| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New England: Thinking about adopting a second kitty
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

So. We have a wonderful Jack Russell/beagle mix, Lucy, who is the greatest, sweetest, most patient, kind, and even-tempered dog ever. We also have Cooper, a long-haired kitty with loads of energy and a lot of personality. We occasionally trade cat-sitting with a friend, whose kitty (Schatzi) is Cooper's BFF; whenever a visit ends, Cooper seems a bit dejected, and we've noticed him getting a bit more needy in terms of interaction - especially overnight, which is really not great when the alarm goes off at 6:15 five days a week. My partner commutes to his job several days a week, and I've been mostly home recently, but I'll be starting a PhD program in the fall, which means the cat will be on his own more (the dog goes to her friend's house when we're out for any longish period of time, so she's all set). We've been talking about getting a second kitty, which I'm sure would be fine with Lucy, but the issue is finding a good match for Mr. Cooper, because if we are going to adopt another animal, it has to be for keeps. This is where the PPK comes in! We live about 45 minutes from Boston, and I know there are people on the boards who volunteer at shelters, etc. in the area; Cooper came to us as a rescue (long story), so I've never gone "shopping" for a cat before, and any input/advice/recommendations/etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: New England: Thinking about adopting a second kitty
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Our first kitty Oliver came to us as a result of my mom fostering kittens for the Ellen Gifford Cat Shelter in Brighton. I didn't have any direct experience with them, but my mom really enjoyed working with them (she ended up adopting the other two kittens she was fostering).
http://members.petfinder.org/~MA44/index.htm
Oliver is one of the neediest cats I've ever met, so after a few months we needed to find him a buddy.
Oliver's bff Emu we adopted from the MSPCA's Boston Adoption Center.
http://www.mspca.org/adoption/adoptable-animals/
That was a positive experience for us, people were friendly and helpful, and we wanted to take home ten more cats.
They're currently lying happily together in a patch of sun (which means it's only a matter of time before they start chasing each other across the apartment).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 am 
Saggy Butt

You can also check out the Northeast Animal Shelter in Salem: http://www.northeastanimalshelter.org/

I haven't worked with them directly, but they sound like a great organization and I'm going to start volunteering there sometime this summer if all works out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:29 am 
Semen Strong

There are so many awesome cats out there, and Petfinder is such a great resource. You aren't close to Raspberry complaint's shelter are you (Milton Animal Shelter)?

Desdemona wrote:
but the issue is finding a good match for Mr. Cooper, because if we are going to adopt another animal, it has to be for keeps.

I think this might be putting a ton of unnecessary pressure on you to make sure your cats are 100% compatible before you take the second cat home. And there are definitely things you can do - take Mr. Cooper to meet the prospective kitty and spend some time letting them acclimate. And let the shelter guide you. But even with all the due diligence in the world, you can't guarantee that your animals are going to be besties.

Most shelters/rescues will let you take a cat back that isn't a good fit for you. So if you see one who seems to get along with Mr. Cooper, take him/her for a home visit and spend some time introducing them - separate rooms, letting them sniff eachother under the door etc. That worked really well for us. But if it doesn't end up working out, that isn't the end of the world in my view - you would then keep looking until you find Mr. Cooper's Furever Friend.

Good luck and YAY for adopting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:07 am 
WELFARIST!

How awesome, Des! I don't have a lot of advice since I think you've already gotten some wonderful advice here. I also believe that the two cats don't necessarily have to be besties for any new union to be a success, I just feel that if they can co-exist peacefully and in relative happiness in a safe and comfortable home, that is always an excellent compromise. My two present kitties get along well but I have merged cats who didn't seem to particularly like each much in the past, however, they did reach a companiable truce of co-existing by basically ignoring each other in their day to day existence and still remaining happy in their own individual ways which everyone could live with and I just made sure they got their usual generous measure of love and attention from me individually. Expect an adjustment period between them, in any case. Good luck with your new addition! <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I recommend Paws Wakefield!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:41 pm 
ugh

celyn wrote:
I recommend Paws Wakefield!

Me, too!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman