| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: JOYOUS EXCITEMENT: Getting a puppy! But baby names?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:04 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

There are lots of puppies at shelters and rescues as well, and very few of them have been subjected to abuse or neglect in their short lives, they mostly wind up there because they were strays or because an owner didn't spay/neuter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:43 am 
WRETCHED

Or their owners didn't know that dogs required things like walks and exercise. I have a beagle that I'm sure came from a breeder. Beagles are high energy dogs and people when they see them think 'oh how cute' but without daily exercise, cute can become very demanding :) And in this economy, people have been dumping dogs like crazy because they are getting foreclosed on and have to move and sometimes can't take their dogs/cats with them no matter how much they want to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My dog came from the Humane Society and she has zero, zero behavior problems. She is one of the best behaved dogs of all time and she came to us that way. Completely housebroken, won't get on the furniture without permission, won't go without two feet of a trashcan (even if we accidently throw one of her balls in there), great with babies/children, no food issues, etc. The dog my husband had when we met had papers and was from a breeder and basically acted like he was the human in charge of the house. Obviously training issues have a lot to do with that -- but the point is that adoption doesn't equal a rehab project and buying a dog doesn't equal a good dog.

Of course, I completely support taking on a dog that needs more help if you have the energy and resources to do so. My mother-in-law rescued a dog that was used for breeding at a puppy mill. She started out as the most fearful and sad dog ever and now she reaches new milestones constantly (like learning how to play at age six!).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, the other great thing about rescues is that they will often let you "try out" a dog or do home visits to make sure he or she is a good fit for your home. They generally want to make sure that any dog they adopt out will have a happy, loving, home, so they're usually willing to do a bit of extra work to see that happen. If you were to take a dog home to see how it goes, and it wasn't a good fit, you could take the dog back and try something else. Dog rescues are much better than breeders at recognizing that all dogs and all people are different, and sometimes, things just aren't a good fit, and it isn't anyone's fault. That way, if your mom had worries about behavior problems, she could see for herself how a particular dog is in her home. That might make her more comfortable. (Though you should remind her that breeder dogs are generally more likely to have all kinds of problems, health and otherwise.)

Also, I mentioned it before, but I really recommend calling some shelters or rescues in your area and telling them that your parents want to buy a dog from a breeder rather than adopt, and asking if they can give you any helpful information. Rescue and shelter organizations want to see people adopting rather than buying dogs, and they may have information that might be helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:36 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My dog came from the pound as a puppy, and he is the best dog ever. He is a pit bull mix, so maybe that is why he was given up? He has never bitten anyone, he is very obedient, and loves people (especially kids) and cats. I would say the only problem we have with him is he doesn't like other dogs much, unless they are female and/or smaller than him. He is seriously a way better dog than some of my friend's dogs who they paid thousands for. Not all rescues have issues, and you can tell the ones that do have issues by how they behave in the shelter usually.

I have friends who have bought dogs from breeders that have problems too so the notion that bred dogs are perfect is blatantly false.

linanil wrote:
Or their owners didn't know that dogs required things like walks and exercise. I have a beagle that I'm sure came from a breeder. Beagles are high energy dogs and people when they see them think 'oh how cute' but without daily exercise, cute can become very demanding :)

This used to drive me crazy when I volunteered at the shelter. This happened with a lot of large breed puppies, like boxers. People couldn't handle the fact that these dogs were hyper as shiitake, and also big as shiitake and they didn't know how to control them so they didn't get stomped! It's like HELLO, you got a huge forking PUPPY what did you expect??

Last edited by sunnybear on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

jordanpattern wrote:
(Though you should remind her that breeder dogs are generally more likely to have all kinds of problems, health and otherwise.)

This. Pure bred dogs have way more health problems and shorter life spans than mixed breed. Especially larger breeds, because they have a lot of orthopedic problems as well. Of course this isn't a reason to not get a pure bred dog from the shelter, but I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Our purebred dogs are total lemons.

Edit: Lemons that I would give my own life (and all of my money) for, but lemons nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, our shelter mutt is almost 9 and has boundless energy, is super smart, and has never had any serious health problems. Our purebred, bless his heart, is a walking disaster and dumb as rocks.

Ashley, I know that it's ultimately your parents' decision, but I hope you can use some of the info given in this thread to try to convince them to reconsider. There really is no reason to buy from a breeder, ever. Good luck!