he was tied outside and not socialized and that's why he is so coo coo, then I wonder if he is just naturally coo coo, so that brought him to the shelter? I also know he was bumped around a bit by the shelter, but they weren't honest with me about that. They told me he was "almost adopted" several times before we took him home, but I now realize that means they let people bring him home for a "trial" situation and those folks couldn't deal with him. Anyway, he is my bub--a funny guy full of all sorts of worries and lots of lovies for his mama and pappy.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:50 am 
Nailed to the V

My little puppy Totes is so great that I always imagine how tough it was for the family who gave him up. They were either heartless jerks or going through a really rough time. I also wonder what he was like as a puppy. He must've been all ears and belly. Aww...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yes, absolutely. We got pretty much zero info from the shelter about Orion. He looks like a purebred Sheltie, but as far as we know there are no Sheltie breeders in Korea - so he must have been imported and cost his first owner a lot of money! He is so sweet, so gentle, so beautiful and took to training so easily that I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to give him up.

Orion was completely unfamiliar with anything having to do with the outside - he didn't know what trees, grass, birds, rabbits or bodies of water were, he had some coordination problems when it came to climbing stairs or jumping on and off boulders, and we're still trying to teach him not to stand in front of a moving car. My guess is that he was strictly an apartment dog, and that his buyer didn't understand that a small dog in the West is not the same thing as a small dog in Korea (teacup yorkie is the standard size here). He may have just grown too big :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:01 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Ack, you're all making me want to go out and adopt a dog! We got our dog and one of our cats as babies, and the other one hubby's cousin adopted as a kitten and then gave up when he wanted to go abroad for a semester so we took her, so no mystery history for our animals.

Our neighbor's dog has some sort of crazy background though. He had several homes before them (they adopted him two years ago when at best guess he was about 6 years old) and is pretty neurotic. They think he was trained as a dog that works with autistic children, but when they adopted him he was living in an apartment with people that couldn't afford to feed him proper dog food and were feeding him McDonalds (one of them worked there). He's got a pee problem - he drips when he's not on hormonal drugs - and can't handle a lot of changes in his schedule, and on occassion will snarf food from the table (god forbid you leave any McDonalds in his reach!) but he's such a nice dog that I find his having been shuffled about strange. I'd love to know more about him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

All the time! I found Tobi on the side of the road and learned from the vet that she was only a year old and had already had atleast one litter. I have no idea where her children are, or if any of them has survived. I would love to know if she was with her previous "family" while pregnant or gave birth alone. Does she have any brothers or sisters? She's so friendly that I'm convinced she had a home shortly before I found her. No one in the neighborhood claimed her or could identify her owner/whoever dropped her off. I know nothing about her past, but I do know that her present and future will be joyous and full of warmth and love.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know a little about each of my cats, all of them came to me when they were pretty young.

Warner was born in a hoarders house. He was about six month old when we got him. He was super wary of people and is still super neurotic. He hates it when door are closed and he is pretty scared of people besides Nate and I.

Sputnik was born outside, someone found her and her family right away and contacted my friend David who fosters cats and helps out with a TNR program. It was the middle of winter when she was born, so they are pretty lucky that they were moved indoors pretty quickly.

Emma lived with a family before us that had kids. They kept her for a few months and then decided they didn't have enough time for her. I am SO happy we have her because she is an amazing cat, she has been so good to me during my pregnancy. She really likes people and is very playful.

Gizmo was feral. Someone caught her and took her in through the TNR program and she was spayed. Sadly she was too young and she nearly died during surgery. Again my friend David took her in while she healed. She was totally feral and one day we were at his house and Nate sat on his couch and Gizmo just curled up next to him so we had to take her home. After that I don't think we were able to touch her for months! Luckily she and Warner fell in love and spent all their time together snuggling. Now she curls up with us and is super affectionate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:55 am 
<3

I don't think it's silly at all.

Right now I am pet-less with the January passing of my precious Chloe. I knew her whole history. Got her from a co-worker as a kitten. Her birthday was 02/09/1993. She almost made it to 18.

Daphne I got when she was almost a year. Parents neighbors moved and left her.

We often wondered about Brandy. A little female orange tabby stray. Half wild, only one eye. We always wondered what happened to her eye; What happened to her. She also lived to almost 18.

I don't think it's strange to wonder about our pets. I used to say to Chloe "I wish we could talk" I also used to wonder how I'd ever live without her.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Lucy was left on the doorstep of the SPCA in a box with her kittens. She was rail thin and took a long time to adjust to us, I'm curious but at the same time I know it'll probably make me very upset if I knew.

Mercedes I know, she was my sister's, its just that her roommate's cats were bullies and Mercedes got really super stressed out, so I have her until the bully passes on (he's a sick elderly cat, probably doesn't have much longer, sadly)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wonder constantly! One day I opened the door to get my paper and my dog got super excited and picked it up in her mouth and started galloping around the house with it. Apparently someone taught her to bring in the newspaper! I love discovering little tricks she knows, and she was clearly loved and well trained so theres a ton of them to find out about.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rocklobster wrote:
I wonder constantly! One day I opened the door to get my paper and my dog got super excited and picked it up in her mouth and started galloping around the house with it. Apparently someone taught her to bring in the newspaper! I love discovering little tricks she knows, and she was clearly loved and well trained so theres a ton of them to find out about.

This is so adorable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:26 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

We got all our pets from people who couldn't keep them so we know a bit of their back stories:

We got our 2 Akitas, Kado and Yoki from a free to good home ad. Their former owner couldn't cope with them any more because her partner had left and she was working 12 hour shifts so they weren't getting walked. They were in a big outdoor run, they love being pampered indoor dogs again! They have a glamorous past starring in shows, they're descended from Crufts winners and it shows! Kado is a Japanese Akita and Yoki is an American Akita, a larger variation, like a super sized Akita! They both have Japanese names, Kado means small package, because as a pup he used to fit in one! Yoki means sunshine. Sometimes I sing "you are my sunshine" to her.

We got 5 of our cats from a friend of mine. I love her but she's clueless about pets. She gave away 3 cats before them, including their parents. Mary Jane and George were siblings but that didn't stop them mating when she didn't get them neutered. She had been thinking of breeding them because they're half Bengal and she could sell the kittens :( I thought I'd talked her out of that one but when we got them Mary Jane was pregnant whether by accident or design. We kept the kittens, Michael, Luke and Tyger, who are fortunately healthy, and got them all neutered. We got our hamsters from that friend too. She's now got another cat *headdesk*

We got our 16 year old cat Tiggy from a free to good home ad. Her elderly owner had to go into supported living so her friend helped her rehome Tiggy. I made friends with both of them and got a great cat. Tiggy is so friendly and loving, she purrs in her sleep and as soon as you stroke her. Her previous owner had her since a kitten and Tiggy had a good life with her. She's lived with other cats and dogs before so she settled in with our lot. She used to be allowed outside and apparently was quite the hunter, even tackling a pigeon at her age! But she was bullied by the neighbourhood cats and has a scar on her nose to prove it. Now she's indoor like all our cats and she's happy hogging our bed, cuddling with the kittens or hanging out with my fiancé while he plays on the computer.

Our 3 youngest kittens, Tufty, Tiny and Jamie came to us after being born to a feral mum in an industrial yard during the coldest winter in this country in my lifetime. It's a miracle they survived. We were supposed to be fostering them but we fell in love :) They've come around really well and fit in with our family. Recently they surprised us again, we're taking them to be neutered soon so we thought we'd double check their gender. Tufty is a boy and Tiny is a girl like we thought but the one I'd called Jamie after my fiancé was actually a girl! She's the wary one so wouldn't let us look before and she's got very long hair! I think we assumed she was a boy because she's so rough and tough! At least Jamie is a unisex name!

I rehomed our 3 rats from a Pets at Home adoption centre, they're brothers, the owner brought them in because he was moving to a place that didn't allow pets. He told the shop their names but no one could remember which was which! So we renamed them Houdini (obvious reasons), and Blacky and Spiky (after their markings.) They've clearly been well treated, Blacky likes to jump into my arms for cuddles!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:54 am 
Nailed to the V

My guinea pig Cookie I got four years ago as a baby from a pet store (which I will never get another animal from a pet store again). I do wonder about how her life was as a super young tiny pig before coming into my life.

My other guinea pig Terrie I adopted a couple months ago from a guinea pig rescue. They didn't have much info on her except that she had mites coming in to them and the previous family said she was three-four years old. She had been at the shelter for 6 weeks before I got her, and she was sick for the first six weeks I had her. But now she is healthy and is so talkative. I have never had a pig this noisy before, she seems very happy and gets along great with Cookie (thank goodness). I do wonder how well she was cared for with her previous home and how old she actually is.

My cat Chloe I adopted from the local animal shelter a couple months ago. The only info I know is that she lived with an elderly woman who was going into a nursing home and that she is four years old. Also, there was some confusion on whether her name was Cleo or Chloe. She had been at the shelter for a couple weeks and when I got her, they were calling her Chloe, yet her paperwork says Cleo. She answers to Chloe, so that's her name now even though it probably was Cleo since that's what her paperwork says. I wonder how long she had lived with the old woman and if she was an indoor/outdoor kitty. I think she was treated well though in her previous home(s) because she is so sweet, playful, lovable and purrs all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:21 am 
Saggy Butt

The one i wonder about the most was my tripod. He was a full bred white german shepard, somewhere around 6 years old when we got him and was missing his front right leg. We got him from a rescue who had gotten him from a kill shelter a year before and was the sweetest, happiest dog ever. Somewhere along the line, the story of what happened to his leg was lost. It was completely gone, no stump at all, just a scar. We had a lot of theories about his leg but we'll never know what his real story was.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

birdsonawire wrote:
rocklobster wrote:

This is so adorable!

no! she stole someones paper the other day on a walk! we turned around and were like oh crepe. she did not want to give it up either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:49 am 
Impressive boner

I always wonder what Barney's life was like before he came to live with me. He's the only one I don't know the proper origins of. I adopted him from a small local guinea pig rescue who said that he'd been brought in with lots of other guinea pigs by a vicar, all in the same cardboard box. In theory he could be the father of one of my other guinea pigs, Peanut, who came from a litter of the pregnant sows who arrived in the same box.

I don't know exactly how old he is. Judging by his claws I thought he was 1 year old when I adopted him, putting him at 4 years old now, but an age related condition could put him at more like 6 years old.
I had a root through his hair a few weeks ago, checking for possible skin problems, and found a few scars on his back which looked like they might be from the incisors of another guinea pig. It would make sense as to why he doesn't like being touched anywhere except his left cheek or chin when he's in his cage and why he seems to prefer private living quarters rather than shared.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I always wonder about Wiley. He is so handsome, gentle, happy, loving & just awesome. He loves belly rubs & reverse pets and his ice blue eyes melt my heart every time I look at him. I don't understand how anyone could just give him up/leave him...not sure what exactly happened. I do know he was brought to the SPCA where I adopted him from because he had been hit by a car. After I brought him home, I called to have his tattoo registered under my name and was told he was already registered to someone who lived 60km's away. 60 km's away!!!! That is so far, how did he get all the way here??? That is what I always think of. I am so happy I was able to bring him home. He is the best cat!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

I wonder about my kitties lives. Kismet (Kizzy) was almost 14 when I got him, and his original name was CJ and he was born in 1993. I have this suspicion that some old man who adopted him as a kitten was a Baywatch/Pamela Anderson fan and named my boy CJ originally, because I think that was around the time she first appeared on the show. I heard different stories from his background and putting them together makes the most sense to me. I feel like some elderly person adopted him, ADORED him because this cat knows how to love and was clearly ADORED because he pretty much has the sweetest, most loving and affectionate temperament ever. Anyway, I feel like his original owner maybe passed away and their children inherited him and didn't want him because the vet said a couple who he sensed "tension between" brought CJ in for euthanasia and the vet saw it as a convenience euth and so he called me and asked if I would take Kizzy and I took my kitty carrier down and collected him within the hour. And I'm so damn happy I did.

As for my younger cat, Thurston, I got him through my same vet's rescue service. I was told he was found in a dumpster as a small kitten, his whole litter, when he was only three or four weeks old (too soon to be taken from his mother!). One of the veterinary assistants took the litter home and dropper fed them. I think there were originally four kittens and only two survived. My Thurston (who I adopted when he was twelve weeks old) and another boy cat Toby who was also successfully adopted were the two survivors of that litter. Although Thurston had a very rough beginning, I'm pretty sure he doesn't carry much of it, I figure he was too young and only knows the happy life he has now with me and Kismet. However I feel quite often for Thurston's mother. I wonder about her, who would take her kitties away before they were ready, who isn't taking care of her to let this sort of thing happen., etc. That bothers me.

Anyway, my babies might have had some rough patches and bad beginnings, but these are happy endings and I'm very grateful for that! Hugs to all of us and our furbabies with a "past"! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

This thread is bring tears to my eyes. I am so thankful for the ppk and their love of animals. You guys make my day!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Re: ode to Dulli
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

stephanie wrote:
Mostly, though, whoever it was that brought my dog into the world, whoever it was that taught him how to sit, how to stay, and how to love on everyone -- I want them to know that he is my everything, and that their one-time abandonment of him has changed my life in a million fantastic ways every hour of every day for the last 14 months. I can't imagine someone not loving this dog with every cell of their being, or giving him up for any reason in the world. He's such a wonder. Their loss!

I actually know where my Rocky came from. He was my former "best friend" aka ex-roommate's dog first. She supposedly got him from a rescue. She would later claim to have rescued the second puggle she got, Presley, from a rescue even though we drove to Nebraska to buy her from a chick who raised in her in what was basically a sorority house.

At any rate, I met him when he was 2, and I loved him immediately. He even left her bed to come sleep at my feet, on the couch, when I would come to Denver to visit before I moved here.

When I moved here, I had nothing to do all day, so I started watching Rocky for her. I'd take him outside, put him on the lead (no fenced yard) or take him for walks. We spent many, many days sitting on the porch or grass, me reading and him lazin' about. We sat side by side.

For three years, two of them with her and me being roommates, I took care of Rocky and Presley. She would wake up, let them out of her room, and I would take care of them. Rocky often snuck into my room at night to sleep with me.

Cut to July. We decided to part ways (long, long, horrible story). She moved into a no-pets-allowed apartment building. I begged her to leave the dogs here with me, she said "Why should you benefit from them if I can't?" and one day I came home to find her sitting on the couch, no dogs in sight.

A week later she "discovered" Rocky on craigslist, saying the people she rehomed him to were selling him. I had no money to pay his ransom, but a friend offered to help me out and we went to get him. Since then, we've been happily together.

Strange how Presley didn't show up on cl, though. :( I miss her. So does Rocky.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Our macaw yells abusive things like "shut up you stupid bird" and he is terrified of any sticklike object, so we can infer more than we want to. He is pretty calm, happy and easy going now, but he has severe abandonment issues so we can't leave him or have a bird sitter. We've been brainstorming a way to go to my graduation, but there is just no way to have him taken care of.

What kind of forking mustard hits a baby macaw with a stick? I can't even fathom it. Abandoning him was the only kind thing they did for him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 am 
Huffs Nooch

All the time, but they'll never tell.

Gweedo has food security issues (which is very odd for a cat). He growls when you come near him while eating and gobbles everything in as few bites as possible. We've never given him reason to be fearful, so it must predate our home. He was 9 months old when we got him from the shelter. We've learned to stay away from him right after he eats because he's urp-y and it's easy to make him throw up before he's had a chance to digest a bit.

Hetty has both nystagmus and is cross-eyed. Her ears are cropped; we're assuming frostbite (it's common in cats here, sadly). She's got no tail, either, but has the body of a Manx, so the vet thinks she was born that way. She was 2 when we got her from the shelter. She's skittish and took a long time to warm to us, but she's super sweet and loves, even demands lap time now. We can only wonder.

Lavawitch, that's horrible about your macaw. People like that baffle and disturb me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am 
Chip Strong

I wonder how anyone could ever look into my doggies' beautiful eyes and give them up :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lavawitch wrote:
Our macaw yells abusive things like "shut up you stupid bird" and he is terrified of any sticklike object, so we can infer more than we want to. He is pretty calm, happy and easy going now, but he has severe abandonment issues so we can't leave him or have a bird sitter. We've been brainstorming a way to go to my graduation, but there is just no way to have him taken care of.

What kind of forking mustard hits a baby macaw with a stick? I can't even fathom it. Abandoning him was the only kind thing they did for him.

Aww, that's so sad. I think a lot of people think birds are interesting and get them without having any idea of what is needed to take care of them.

I definitely wonder about my Senegal parrot Cleo's past life. She's 12 years old. I got her from a woman who seems to be a serial animal "rescuer" who then gets tired of the animals she "rescues" and has to find new homes for them. I found out about Cleo from a coworker who does (actual) rescue work- I mentioned that I had a parakeet who passed away and she was like "oh, want another bird? I know this lady who has this parrot and it's so sad because she never spends any time with her or lets her out of her cage or anything." It wasn't an abuse situation exactly since she was pretty well taken care of except that her emotional needs were totally ignored. This lady got Cleo from a rescue place that was apparently horrible, and at first spent lots of time with her but then Cleo didn't get along with her husband (that's just how they are- they tend to have their "favorite person" and other people have to kind of work harder to have a good relationship with them) and she told me she was just "so busy" with her kids and dogs and god knows what. She did seem sad when we took Cleo from her, but I was glad to be able to give her a better life. I don't know anything about the previous owners or how she ended up in the rescue place. She's such a smart bird and can be very affectionate but also can be quite difficult and demanding. She LOVES attention and gets very upset if there are people around but she's left in her cage, and I just feel so awful thinking about whatever her past was like. I try to make up for it as much as possible. Oh, she also FREAKS OUT if you put a phone anywhere near her, or basically anything that is a similar size that is held in your hand. God knows what that's about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:23 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

We know a lot about Lucy's early life, but I still wonder. We know that she was rescued from a guy who bred pit bulls after two of his dogs attacked an old lady. Lucy was just a tiny puppy, but he had cut off most of her ears so she'd look tough (and probably so other dogs couldn't grab them when he fought her). The rescue group figured her parents were fought. After that, she lived with my coworkers as their foster and grew up very happily, which is a total saving grace. We adopted her when she was about a year old. She's so smart and takes to training very easily. She likes it when you rub her ears, so I guess they don't hurt her. She used to spook when we had anything in our hands, like a wooden spoon or anything stick-like, so I'm guessing she was hit in her first home. I wonder what happened to her parents and her siblings. I hope Lucy wasn't the only one from that house who found a good life. I just try to remember that dogs live in the moment, and love Lucy as hard as I can.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I get angry enough from what I do know to want to know any more.

My girlfriend was her foster mom - she told me that Coco came to her a year and a half, 5 pounds, UTI, upper respiratory infection, and poop caked all over her. She is almost 9 pounds now and that was little over 2 months ago.
Shes the sweetest most loving and beautiful cat ever, I can't imagine anyone doing this to her. I'm just glad she's safe and loved now