| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do you ever wonder what their life was like before?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I always wonder about my kitties and my rat...

Being in my early 20's, I have two sets of companion animals, so to speak; the ones who live with my 'rents and brother (whom we adopted when I was in high school, after our old kitty passed on...) as well as the animals who live in my apartment with me.

The two kitties at my mom's house were both found abandoned in a cemetery, not together though. Ana was maybe two at the time, and definitely had people in her life at one point since she was spayed.

The other kitty, Tony, was found cowering, with fur so matted that he had to be shaved. He also ha people, because he was neutered and very overweight. He had been in the shelter for a long time when my brother found him, and decided that he needed a second chance at life. He turned out to be mentally challenged and had a lot of health problems, but he became endearing very quickly. He is very skittish though, which leads us to believe that he may have been abused at one point. None of us can believe that anyone would ever abuse him; he is just the sweetest thing!

In my apartment, along with my roommates cat, I have a cat and a rat.

My rat, Faustus, was about four months old when I got him from a local shelter. He lived in a family with children, but they had to give him p because they were moving. It makes me so mad when people do things like that; having an animal is sort of like having a child; they are your responsibility and joy for life. Not something you keep just for when it is convenient! He is a sweetie though. He was very well socialized, and loves riding on m shoulder and being fed cheerios and broccoli. I always wonder how his old people could just toss him aside like that. And wouldn't the children miss him terribly?

My cat Dolores I wonder a lot about as well. She was two and a half when I adopted her, and is a little love. The day I met her I had just gone into the animal shelter to pet the kitties, and somehow came out with signed adoption papers. She was so sociable and talkative. When I was trying to get a picture of her with my cellphone, she just kept headbutting my phone to say "pet me! pet me!" When got her she was missing much of her fur due to a food allergy, and had never been spayed (she was spayed before she left the shelter though.) I always wondered if she had kittens. She has kind of saggy nipples, which is why I wonder. I also don't know why her old people left her at the shelter. My roommates think that it may have been because they saw her losing her fur, panicked, and didn't want to/have the money to pay the vet to find out what was wrong. That's the mos logical response I can come up with, given her disposition. Because, come on, who would give up a cat who wants nothing more than to snuggle you, sit on your lap, and occasionally scream at you because -gasp- her food dish is only halfway full!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am 
WELFARIST!

Yes, I always do! We adopted my cat years ago and the place where we adopted her said they didn't know her history at all. She was already litter box trained, fixed, declawed (:/) and she was already as sweet as could be. She looked very well taken care of.

Recently, I went with my friend to adopt an elderly dog and they told us the reason why his owners brought him in was because of financial problems. I'm so glad she was able to give him a better life. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:26 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Awesome stories! I wonder that about Rowan a lot because I've never met a bunny like him:
When I brought him home from the shelter, he just stood straight up and made himself right at home. He doesn't squirm at all when you pick him up and he adores meeting new people. I suspect he was given to a young child when he was a little baby (Easter?) and carried around CONSTANTLY until the kid lost interest. I support people with disabilities and when my coworkers asked me to bring a rabbit in for easter, I wasn't into it at first until I realized that Rowan would LOVE it (and he did). My lady bunnies on the other hand came from a "meat rabbit" farm where they were in wire cages with no shelter other than boards on top. They are friendly, but not nearly as outgoing with people.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:02 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I think about it but it makes me angry, some of my bunny & pig-friends have quite sad stories...

Piccolo was rescued from a rabbit breeder who had lost control and was massively over populated,

Michelle was taken to a vet to be pts because she was "vicious" - she's never tried to bite me, luckily the vet didn't listen to their story and just took her off their hands,

Oliver was kept in a tiny hutch his whole life until he was surrendered to the sanctuary. He couldn't hop properly because he'd never had the opportunity and it took 2 years for him to get to a point where he would voluntarily seek my attention,

Wallace is the daughter of a meat rabbit - her mother (who was preggers with Wallace and her sister at the time) was "left over" at the end of a market, the lady that rescued her bought her for 50p when she found that the owner was going to wring her neck as she was surplus to requirements,

Ted was found in a cardboard box at the side of the road at 8 weeks old,

Eric (GP) was kept in a tiny cage with about 20 other pigs and had resorted to eating privet (which is poisonous) as it was the only food available,

Sadie was sold at a reduced price by the pet shop because she was too old (i.e. not cute enough) to sell at full price.

(some) People are ass-holes. I feel very proud to share my home with such wonderful animals that have gone through so much and still manage to love unconditionally - you can see with some of them (particularly Eric-Pig) that they appreciate the care that they get and I'm so pleased to have been able to help them all out.

Boycott Shampoo. Demand Real Poo.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

raynedropp wrote:
Awesome stories! I wonder that about Rowan a lot because I've never met a bunny like him:
When I brought him home from the shelter, he just stood straight up and made himself right at home. He doesn't squirm at all when you pick him up and he adores meeting new people. I suspect he was given to a young child when he was a little baby (Easter?) and carried around CONSTANTLY until the kid lost interest. I support people with disabilities and when my coworkers asked me to bring a rabbit in for easter, I wasn't into it at first until I realized that Rowan would LOVE it (and he did). My lady bunnies on the other hand came from a "meat rabbit" farm where they were in wire cages with no shelter other than boards on top. They are friendly, but not nearly as outgoing with people.

He is so cute!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ZofPants, your poor babies-- especially Oliver! I'm glad they have you now! (Oh, and I want to visit your house)

ZofPants wrote:
Sadie was sold at a reduced price by the pet shop because she was too old (i.e. not cute enough) to sell at full price.
This blows my mind. One of the most common comments I get from people meeting my bunnies is about how big they are-- and with the exception of one, they are not big at all! Have people really never seen the adult versions of those little babies in the pet store? Makes me cringe to think of how many never make it past babyhood :'(

janejellyroll: yes him is ;-)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:21 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

raynedropp - I know, peeps say my bunnies are big too. Only one is - she's a giant cross and is actually only 6kg so about half the size of a proper giant. Sadie is a guineapig - she was only 12wks old when i got her - i would hope that most people have their pets more than 4 weeks so those tidgy baby 8 wk GPs will be "uncute" soon enough. When I told my vet he was really cross - he said she's v cute. And she is. But more than that she has an amazing personality. :)

Oliver was apparently 2 when I adopted him which would make him 5 now but the vet reckons he's actually much older so goodness knows how long he lived before he learnt how to hop - it made me cry when i first put him on the grass outside, he did a massive binky and looked genuinely shocked. I don't think he'd ever experienced "happy" before. :(

They all live in my spare room, the GPs are in the living room in a mahoosive cage i made myself. It's 5ft x 2.5ft. I'm so proud of them all:)

You're no-bunny unless some-bunny loves you. <3

Boycott Shampoo. Demand Real Poo.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ZofPants wrote:
Oliver was apparently 2 when I adopted him which would make him 5 now but the vet reckons he's actually much older so goodness knows how long he lived before he learnt how to hop - it made me cry when i first put him on the grass outside, he did a massive binky and looked genuinely shocked. I don't think he'd ever experienced "happy" before. :(

Aww, poor guy! I'm so glad he has a wonderful home with you now! My little dog is named Oliver too, and I named him partly after a wonderful little bunny at the shelter I used to volunteer at. Oliver (the bunny) was so sweet and friendly, he used to love to climb on my shoulder!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

all I know is that she (cat-darth vader) was brought to the shelter in a coffee can! She is a few years old, so she had to be a kitten to fit in one-they warned us to not have cans out in case she sees one. She is very affectionate so I don't know why she sat there for around 2 years without being adopted? She caught my attention right away because she was ramming into the cage trying to get my attention and once she got out she was all over my daughter-who is very wild and loud-the other cats were cowering in the corner and I felt awful bringing her in there. Vader must have spent some time outdoors as a stray-she tries to escape any chance she can get and gets into the garbage and my 2 year olds meals all the time.
A cat I got from the same place a decade ago has since passed, but Charlie's claws were jacked up-the vet said it looked like someone did a diy declawing :( Regardless, he caught my attention the same way as Vader-they are so forgiving!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yea I think about it with our older adopted dog. She jumps and runs out of the room any time something moves. She also likes to howl when ambulances go by. I wish I could ask her what that was about and tell her she doesn't need to be so afraid.
Mostly I wonder what she was like as a puppy because she is so cute now when she hops around in the yard I bet she was extra adorable back then.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 am 
Ninja Master

I wonder about our cat Jazzy's former life a lot too. We know that her previous owner had dimensia and just used to leave bowls of food all over the house and that is how she got so obese. Poor baby has lost a lot of weight but is still overweight so is on a restricted diet. Also her digestion is all messed up.

I wonder if anything else also happened to her because she is very very nervous and skittish around people. She has to really trust you to let you pet her and even then it's on her terms only. The slightest noises make her jump and if she is really scared (usually if there's a stranger in the house) she will run and hide between the bed and the wall or outside.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

Yup! We adopted a feral kitty and since she seemed young when we took her in, we kind of just assumed she had never lived with people before. She's been indoor/outdoor this whole time and we just let her out to do her business. Well this morning she shocked the hell out of us when she walked into the bathroom and used our other cat's litter box like a pro. So now I do wonder what her situation was before she found us, seems like something she would have been trained to do living in someone's home and not something to do on instinct.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:38 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

baps wrote:
I wonder about our cat Jazzy's former life a lot too.

Yay, we have a cat named Jazz too!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wonder about my dogs' former live all the time. especially our first dog who is ummm...... "special"
both we adopted as adults (at seperate times) and both clearly had a checkered past. we're guessing both were abused/neglected in some form.

our first dog Willy is a nut job. we thought we were getting a lovable laid back lab mix what we got was.........a nut job. apparently he had been a stray though i do not believe in MA a dog can go two full years (how old we were told he was when we got him though we think he may have been older) being a stray, so we think he may have had a crappy home at one point.
he was CLEARLY never socialized as a puppy and pretty much everything whigs him out. he goes completely bonkers when he sees another dog. not aggressive, just nuts. he jumps, spins, barks, freaks out, and makes this noise we call a "turkey gobble"
we cant manage him through distraction or treats so we basically just avoid all other dogs.
he is not good with changes in his environment or schedule so basically anything new needs to be taken slow. he is pretty good with people but better with people he knows. he calms down pretty quickly after meeting new people but i do NOT trust him around children. he has a thing for faces and if he gets too excited he will snap at your face. sometimes i just wonder what the heck is going through his crazed doggie brain. he is such the sweetest boy in the world and i just love him so much but man he is nuts, and a hand full. people tell us repeatedly that its a good thing we adopted him because other wise he probably would eventually have been put down :-(

our other dog Marty is VERY timid. he at least seems to have had a semi-ok home previously. he is calm and doesnt care about other dogs in the least unless they get too close. he loves people though is very timid around new people. he had pretty bad seperation anxiety when we got him and he basically shuts down wtih grooming type things like nail clipping. he doesnt like yelling so if me and my husband are arguing he will visibly start to tremble. if my husband puts sports on the tv he will leave the room and go down the hall and hide under the table my guinea pigs are on. we think maybe in his previous home he may have been hit and yelled at alot. he is kind of a scamp and does some bad things but nothing that would ever warrant hitting or yelling (though im not sure what could possibly warrant hitting a dog anyways)
he is slowly getting better though. not as timid as before and aside from nail clipping we have gotten to relax for other grooming things (ear cleaning, brushing, tooth brushing, etc)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:00 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My ex-roommate adopted my Max from an animal shelter when he was about 8 years old. I moved in about 6 months later and we both cared for Max until he died 1 1/2 years ago at the age of about 19.

All we knew about Max was that he had been in animal shelters twice before, and he had 3 names before my friend named him Max, was not an outddor cat and didn't get along with other cats - but that is it.
I constantly wondered what his story was, and the thought that someone did not want him anymore, or maybe even harmed him, always made me cry. He was such a sweet and easy-going cat, he never damaged anything in the house, or scratched and snarled. All he really wanted was to be petted, brushed, sleep, eat, and occasionally someone who played with him.
Here's a pic of my loveable little man:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Max is adorable, and Riley looks almost exactly like Max!

Took Riley to the vet this morning for his annual shots and check-up, and he did fantastic! Yes, he moaned and groaned from his carrier in car, but then I started to sing to him, and he calmed right down. Riley, is a big fan of the Beatles White album, so I sang 'Martha' and 'Cry Baby Cry' to him.

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3