| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: vegan dogs?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

What do you guys give your dogs for treats? Not just cookies but something they can actually chew on for a while?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Molly doesn't have a full set of teeth, so while she can eat solid food just fine, I don't want to overexert her by giving her something she has to gnaw on for an hour.

When I need to keep her busy, I give her a saucer-shaped kong filled with peanut butter and a few biscuits mixed in. She LOVES it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Molly is so cute, I can't take it! Those ears! Her little nose!
Dulli is also obsessed with his little purple treat saucer thing. I've had excellent luck freezing peanut butter into Kongs; it occupies him for a good hour or two, and that way, it doesn't get so messy/drooly. At least not immediately. Putting a towel down usually works, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 am 
Lime and a Coconut

stephanie wrote:
Molly is so cute, I can't take it! Those ears! Her little nose!
Dulli is also obsessed with his little purple treat saucer thing. I've had excellent luck freezing peanut butter into Kongs; it occupies him for a good hour or two, and that way, it doesn't get so messy/drooly. At least not immediately. Putting a towel down usually works, too.

Ooh , good tip! Molly thanks you for the compliments. I think she's pretty nifty myself :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:32 pm 
Dead by dawn

teapot wrote:
What do you guys give your dogs for treats? Not just cookies but something they can actually chew on for a while?

I give Amos dried sweet potato (Sam's Yams) for chewies. They don't last very long, but they're more of a project than a cookie.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

monkeytoes wrote:
teapot wrote:

I give Amos dried sweet potato (Sam's Yams) for chewies. They don't last very long, but they're more of a project than a cookie.

I was going to ask something similar. Does anyone have any good suggestions for like a chew type toy/thing? Something like a bone, but obviously not a bone. I'm not convinced that Olen would be interested in those plastic type chew things. ?
He's never been mega interested in raw hide bones (they gave us one when we took him home from shelter), anyway, but I want something for his teeth/gums.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm helping out at my sisters store and in addition to Sam's Yams they also carry Snook's Sweet Potato Chews. They seem a lot more firm than Sam's Yams and some are sold in strings on a sturdy organic hemp rope. They are supposed to be good for dog's teeth and gums. Here's a link to them online (http://olivegreendog.com/snooks-organic ... chews.html).

Also on this site there's a link to naturally shed deer antlers that are supposed to be good for teeth as well, but I suppose some people could find this questionable (and I haven't looked into the company).

Unfortunately at this phase in my life I do not have a companion, but I'm happy all of you have such healthy and compassionate pups!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thedreamofhorses wrote:
I'm helping out at my sisters store and in addition to Sam's Yams they also carry Snook's Sweet Potato Chews. They seem a lot more firm than Sam's Yams and some are sold in strings on a sturdy organic hemp rope. They are supposed to be good for dog's teeth and gums. Here's a link to them online (http://olivegreendog.com/snooks-organic ... chews.html).

Also on this site there's a link to naturally shed deer antlers that are supposed to be good for teeth as well, but I suppose some people could find this questionable (and I haven't looked into the company).

Unfortunately at this phase in my life I do not have a companion, but I'm happy all of you have such healthy and compassionate pups!

Thank you! I think I'll get him one for christmas. I like that artichoke toy, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We've had our dog for 2 years now and he's been mostly vegan. He eats Natural Balance dry food and gets 1/3 can Avoderm wet food every morning. Sometimes we make our own food which usually has oatmeal or brown rice, carrots, apple, and a little peanut butter. We give him the occasional egg from a chicken rescue and we don't freak out if other people give him meat. The only time I give him meat is so he'll swallow pills from the ve--we bury the pill in these little training treats. He seems to be able to work them out of any other goodie (peanut butter, etc).

He doesn't like many veggies other than green beans and lettuce but he goes nuts over fruit or anything sweet like bananas, apples, pineapple, sweet potato.

I'd say that he definitely prefers meat over anything....we've done the experiment. Makes sense. But he's really healthy on a veg diet so that's what we're going to stick with!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I picked up dried sweet potato for Zeus yesterday and he loved it! I think it lasted him at least five minutes which is a record these days. I have also been making him "popsicles" modeled after the ones that the pet store sells and he loves those as well. A bit messier though!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm 
Dead by dawn

thedreamofhorses wrote:

I bought Amos one of these and they are super awesome. He just got done gnawing on it for a good half hour and only managed to eat about as much as 1 - 1.5 Sam's Yams (the slices.) If I give it to him for 15 minutes or so at a time, it'll last a good long while and let him get some good chewing it. Thanks for the recommendation!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:53 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Does anyone know any good vegan treats other that sweet potato flavored ones? Chester won't eat them so he mostly gets peanut butter stuff, but I can't deny that he goes much more crazy for meaty-flavors than he does for the peanut butter stuff. I've been treating him with cut up veggie dogs and bread but it's getting exxxpensive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think it's cheaper and easier to make your own dog treats, plus you can make whatever bizarre combo of flavors that your dog likes best.

I also got some weird banana-cinnamon-something biscuits at the store a while ago and my dog loved them. I'll see if I can find the brand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I found some (accidentally? vegan) peanut butter flavored treats at Petco a while back. They were right up at the checkouts 2 boxes for $5. I think they are just Petco brand? They are just flours, peanut butter, oil, and molasses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

allychristine wrote:
I found some (accidentally? vegan) peanut butter flavored treats at Petco a while back. They were right up at the checkouts 2 boxes for $5. I think they are just Petco brand? They are just flours, peanut butter, oil, and molasses.

was it blue dog bakery? (actually they might have egg, i forget)

she ate tofu yesterday.
sadie totally likes tofu by supercarrot, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

supercarrot wrote:
allychristine wrote:

was it blue dog bakery? (actually they might have egg, i forget)

she ate tofu yesterday.

So cute! teehee

I really dunno what they are. The box has like no brand. They don't have egg, though. It seems like they might make them especially for the 2/$5 stuff at the checkout? That's what the box is all about.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Chester likes tofu too! Liked it so much he got up on the counter and ate my freakin lunch. Not so adorable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Orion likes tofu too. But what drives him absolutely NUTS is stale bread. At the park it's a struggle to stop him not from chasing after the rabbits, but from scarfing down the bread people bring for the rabbits. I don't think they make treats cheaper than that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Resurrecting a dead thread, but I'm in need of some advice. We're adopting a rescue puppy next weekend and we're not totally sure what to feed him. Boyfriend and I both would love to feed him a vegan diet, but we called the woman who runs the rescue organisation this morning and she said he's been eating dry dog food mixed with leftover vegetables and minced meat.

We'll transition him onto vegan dry food with leftover veggies/proteins and probably leftover rice or pasta, but we don't want to upset his stomach by changing too much at once, or freak him out by giving him new food in a new house and making it all too much to deal with. Would it be horrible of us to eliminate the meat from his diet when he joins us, and replace it with some other kind of protein?

Secondly, the only vegan dog food I can get is Veganpet, which I'll need to order online. One site mentions that it's an adult dog food- would it be okay to feed him this in small amounts, maybe soaked in a little bit of water? He'll be around 13 weeks old when we pick him up next week.

Help us be awesome new parents!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm not positive, but I think one of the differences between puppy food and adult food is fat content, since puppies are growing. You may want to talk to a vet about what nutrients and ratios a growing puppy needs and see if you can meet that need by adding something, like some oil or veggies to an adult dog food.

As for eliminating the meat in the transition, it should be fine. My first dog was eating Iams when I adopted him (it's what they used at the ASPCA) and I switched him really quickly to a vegan food with no trouble. Some dogs have a harder time transitioning than others, but his tummy should adjust.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 pm 

Oh, and for anyone looking for chews other than sweet potato that last a little longer than cookies:

My dogs go nuts for puprrrmint sticks. They are the one treat that ALWAYS works to get my naughtier dog to come out if he's hiding from the dog walker:

They also love the little peppermint bones by the same brand, Talk to Me (these are little, not for longer chewing, but a good alternative to peanut butter treats).

Ami also makes these edible bones, but my dogs haven't tried them yet: http://store.veganessentials.com/ami-bo ... p2245.aspx

And I think the peanut butter flavor of Booda Bones are vegan. My dogs used to really like these and they took forever to finish chewing. I think there was one other vegan flavor too, but I can't remember what.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am not positive but I think nylabones are vegan too. I know they are sometimes meat flavored but I think I remember hearing they are vegan. I don't even know how to check. They are the only thing I have found that they can't chew through right away that isn't a real bone. my life would be hell without nylabones. They really keep my pups busy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Erinnerung wrote:
Secondly, the only vegan dog food I can get is Veganpet, which I'll need to order online. One site mentions that it's an adult dog food- would it be okay to feed him this in small amounts, maybe soaked in a little bit of water? He'll be around 13 weeks old when we pick him up next week.

Help us be awesome new parents!

This site says Veganpet dog food is suitable for puppies to adult. It's a good idea to slowly transition over to any new food.

tank wrote:
I am not positive but I think nylabones are vegan too. I know they are sometimes meat flavored but I think I remember hearing they are vegan. I don't even know how to check. They are the only thing I have found that they can't chew through right away that isn't a real bone. my life would be hell without nylabones. They really keep my pups busy.

Some of them have a bit of meat baked in. A while back, someone on the old boards emailed the nylabone company and got this response:
Quote:
Nylabone Non-Edible "Original" flavor chews (including Dental Chews) contain a small amount of chicken or other meat-based powder. The "Chicken," "Liver" and “Bacon” lines have extra flavor, meal or powder added. Our Dog-Safe Chocolate Flavor is an Original flavor bone coated with a chocolate-flavored caramel coating.

The following chews and toys do not contain meat or meat-based protein of any kind:

For Strong Chewers: Double Action Chews, Double Action Dental Chews, Bar-B-Chews T-Bone

For Moderate Chewers: Bar-B-Chews Cob Bone and Rib Rack

Interactive Toys: FRISBEE flying discs, Chubby Buddies (plush), Flexible Tug Toys, Rhino rubber Cones and Bones (vanilla scent), Rhino Tug Toys & Rope Toys (vanilla scent)

I hope this information helps you select an appropriate Nylabone for your dog.

Sincerely,
Christa Wilding
Nylabone Consumer Care
PO Box 427
Neptune, NJ 07754-0427

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
for mofo, i'm posting a pic of sadie eating a different food each day.

today's pic is her emphatically choosing natural balance over nature's recipe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/supercarrot/

Okay, these pictures are just too cute. We are going to be adopting a dog soon and we have talked about having him/her on a vegan diet so this thread is great for information.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 pm 

I am wondering if you all tell your dog's vet that your dog is vegan?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next