| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitty Integration - Help!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I adopted a kitty 2 months ago from my sister, and brought home her littermate today. They are not getting along at all right now, hissing at each other. They got along just fine as kitties in the litter, so I'm not sure if it's the new environment or what. I cant really separate them as I'm in a studio with one big room. I did try putting the new kitty in the bathroom and closing the door, but she immediately started meowing. Any ideas as to what I can do? I have to work in the AM and will have to leave them alone all day by themselves. How long do I give it before I decide they're not compatible?

Post subject: Re: Kitty Integration - Help!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm in no way a kitty expert, but I do know that it usually takes time for cats to adjust when you bring a new one into your home. Even though these two kitties are litter mates they have been separated for two months and it might just take a little time for them to readjust to each other - and for the one you've had to readjust to sharing his/her space. I know it can be super stressful having two cats that do not get along, but I wouldn't give up yet!! If you're going to be out, I might try leaving one in the bathroom. Sometimes this can help them get to know each other in a safer way, plus if you're out the meowing won't bother you! I think it's actually pretty unusual for this type of behavior not to occur when you bring in a new cat, so I wouldn't get too discouraged yet!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:31 am 

Thanks for your help. It's been 8 hours and they're still hissing at each other. they're both over the top with being affectionate to me, that's what's so weird. Everyone I talked to said they'd get along fine since they were in the same litter, that's why I'm so surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:40 am 
Semen Strong

Generally you want to introduce two cats slowly, so if you can, keep them separated, even if the new cat is in the bathroom while you are out, and let them sniff each other under the door and perhaps put a towel in with each so they can get used to each other's smells. Definitely keep working at it for at least a week or two.

As far as affection from you, kitties fight over resources and your affection is a resource. Make sure to give it out evenly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:23 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

ScooterDiva wrote:
Thanks for your help. It's been 8 hours and they're still hissing at each other. they're both over the top with being affectionate to me, that's what's so weird. Everyone I talked to said they'd get along fine since they were in the same litter, that's why I'm so surprised.

Two of my cats are siblings, were never separated, and the sister cannot stand the brother 90% of the time. And then she and my older cat also hate eachother! They are both cranky old ladies who prefer to be alone, though, so don't get scared that your cats will hate eachother forever. When I first brought my dog home all of the cats hated him, and now Gozer totally naps with him.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It has generally taken months for our cats to really warm up to each other, though the wild hissing stopped before that. But it has been worth the work, they are tightly bonded now and sleep in giant cuddle puddles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 pm 

Well I now have one kitty on my lap and one at my feet, and while they won't touch each other with a ten-foot pole, they both seem content in their "spots" right now...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm 
<3

This question is in no way being judgmental, but why were the two not adopted the same time? I'm just wondering.

They obviously have no memory of each other. I introduced a 7 week old to a 51/2 year old. Never great friends but older kitty accepted the new arrival after much hissing and swatting. This takes time. I've heard cats taking months to finally get a long. It's too bad you can't separate when you are not at home. That's what I did for about 2 months.

I know it's hard but usually calm, acceptance and hopefully friendship reigns.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

as long as the annoyance is mutual and one isn't picking on the other, i think it'll be fine. cats are pretty good at avoiding conflict.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:42 pm 
Semen Strong

ScooterDiva wrote:
Well I now have one kitty on my lap and one at my feet, and while they won't touch each other with a ten-foot pole, they both seem content in their "spots" right now...

Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 pm 

Teresa wrote:
This question is in no way being judgmental, but why were the two not adopted the same time? I'm just wondering.

They obviously have no memory of each other. I introduced a 7 week old to a 51/2 year old. Never great friends but older kitty accepted the new arrival after much hissing and swatting. This takes time. I've heard cats taking months to finally get a long. It's too bad you can't separate when you are not at home. That's what I did for about 2 months.

No worries, no judgement felt...my sister took in a stray, didn't know she was pregnant...I told her I would take two from the litter. She lives in PA, I'm out west, so I had to fly out and back...none of the airlines I contacted would let me fly with 2 separate carriers or 2 kittens in one carrier, so I had to make to separate trips. I would have liked the interval between the trips to have been less than 2 months, but it just didn't work out.

I did separate them when I left earlier, and now the animosity seems worse....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:28 pm 

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
as long as the annoyance is mutual and one isn't picking on the other, i think it'll be fine. cats are pretty good at avoiding conflict.

Definitely mutual annoyance...let's just say they're far from being BFFs :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 pm 

Invictus wrote:
It has generally taken months for our cats to really warm up to each other, though the wild hissing stopped before that. But it has been worth the work, they are tightly bonded now and sleep in giant cuddle puddles.

It's good to know there may be some hope in the future!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

oh, i think another thing that would be helpful is giving them lots of sitting and napping spots since you live in a studio. boxes, shelves, pet beds, pillows, etc. they'll have places to hide away from each other and won't have to fight over who gets to lounge where.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:57 pm 
<3

ScooterDiva wrote:
Teresa wrote:

No worries, no judgement felt...my sister took in a stray, didn't know she was pregnant...I told her I would take two from the litter. She lives in PA, I'm out west, so I had to fly out and back...none of the airlines I contacted would let me fly with 2 separate carriers or 2 kittens in one carrier, so I had to make to separate trips. I would have liked the interval between the trips to have been less than 2 months, but it just didn't work out.

I did separate them when I left earlier, and now the animosity seems worse....

I flew two cats at the same time. How strange they wouldn't let you. What I worry though. I hope to never do it again. I do hope they start getting along soon. There seems to be a lot of hope from others posting. It does take time.