| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: vegan dogs?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

HandsInTheDirtAgain wrote:
fezza wrote:
No, cats are oblique carnivores. There was a vegan vet on the old PPK forums who said she would never feed a vegan diet to a cat. If it goes wrong it has horrific consequences for the poor cat.

I was of that opinion as well but was also told that commercial cat food often has to add Taurine (often in plant form) as the taurine was killed in the processing?

What do you guys feed your cats?

Yes, the same synthetic taurine is used in commercial meat-based and vegan cat foods. The only major issue that has been found with vegan cats is urinary tract blockage. Unfortunately this can be a big problem, mainly for male cats. There are many people who feed vegan diets to cats successfully, but you have to be aware of the possible issues. You can read more here. I know some vegans feed their cats meat from family farms (there are some commercial pet foods that claim they don't use factory-farmed meat.). I don't know of any vegans who do a freegan-type diet for their cats, but I'm sure that's possible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

And to answer the original question, my dog has been vegan for about 7 years now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Gizmo has been vegan for a little while now and she loves it. I make huge batches of food for her and freeze them in weekly portions. She gets sweet potato, beans, brown rice, apples, veggie broth, a few beets, carrots and whatever other veggies I have around for her. I cook it all into a mush and she eats that with a little of Natures Balance vegan formula mixed in as well as the vegedog supplements, and a spoonful of flax oil mixed in.

She is healthier than she was when I got her and her dry itchy skin with hotspots is all cleared up. Although my ex's father told me yesterday that she would go blind without meat. Sigh. Silly omni.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Penny's insides are sensistive so she is on prescription dogfood (Hill's I/D) which I hate, but it keeps her solid. I tried switching her to Natural Balance over the summer but she wouldn't eat enough and started to get thin so I put her back on the I/D and started adding enzymes to her food. She's doing great now so I want to see if enzymes + veg food might work. I don't like paying tons of money for food that has corn and chicken byproduct in the first few ingredients. I'd rather pay money for real food.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 pm 
WRETCHED

We feed our dogs v-dog. They do get some non vegan treats at doggie daycare but other than that, I give them vegan treats.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Olen gets more compliments than any other dog I've ever known/seen. Obviously, this is mainly due to his natural handsomeness, but sometimes I just way to say, "he's vegan!" after a compliment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:34 am 
Baking In The Flavor

yay vegan dogs!

I use vegedog and make all my dog's food at home. it's surprisingly easy, and i never have to worry that the pet store is out of stock of her food, or have to special order it from some vegan company. i previously used v-dog, but she prefers the wet food now.

and it's easy to find vegan biscuits/treats.

here's Sugar:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have started trying to switch Zeus (5 month old black lab cross) to vegan dog food over the last week and so far he has awful gas! He clears me out of rooms on a regular basis and if I hadn't of been driving today I would have bailed out of the moving vehicle to escape.
Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not sure if I need to give him more time, or slow down the transition of kibble. Or maybe give him more human grade food and rely less on kibble?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

allychristine wrote:
Olen gets more compliments than any other dog I've ever known/seen. Obviously, this is mainly due to his natural handsomeness, but sometimes I just way to say, "he's vegan!" after a compliment.

Haha I love this! Doc is the same way, people just can't seem to help but love on him. Yay for our handsome furbabies!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:27 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

teapot wrote:
I have started trying to switch Zeus (5 month old black lab cross) to vegan dog food over the last week and so far he has awful gas! He clears me out of rooms on a regular basis and if I hadn't of been driving today I would have bailed out of the moving vehicle to escape.
Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not sure if I need to give him more time, or slow down the transition of kibble. Or maybe give him more human grade food and rely less on kibble?

Doc had crazy gas when I started adding some pumpkin recently, but it seems to be getting less. It's more of the "loud but odorless" variety, though...

If he's good on it otherwise (healthy poos, eating enough, etc.), maybe give it a little more time and see if the gas lessens...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

for mofo, i'm posting a pic of sadie eating a different food each day.

today's pic is her emphatically choosing natural balance over nature's recipe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/supercarrot/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

supercarrot wrote:
for mofo, i'm posting a pic of sadie eating a different food each day.

today's pic is her emphatically choosing natural balance over nature's recipe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/supercarrot/

Oh! I want to know the other outcomes. Olen really likes his Natural Balance, but I wonder about others. (not that we have a lot of choices locally)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:54 am 
Naked Under Apron

My little beagle has been eating vegan for about 4 1/2 years and is doing great! I feed her Natural Balance and just leave her bowl full all the time; she eats when she's hungry and isn't overweight. People sometimes give her non-vegan stuff, but I don't really mind too much, as long as it's just a little.

She also goes crazy for sweet potatoes, and loves steamed veggies, peanut butter, and the occasional tortilla chips from Moe's (just Moe's, she is very particular!).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

My dog Milo has been vegan since I got him at 4 months old, he's 9 now. He's beautiful and healthy, and people always think he's 2 or 3 years old, he's so "youthful" acting at the park (he's kind of a dork). I feed him Evolution kibble. I don't mind if others give him meaty snacks every now and then, but he seems to prefer broccoli trimmings anyway.

My two female cats are vegan too, and also eat Evolution kibble (for cats). I've had them for 4 years, they're healthy. I did research when I got them, and it seemed like female cats would likely be fine vegan, but perhaps not males. Good thing they're female, because I'd have a really hard time feeding my animals meat. I just don't want to support that industry no way no how.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:16 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Both my current dogs are vegan and our dog who just died at 14 was vegan. Sienna the pit bull (in the pic with me) loves lots of veggies and stonewall's jerkey.

We just adopted Ellie a few months ago. She was on meat food with the person she was with before and was having bad gas and stomach problems. She does a lot better on vegan food--barely any gas. She loves Natural Balanced canned. I want to get her on fresh veggies too but since she was a street dog I am giving her some time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bittofraw wrote:
Both my current dogs are vegan and our dog who just died at 14 was vegan. Sienna the pit bull (in the pic with me) loves lots of veggies and stonewall's jerkey.

We just adopted Ellie a few months ago. She was on meat food with the person she was with before and was having bad gas and stomach problems. She does a lot better on vegan food--barely any gas. She loves Natural Balanced canned. I want to get her on fresh veggies too but since she was a street dog I am giving her some time.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog who died. Was he/she vegan for 14 years?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:51 am 
Huffs Nooch

Lilly May and Jasper eat Natural Balance with different mix-ins (carrots, apples, rice, oats, pumpkin, beans, lentils, etc.). They love it and are both very healthy. I make them homemade vegan treats and sometimes buy some, but don't worry too much about a non-vegan treat here and there. Sometimes I get free things from work and such and as long as they aren't filled with artificial crepe I'll let them have a few.

I just took in a puppy mill rescue (pictures to come!) and he's a little long-haired chihuahua. He's eating soft non-vegan food now (just had 9 teeth removed), but will be going back to at least some kibble soon. What do all of you with such tiny dogs feed your pooches? I'll try the natural balance, but I wonder if the pieces are kind of big for him, especially without a full mouth of teeth. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Our cat is not vegan, but I usually get a lot of her food free. We have on over-abundance of donations and when there's a kind I feel comfortable with her eating that we aren't going to use at the shelter, I'll bring it home for her and do the half-and-half mixing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:59 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

jessica, Sugar is adorbs!

Molly has been vegan in the two years we've had her. At least in our house! She used to be on VDog but our local store began carrying Natural Life as well, so we switched her to that. On special occasions she gets a drizzle of olive oil or a sprinkling of nooch OR some of the $3-a-can vegan wet food from Rainbow Grocery. She loves fruit and veggies and will do just about anything for a piece of nori.

That said, she always licks Millie's bowl when she is over (Millie eats nasty meaty stuff, yuck, and I'd rather feed it to her for 2 days when we have her than risk upsetting her digestive system by suddenly switching her food) and a few weeks ago she picked up a chicken drumstick someone had thoughtfully left on the sidewalk. She is a good girl, though, and dropped it when I told her too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
she picked up a chicken drumstick someone had thoughtfully left on the sidewalk. She is a good girl, though, and dropped it when I told her too.

haha, Olen has done that too. I think it was just a bone. I was like, ewwww gross. and he dropped it.
he now just slowly walks by (staring) at all food pieces on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

how much apple do you all give your dogs? For some reason, I thought it wasn't the best thing for them, but Olen does love apple. I've just been giving him several bites.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My dog is pretty obsessed with apples, so I give him a few slices whenever I have a chance. He's not too fond of the skin, but he'll eat it. We've never had any problems at all no matter how much apple we've given him, and his tiny little teeth look so cute chomping up the crispy bits. As long as you don't let them eat the core/chew up seeds, I think the only risk you're running is for your pup to have a few... digestive issues, much in the way people do when they have a lot of fiber.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:51 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Zeus is now pooping like a vegan. Like 6 times a day; good for him, bad for me!

Also, he loves apples too!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm 
Huffs Nooch

AC- I give my dogs each about half of a really small apple when they have it, but that's not every day. They LOVE apples. I think apples are okay, but you just have to be sure not to let them have the seeds, I think that's the part that's bad for them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

I wouldn't say Lila is vegan, because I do not feel that she follows a philosophy of not exploiting other animals (as the cat knows, ha-ha). But, we do feed her vegan food. She gets Evolution kibble mixed with some water and cooked lentils or brown rice, or occasionally some squash, pumpkin, or sweet potatoes (depending on what we have in the kitchen). She also gets a supplement for l-carnitine, since Evolution doesn't have it added in, and it might be needed.

When we adopted her she was eating the Science Diet kibble, and had tummy troubles and some dandruff. The vet suggested she might have a food allergy, so we switched to a kibble that was supposed to be good for allergic dogs and happened to be vegetarian (I forget the brand). She did much better on it but stopped liking the food, so we switched to Evolution with the added-in cooked stuff. She is super healthy now (the vet actually said "super healthy"), extremely energetic, and has a very shiny coat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:08 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

jessica wrote:
yay vegan dogs!

I use vegedog and make all my dog's food at home. it's surprisingly easy, and i never have to worry that the pet store is out of stock of her food, or have to special order it from some vegan company. i previously used v-dog, but she prefers the wet food now.

and it's easy to find vegan biscuits/treats.

here's Sugar:

Looks like Sugar's enjoying the beer! It's good to read this, my parents' dog eats raw and sometimes cooked meat (usually chicken) but she does put on weight easily. I don't know if they'd be willing to go completely vegan yet but I'm sure they'd like to add other things to make her healthier.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next