| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JOYOUS EXCITEMENT: Getting a puppy! But baby names?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So Casey, our family golden passed away somewhat recently and everyone was/is heartbroken. At first my parents weren't sure they wanted another dog, then they thought about waiting until spring, then maybe in early in March, and now we're heading out to breeders next weekend! They've been going nuts without a dog in the house and basically the gist is next weekend we will be bringing someone home with us.
I'm personally stoked because even though I didn't say goodbye to Casey, I get to be one of the first to meet our newest family member.
Now the hard part: a name?
All we know is that we want a girl, another golden. Other than that it can't rhyme with a common command and needs two syllables, any suggestions?

Edit:
For you're viewing pleasure, what we've rejected so far: Muffin (what I wanted to name Casey when I was five, it's still on the reject list), Maddie, Pancake, Falafel, and Snooki (I've gotten some great suggestions as you can tell)
Still in the running: Ginger, Amber, Cruzan (which I've personally rejected)

Last edited by AshleyUndone on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: JOYOUS EXCITEMENT: Getting a puppy! But baby names?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Go to a rescue instead of a breeder? Please?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

celyn wrote:

We looked into it, but the rescues require a fenced yard which we don't have. My dad's being careful as he can and the reject breeder list is growing almost as fast as our reject name list.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:44 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I googled Golden Retriever Rescues in Baltimore and found a whole list!
http://www.google.ca/search?q=baltimore ... sQPtk72eDA
The Gold Heart one seemed especially promising. It sounds like although a fence would be preferable they mostly just want to ensure that the dog will be safe and secure.
It is a longer and more vigorous process to get a rescue dog instead of a breeder but in the end you will have a dog that is ideally suited to your family. And you will have saved a life!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:10 am 
<3

Have you looked online for names? I have Googled "baby names" "international baby names" "unusual baby names"

I like people names for pets. That is just my preference.

I can kind of understand your hesitance regarding the scrutiny you may get with a rescue. I fear I could get that too being a renter. The sad thing is though, when I owned a house for 7 years I couldn't even get a dog because of my nasty neighbors. They threw garbage in my yard and I feared they would harm a dog if I got one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

AshleyUndone wrote:
celyn wrote:

We looked into it, but the rescues require a fenced yard which we don't have. My dad's being careful as he can and the reject breeder list is growing almost as fast as our reject name list.

Or your local shelter with a high euthanization rate. Many of these places don't have terribly complicated application procedures , have lower fees than rescues and you could be saving an animal that is on "Death Row."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:48 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I don't want to be a downer in your thread, but there are no good breeders. Please reconsider!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:52 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

jordanpattern wrote:
I don't want to be a downer in your thread, but there are no good breeders. Please reconsider!

I agree, there must be a shelter or rescue close to you that will accept the fact that you do not have a fenced yard...although with a dog, you really should.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:10 pm 
Dildo Queen

Momo wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

I agree, there must be a shelter or rescue close to you that will accept the fact that you do not have a fenced yard...although with a dog, you really should.

this times a million

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:08 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I went through the same thing in high school. Our Golden Retriever, Molly (who was adopted from a shelter, it's possible!) passed away and my mom HAD to have another golden retriever and didn't have the patience to keep checking shelters. I begged, and begged just about every day for us to adopt. We tried to go through the rescue societies but our fence wasn't something-or-other-enough for them. Eventually we found an adorbz labrador mix at the SPCA, and guess what? BEST DOG EVER!!! Who gives a crepe what breed it is? He's the most slobbery, wonderful, pup ever and I am so glad we found him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yes, please, please reconsider your decision to get a dog through a breeder!

Though I do have to disagree with the statement that if you have a dog, you should have a fenced-in backyard. I'm sure that there are rescues who will still consider adopting a dog out to you if you don't have a fenced-in yard. I live in an apartment, but have two dogs (one's a Golden Retriever/Aussie mix!) and they do just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 pm 
protein lump

yeah, the idea of going to a breeder makes me really sad. please go to a shelter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

"Maddie" is a cute name. A coworker of mine has a golden named Maddie - it suits her well.

I also second the suggestion of looking on Petfinder vs. going to a breeder. Many many shelters use Petfinder these days to show what dogs they have available.

My dog Luna is a purebred American Eskimo. She wound up at the MSPCA (Boston) with her sire because her original owners must have grown bored of taking care of 2 unaltered adults and a group of puppies, or they simply got what they wanted from Luna and decided she had to go (she was definitely bred, and she's only 2 years old).

The story was that she and her sire were given to 'friends' who then got in trouble with their landlord for having dogs (anyone who has ever owned an eskie knows they're not "quiet" dogs). So, these "friends" surrendered them to the shelter.

I am not fond of "backyard breeders" (and don't even get me started on puppy mills) - yeah they might serve a market need, but dogs are not a commodity. Ask anyone who has worked in rescue, every rescue dog has a story (and there are a TON who end up in rescue because the breeders couldn't keep up their business, get in financial trouble, etc)

It's your choice, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that there ARE young, purebred dogs available on Petfinder, and if one rescue organization is on you about not having a fenced in yard, then either ask the rescue org to send over someone to do a homecheck where you can demonstrate that you fully understand the need to walk the dog daily, and if you can't do that, you have a dog walker who will do that for you, doggie daycare, etc.

Rescuers want to place their dogs into good homes and be as sure as they can they'll not be returned. They have the needs of the dogs in mind first, not of a potential adopter. So, show them that you would be a good famiy for a rescue dog.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:00 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

it doesn't seem like this is really your decision since you mentioned that it's your parents who are driving it. i hope you can offer up some of the breeder-alternative suggestions given in this thread and they will be receptive to them. if they were willing to look into a rescue enough to find out about the fenced yard issue, maybe they will be!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:59 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Pleeease talk to your parents about rescue versus breeder. Millions of dogs are killed each year in this country.

The local Humane society let me adopt while I lived in an apartment -- most kill shelters will let you adopt even if you don't have a fenced year -- the over-population problem is that huge.

Please, please, please talk to your parents. There are no good breeders.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:00 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Here is a list of adoptable female golden retrievers (and golden mixes) near Baltimore, from Petfinder!
YAY WONDERFUL DOGS.

Look at Layla!!!
Her application doesn't ask about a fenced yard, and she lives in DC.

There are also a few brand-new baby puppies available here, half-golden, half-lab, in Westminster, MD.

I think Ginger is a most excellent name for a golden or golden-ish ladydog.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:20 am 

Sounds like everyone has it covered. Just wanted to echo my concerns..
Please don't encourage your parents to "get" a "puppy" from a "breeder". Also, why does the dog have to be a specific gender and breed? We need a paradigm shift here people!

/2 cents

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm sorry that my earlier post wasn't very helpful. I know it can be really hard when you don't necessarily get much of a say in the decision, but I've found that parents almost always respect (and will often listen to) well-researched concerns coming from their kids. That means, AshleyUndone, that while you might not get to make the final decision whether to go with a breeder or adopting from a rescue, you can learn about the issue and inform your parents why buying a dog from a breeder is a bad idea.

A good place to start is the PETA website, which has some good fact sheets and write ups on buying vs. adopting pets: http://www.peta.org/issues/Companion-An ... Trade.aspx (you can find links to other articles and resources in the side bar). If I were you, I'd also call the rescue organizations in your area and tell them what your situation is (that your parents want to buy from a breeder rather than adopt because of the fence issue). They may be able to offer you some advice, or they may tell you they can work with your parents about the fence issue. I'm sure that most of them would rather find a loving home for one of their dogs, even if there's no fenced yard, than turn someone away and have them go to a breeder.

Nobody wants to dump on your or make you feel bad for a decision you can't control, but remember that this is a vegan message board, and buying a dog from a breeder is pretty inconsistent with what vegans believe in, for the most part. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I get really bummed out when I hear about people buying dogs from a breeder. It makes me sad that people are perpetuating a demand for purebred dogs rather than trying to look after the homeless animals that are already out there and in desperate need of help. Of course, it's not the dog's fault either way, and I'm sure you'll do what you can to make sure that wherever he or she comes from, they have a happy, loving home.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:04 pm 

Yeah me too. My earlier post was annoying and I'm just too negative in general, for that I apologize.

These are tricky issues dealing with our fundamental beliefs as humans, I sure appreciate you coming here to ask us for advice.

Good luck finding a new dog!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:20 pm 
WRETCHED

I know other people have said it as well but I'd look at a variety or rescues as there are quite a few goldens and golden mixes available in your area. Why do you think a rescue requires a fence? Have you ever asked them? I've talked to various rescues and they've never indicated a fence was required. Someone even told me once they prefer when people don't have fences because that usually means the dog gets more exercise by being walked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Wow, this exploded! I guess I should've expected that.
My parents have had bad experiences with rescue dogs in general. My mom got bitten by a rescued German Shepard as a kid and two of the rescue dogs on our street have hurt Casey. Two separate incidents, but then she feared all other dogs. No more doggie play dates...
So naturally I see where they are coming from, but obviously I know this side of the story as well. I've been checking out Petfinder using their zip code and I've thrown in some applications for K-9 Lifesavers (Nutmeg, Cinnamon and Layla- her picture is adorable!) and a few other dogs. The final decision is theirs, but I'm laying out some options.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

linanil wrote:
I know other people have said it as well but I'd look at a variety or rescues as there are quite a few goldens and golden mixes available in your area. Why do you think a rescue requires a fence? Have you ever asked them? I've talked to various rescues and they've never indicated a fence was required. Someone even told me once they prefer when people don't have fences because that usually means the dog gets more exercise by being walked.

Kathy Graningers Puppy Rescue seemed to want one. I wanted to stick more locally so my parents would be able to visit the dogs easier, but now I'm branching out.
My folks had an electric fence at one point, but our neighbors did something with our yard that broke it, so my dad found that doing sessions on a leash with ham and scolding could teach Casey what the boundaries of our yard were. He wants to use that technique this time around instead of getting any fence, physical or electric.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm 
WRETCHED

AshleyUndone wrote:
linanil wrote:

Kathy Graningers Puppy Rescue seemed to want one. I wanted to stick more locally so my parents would be able to visit the dogs easier, but now I'm branching out.
My folks had an electric fence at one point, but our neighbors did something with our yard that broke it, so my dad found that doing sessions on a leash with ham and scolding could teach Casey what the boundaries of our yard were. He wants to use that technique this time around instead of getting any fence, physical or electric.

The Southern Maryland Golden rescue application (not sure if that is one you looked at yet) asked if you had a fence and if not, how would the dog be exercised?

For us, we have a small fence but our dogs basically go outside to pee/poo. Exercise is via other means such as being walked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Another vote here for please please please not supporting a breeder!! There are so many wonderful dogs out there who need homes. I used to volunteer at the local animal shelter, and they really didn't do any kind of screening. The only thing they would do is not give an animals to someone who lived in a terrible neighborhood. I understand they want a puppy, but there are always puppies at local shelters as well. And, if the dog isn't a good fit you can always take him/her back and they don't ask any questions. Please reconsider! Tell your parents that you don't want a dog at all if it has to come from a breeder. Stand your ground!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rescue doesnt always mean rescued from abuse. many 'rescued' pets are trained, well adjusted pets who became homeless. spca may be a better bet than a rescue for a dog with no/few behavioral problems. they want their dogs in forever homes, so they wont lie about behaviors. dogs must pass a behavior test, and often the former owners fill out fact sheets about them. for example, mine said she had never been around children and may snap while her nails are being cut. it also said her owners went homeless. turns out, she is scared of kids and will bark at them, but could care less about the nails. a former roommate of mine adopted a one year old west highland terrier from the spca. the problem? wasnt really crate trained. solution? took about a week. so, dont suggest an abused dog to your parents that will require a lot of work and training. there are so many dogs surrendered every day that the perfect one for your familys needs is out there!