| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan dogs?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:15 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

well... I guess I'll just jump in all controversial like....

Anyone here feed their dogs vegan?

I do :)

Well my Border Collie was always vegan-ish because I fed her scraps and she looked great, then I got brow beaten into giving her "real" food and within a few weeks she looked awful, starey coat, loads of weight gain (despite being very active and me only feeding a tiny amount of the "recommended" amount of food) So anyway boring story even more boring she back to being vegan-ish but having home cooked meals (with vegedog powder, nutritional yeast and olive oil), so now I have my old dog back and at 11 she is back to being mistaken for a young dog!

Post subject: Re: vegan dogs?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am seriously considering this. Doc is mostly on a vegan diet now, been on it for a few months, but with vegan kibble. I want to switch him to a more whole-foods diet, and I've been giving him less kibble with more whole-foods (starting with bananas and pumpkin for the last few weeks). Though, he's been really gassy! They are the loud-but-odorless, NOT the silent-but-deadly, so at least that's good. :)

I need to find a vegan dog cookbook...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:39 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i don't think this is very controversial since dogs are omnivores, just like poeple are, but i know it gets some people going. our bub, vee is a vegan/freegan. we feed him all vegan at home--he eats twice a day. first feeding is natural balance with some smoked tofu, second feeding is natural balance with some og canned pumpkin. he gets treats throughout the day, depending on where i am and what i'm eating. and a big chunk of dedydrated swet potato at night (sam's yam). i don't usually fuss when other people give him non-vegan treats, but dazee doesn't like it.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Strummer is a very healthy little vegan lady.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

sadie is mostly vegan (she takes heartworm meds with pork flavoring since they discontinued the other stuff she used to take and i don't trust the other option that's out there.) also, occasionally she gets plain old vegetarian doggie treats.

she used to eat avoderm, but they've been reformulating for months now. we feed her 1/2 natural balance and 1/2 nature's recipe.

she eats 1 oz of pumpkin in frozen pop form (we mix her vegan glucosamine in it, since it comes in powder form) freeze it in ice tube trays. and a handful or two of green beans over the course of the day as treats.

and whatever we're cutting up for dinner that night. (except for the bad things like onions, mushrooms, garlic, walnuts, raisins, chocolate etc.) she also does not care much for celery and lettuce and most leafy veggies. (she does eat kale ribs, just not the leaves.) everything else is fair game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:36 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Both of my dogs are vegan. They are fed twice a day, breakfast is natural balance with either lentils or beans added, then dinner is lentils or beans with rice, zucchini, carrots, nooch, random greens. They also snack on apples or other dog-friendly fruits or veggies (every month or so they get a bite of durian. They LOVE it.) People have tried to talk me out of their diet, but the dogs are so healthy now that they eat this way. My 11 year old lab used to smell so bad people almost gagged, but now she smells good enough to snuggle. =D

Eta- I forgot, my dogs love green beans and kale more than anything.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:48 pm 

my dog smells good enough to eat. (seriously, she smells like corn chips and occasionally like popcorn. and her farts smell like chickpeas.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:50 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

My dogs smell like corn chips, too!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:03 pm 
Inflexitarian

I hadn't even considered this topic controversial. I guess I've just been vegan too long! My dogs have been vegan for about 3 1/2 years, maybe a little more. They eat Nature's Balance food and love it. They've really thrived on the food, and the vet is extremely happy with how beautiful Tyler's skin and coat is (he used to have the flakiest skin). They also snack on just about any vegetable you can imagine and love green leafy veggies. Their current top 10 favorite foods are: kale, broccoli, edamame, carrots, sweet potatoes, tofu, chickpeas, navy beans, peas, lentils (beluga lentils are the current favorite).

Surprisingly the one thing they hate the most in the world is pinto beans. Which just makes me giggle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:04 pm 
Inflexitarian

supercarrot wrote:
sadie is mostly vegan (she takes heartworm meds with pork flavoring since they discontinued the other stuff she used to take and i don't trust the other option that's out there.) also, occasionally she gets plain old vegetarian doggie treats.

she used to eat avoderm, but they've been reformulating for months now. we feed her 1/2 natural balance and 1/2 nature's recipe.

she eats 1 oz of pumpkin in frozen pop form (we mix her vegan glucosamine in it, since it comes in powder form) freeze it in ice tube trays. and a handful or two of green beans over the course of the day as treats.

and whatever we're cutting up for dinner that night. (except for the bad things like onions, mushrooms, garlic, walnuts, raisins, chocolate etc.) she also does not care much for celery and lettuce and most leafy veggies. (she does eat kale ribs, just not the leaves.) everything else is fair game.

they now have shots that last for 6 months for heartworm, the boys just started there's last month. Very happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:17 pm 

GuineaPig wrote:
they now have shots that last for 6 months for heartworm, the boys just started there's last month. Very happy with it.

oh, interesting. do you know what it's called? i'll have to look into that. (we live across the street from a lake, and i suspect some of our neighbors have standing water. it's ridiculous over here with the mosquitoes, so i can't just not give it to her.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:21 pm 
Dead by dawn

Amos and kittee's Vee are just about food twins. Amos eats Natural Balance for his main food and I add flax oil to his dinner. He also gets canned pumpkin, lentils, chickpeas and veggies pretty regularly. I don't mind what other people give him; he had a meaty treat at Mud Bay today when we went to get a new leash and harness. He's a happy, healthy little man and I'm glad to keep my kitchen vegan and have a dog food that doesn't stink (NB kibble smells kind of like peanut butter.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

yeah, it doesn't bother me when people give him treats that aren't vegan, and I probably even have a few stashed around the house as well. But I love the idea of him eating a clean, healthy diet where I actually know what he is eating.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My three dogs, Biba, Juniper and Ziggy are all healthy, happy vegans. Biba's favorite food is tofu, Juniper lives for a dropped piece of pasta and Ziggy eats mostly everything. Which is remarkable, considering she has no teeth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:03 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Neko and Boston only rock vegan food and they refuse to wear another animals fur.

"POSI JUMP HURTS MY TITS" - Isa.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:26 pm 
Inflexitarian

supercarrot wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:

oh, interesting. do you know what it's called? i'll have to look into that. (we live across the street from a lake, and i suspect some of our neighbors have standing water. it's ridiculous over here with the mosquitoes, so i can't just not give it to her.)

It's called ProHeart 6. Brit used to get the old ProHeart that worked for 12 months before it was pulled about 4 years ago. He was fine with the old one and the new one, and Tyler's done well too. Even when my dogs ate meat getting them to eat an entire cube of that meaty heartworm med was impossible and the pill was a torturous experience so the shot is great for us.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

This thread is very helpful—we're about to adopt a dog (probably this week!) and I want to learn as much as I can about how to feed him a healthy vegan diet. Are there any websites or books I should check out in lieu of asking a whole ton of questions here? I seem to remember a comprehensive thread on the old boards, but I didn't save the links....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Olen is vegan. He eats natural balance twice a day, and loves it. He also has some peanut butter treats, and occasional foods from me, but he has a sensitive stomach..so I don't give him too many different foods. He has sometimes gotten other treats at our parents' houses, but eh. The treats that my MIL has make all her dogs stinky, so I told her no this last time. He even uses a peanut butter toothpaste, but still has stinky dog breath :( .

This is a good link: http://www.vegandognutritionassociation.com/ and the book: http://www.vegandognutritionassociation ... ition.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:00 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Poppy is almost vegan, I've been changing her over for a few weeks and her vet commented last week on how well she was looking. She's toy dog sized so lots of tummy issues and needs her anal glands squeezed every month. After a very severe bout of gastroenteritis last winter she had to be put on to sensitive food but she was still eating a lot of grass & her coat wasn't as glossy as it used to be. Since shifting her over she's eating less grass & and her eyes & coat are shiny, shiny!

I'm doing it with caution atm because I'm not able to took for her atm so am relying on kibble that contains soy. As long as she continues to thrive on it she'll be vegan. I'm not going to worry about her medications or treats people give her.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:10 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

SandyBadlands wrote:
This thread is very helpful—we're about to adopt a dog (probably this week!) and I want to learn as much as I can about how to feed him a healthy vegan diet. Are there any websites or books I should check out in lieu of asking a whole ton of questions here? I seem to remember a comprehensive thread on the old boards, but I didn't save the links....

http://www.vegandognutritionassociation.com/

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

allychristine wrote:

melisser wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:

http://www.vegandognutritionassociation.com/

Thanks! I will pay it forward by sending this to my vegan friends with meat-eating dogs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 pm 

Haha! So I made my entrance in style then ;)

Nice to hear from some long term vegan dog owners.
I hear so much about the "natural" diet of dogs but people fail to understand that dogs are not wolves, they have evolved alongside us, eating our leftovers... and before commercial dog food family pets wouldn't have been fed high quality meat but vegetable scraps and other "human" food, any meat in their diet would have been tiny... poor families with working dogs tended to eat all their meat lol.

But yup, so glad my collie is back to normal, she really scared me, she began to look so old and once they do that they go down hill pretty quick :(

My 12 month old yorkie is also loving the vegan food and looking fantastic, used to get weepy eyes that cleared up and itchy, gone as well.

Funny thing is, since I started cooking for the dogs the CAT is now hanging around trying to steal it and leaving her normal cat food .... time to think about vegan cats???

Oh Hi btw XD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:41 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

No, cats are oblique carnivores. There was a vegan vet on the old PPK forums who said she would never feed a vegan diet to a cat. If it goes wrong it has horrific consequences for the poor cat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

my greyhound maia is vegan, and doing really well. she hates natural balance kibble (unfortunately, since it's easy to come by around here and it's cheaper than the alternatives), so she mostly eats evolution kibble. sometimes we switch out for a bag of ami kibble.

we add a blurb of flax oil to her food, and give her a few bites of canned food (we rotate among the various options) with one of her meals each day.

maia has a heart murmur, but both her regular vet and her cardio vet are on board with her vegan diet. yay!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:16 pm 

fezza wrote:
No, cats are oblique carnivores. There was a vegan vet on the old PPK forums who said she would never feed a vegan diet to a cat. If it goes wrong it has horrific consequences for the poor cat.

I was of that opinion as well but was also told that commercial cat food often has to add Taurine (often in plant form) as the taurine was killed in the processing?

What do you guys feed your cats?