| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tell me about dalmatians!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It looks like we will be adopting a dalmatian in a couple days (just waiting for him to heal from minor surgery).

Tell me about dalmatians! All I know is that they have spots! Is there anything special I should know about them?

Post subject: Re: tell me about dalmatians!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

They super energetic and completely mental.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

They are really prone to urinary problems (bladder stones) so you may want to read up on that. All the ones I've known have been aloof with people who aren't their immediate family, but bond closely with their person. And they do need plenty of exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I can't remember if it is common for them to become blind or deaf when they age, but it is one of the two.

And they are super energetic but amazing dogs. Just make sure you get him lots of exercise and I am sure things will go great!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Robynn wrote:
I can't remember if it is common for them to become blind or deaf when they age, but it is one of the two.

And they are super energetic but amazing dogs. Just make sure you get him lots of exercise and I am sure things will go great!

It's deaf. You will have a great time with your new pup!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, deafness is super common!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

THEY ARE THE BEST DOGS EVER. (I grew up with a Dalmation... love love love love)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've heard from a lot of people that they have a horrible temperment. My uncle's dalmation is the devil in spots. He's bitten... 4 people that I know of. He's tried to bite me 6 times.
I have a feeling they're like rotti's or pit bulls though, and it depends on how you train them to be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:08 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have also heard that they have a bad temperament and have known a couple of people who have been bitten by them, too. But I really think that has all to do with the people and not the animal.

Have fun with your new pup! I wish I was getting a new one. I'm not "allowed" until I finish my masters degree. When I'm done it's my present. I personally think my partner doesn't want a third dog in the house because the dogs get way more attention than he does. Ha!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:21 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My dad used to breed dalmations when he was a young man (I know, I know, I know, I know) and he always said they were super-spirited and willful but lots of fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This guy is 9 years old and he still has a lot of energy. We should be able to take him home tomorrow (we thought it would be today, but he needed a little longer). The last time we adopted a 9 year old dog, we got a pretty quiet one. (We also just got a puppy two days ago, so things are going to be a little crazy in our house for a while.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:21 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Our dalmatian loved people, especially kids, but was a bit shy around large men. She was super hyper and even when she was middle-aged needed lots of exercise. Dalmatians are awesome!

The only downside is... the hair. Oh my god, the hair. It is everywhere, it sticks in everything, and I distinctly remember pulling dalmatian hair out of my foot as if it were a splinter, only harder to find because it was a freaking hair half embedded in my foot.

Ours had ear infections when she was younger, but no other health problems and didn't get any more blind/deaf than any of our other older dogs. She was super healthy til shortly before she died.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Okay, so we've had this guy a little over 24 hours. He has staples so he's not supposed to run, but there's no way! This guy has so much energy. He's been on several long walks, including with a backpack with weights, and still is very hyper active. He has a massive body and keeps walking into things and knocking stuff over (the e-collar is not helping with that). We took him to the dog park today for quite a while. I actually saw him lie down for a few minutes this evening, which was like a little miracle!

Whoever had him before certainly did not walk him and also just let him jump all over people and mount other dogs (he's fixed). My husband has been pretty good with training him, but he needs a lot of work. He is getting along really well with our other dog, our puppy, and our cats (although one of our cats is hiding from him and not eating). I am worried that this isn't going to work and feel like a crappy dog owner. We're trying to set up a consultation with the behavior therapist from the adoption agency. We are also trying to have a baby and need a dog that isn't going to knock over a small child. I'm kind of freaked out. He's got so much training to do.

How is a 9 year old more active than a puppy? I knew he was energetic, but this is more than I was expecting for a "senior dog."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Pi. wrote:

The only downside is... the hair. Oh my god, the hair. It is everywhere, it sticks in everything, and I distinctly remember pulling dalmatian hair out of my foot as if it were a splinter, only harder to find because it was a freaking hair half embedded in my foot.

This happens with Chester's hair! I thought I just had two freak accidents, but yep - pierced the skin and stuck in there and I had to pull out a super long splinter-hair! Semi-traumatizing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

kimba wrote:
I am worried that this isn't going to work and feel like a crappy dog owner. We're trying to set up a consultation with the behavior therapist from the adoption agency. We are also trying to have a baby and need a dog that isn't going to knock over a small child. I'm kind of freaked out. He's got so much training to do.

I think it will work out, it takes a while for dogs to adjust and I think things often seem pretty crazy at first. Also I can tell you that three-year-old me was perfectly fine with a little Dalmation-knocked-over love. Also, like you said, you have training to do! And, as we all can tell you on the PPK, you most definitely can teach an old dog new tricks. Just remember, he came from a shelter, I am sure he is pretty freaking stoked right now to have a dedicated family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mars wrote:
I think it will work out, it takes a while for dogs to adjust and I think things often seem pretty crazy at first. Also I can tell you that three-year-old me was perfectly fine with a little Dalmation-knocked-over love. Also, like you said, you have training to do! And, as we all can tell you on the PPK, you most definitely can teach an old dog new tricks. Just remember, he came from a shelter, I am sure he is pretty freaking stoked right now to have a dedicated family.

Thanks. One of my old coworkers does agility training with dalmatians, so I'm going to see if she has any ideas too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:04 pm 

Do you know what kind of environment he was in before he came to you? Like the amount of outside/running around time he had?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fee wrote:
Do you know what kind of environment he was in before he came to you? Like the amount of outside/running around time he had?

I'm not sure. I asked why he was given up and they said it just said "too many dogs" on his form.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:26 pm 

Then he might've been in a really high-energy household - maybe his home was like its own dog park. He'll probably adjust to lower energy after some time. When Chester came to live with me in an apartment after living with my mom who ran with him four miles every morning, I was losing my mind trying to keep up with him. Then after about a month he started being more of my speed, walking an hour a day, sleeping most of it away while I was at work...it was an adjustment period, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fee wrote:

Wow. I just talked to the lady I knew from work that works with Dalmatians, and she actually knew this dog and gave me a whole lot of information. I'll share later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So apparently she raised him until he was 4 1/2 years old. She works with a lot of dalmatians training them for shows. Then she gave him to a family that had him for about 5 years. There he had a good size yard where he got to run. The family was moving out of state, so they returned him to her. However, they had not taken care of his needs and he had an open wound that was bleeding and apparently had been open for months. There was blood all over. She is retired now and already has a lot of dogs and couldn't afford to pay for his vet bills. She had him for 2 days and then gave him to the adoption agency where she does agility training sometimes.

Apparently, he has won ribbons and earned 15 titles in obedience and agility. He was once #5 in the country. She said he's not really a hyper dog. She said that he "works for food." What he responds to is using "hot dogs and cheese" and with this he can do "sit" "down" and "stay."

She did recommend a bigger crate and a run in the AM and PM. She also said that she would be willing to take him back (though I'm not sure if that's possible under the agency's policy). She has 1/2 an acre (and I think she has other dalmatians now, I'm not sure). She also said she would be willing to come over and help with him. I'm not sure what to do yet, but this has given me a lot more information.

She was surprised that they didn't ask us about the size of our yard for him. The behavior therapist said that dogs can generally adjust to the change. I don't know what to do at this point. I think he might be better off somewhere where he does have 1/2 an acre, but at the same time I don't want him given up because he has medical needs. (Although, I think his medical needs might be resolved once he heals from the surgery.)

I'm not sure what to do! I'm glad to hear he's not totally psycho though! It's just that we were speaking a different language. Can dogs eat vegan hot dogs? Would he even like them?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Since he has done agility and obedience in the past, this is probably an activity he really enjoys and that could help channel his energy. Taking him through obedience and agility classes could be really fun for both of you, and help him bond and learn to listen to you. In the house you can do things like hiding treats and toys and encouraging him to find them, and using kongs and other food-dispensing toys to feed his meals. I would take the woman up on her offer to come over and teach you more about him.

Yes, you can use veggie hot dogs- cut into tiny pieces. I use them for the dogs at work if we need a higher value treat, because no way am I touching real hot dogs! I zap them in the microwave to make them stinkier, and thus more appealing to the dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Haha. We have been trying to give him his medicine with peanut butter, but he doesn't like peanut butter. So we gave it to him in some soyrizo and he gobbled it up! Who knew?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:46 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Any updates on how the dog is doing? I have been thinking about you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well, he's supposed to get his staples out tomorrow. Hopefully the cone will be able to come off permanently then, because the cone is the worst! (I have a lot of bruises from the cone!) He's still really crazy. My husband's taking him on long walks 2x daily. He's still too strong for me to walk him though! There have been some things that have improved with him though. He's sleeping on the couch now, so that's something!