| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camelot Horse Weekly
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello, I've been a reader of the PPK forums (as well as Isa's delicious cookbooks) for some time. I have cats and dogs, but no horses, although I love them. I thought some members of this board might be interested in the work of the women of the Camelot Horse Weekly (CHW):

http://www.facebook.com/CamelotHorseWeekly

http://www.nj-feedlot-horse-rescue.com/home.html

Each week, these volunteers, one of whom is a professional photographer, attend the Wednesday night Camelot, New Jersey, auction. They take photos and post information on horses which go into the #10 pen, the feedlot. Horses in the feedlot can be adopted by individuals or rescue groups; the next step for those not adopted is most likely a truck bound to Canada or Mexico for slaughter since we no longer slaughter horses in the United States. CHW has from Wednesday night until Saturday noon to find adopters for the various horses, ponies, and donkeys.

Week after week, for 14 months now, the women of CHW have cleared the feedlot pen by Saturday, finding homes with private parties and rescue organizations through online networking. This week, 71 horses went through the auction. 31 horses were purchased at the auction, which means 40 went to the feedlot. About 10 of those feedlot horses have found homes, but 30 more have until about noon tomorrow to find homes or rescue situations.

If you know of any horse lovers who might be interested in adopting a horse or donating to a rescue organization that might be able to take in one of these horses, please share this information.

Obviously, there are hundreds of horses in similar situations across the country which need and deserve rescuing, but without a concerted effort, it is not possible to save them. The women of CHW make this effort week after week and have saved well over a thousand horses as a result.

Each week, I am uplifted when I see the notice that the pen has been cleared and all of the horses have been saved. This week, I am afraid that for the first time in months, the pen will not be cleared and that the lives of some of these beautiful horses will end in unspeakable tragedy.

Thanks for reading. I hope you will take look at CHW and share it with anyone you know who might be interested in helping.