| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Animal Behavior Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:55 am 
Bends forks with mind powers

Post your questions about your animal friend's behavior here, and people with knowledge about animal behavior can answer questions or provide resources.

I'll go first! I moved my cat Wesley's food bowl to a different room 2-3 months ago. It took him about a week to get used to it, and he's been eating in the new room ever since. For the past week or two, when I come 'round with his can of food, he runs into the old room and rolls around in his usual "yay, it's time to eat!" way. I've been ignoring that, going into the new room, and putting his food in his bowl. Even when his food is there for him to eat, he lingers in the old room. Most of the time I have to pick him up and take him to the new room. Then, when he sees the food, he eats.

My thoughts:

1. He somehow got confused. I don't know if this happens to cats. Or,
2. He's rejecting the new room. I don't know why he would do this after so long.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: The Animal Behavior Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know. Maybe he got bored with the new room and realized he preferred the old one.

My cats (Neko is 2 1/2 years old; Kaylee is about 6 months old) had a phase in September and at the beginning of October where they would poop in the bathtub instead of their litter box. My theory was that when the litter box got too full for their taste or whenever one of the cats did some stinkier business than usual, it would gross them out, and they'd just switch to the clean and nice-smelling bathtub. It was kind of considerate of them to use the bathtub rather than, say, the couple of unvarnished wooden floorboards in the bedroom, but still, it was gross and annoying. So we got a second litter box (which I'm told you should always do, even if the second cat is still really little) and filled it with the best (darn expensive) smell-absorbing kitty litter. They were enthusiastic. Wow, something new! *dig dig dig* And they haven't been in the bathtub since. (*knocks on wood*)
I thought I'd share this in case anyone ever experiences something similar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:43 am 
ugh

One of my recently adopted cats is peeing on everything. I have 3 cats (all adopted together) and 3 litter boxes using Feline Pine. I've got to put a fourth box somewhere and hope it helps, and my boyfriend wants to put clay litter in it just in case she doesn't like the pine litter, even though this is what she used at the foster home. :(

Part of it may be that her urine is very concentrated, which the vet says may be uncomfortable. How can we convince her to drink more water? Are there any options other than buying one of those fountains? We've started feeding wet food in addition to the dry but she won't eat it, at least not yet.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:53 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

b.vicious wrote:
One of my recently adopted cats is peeing on everything. I have 3 cats (all adopted together) and 3 litter boxes using Feline Pine. I've got to put a fourth box somewhere and hope it helps, and my boyfriend wants to put clay litter in it just in case she doesn't like the pine litter, even though this is what she used at the foster home. :(

Part of it may be that her urine is very concentrated, which the vet says may be uncomfortable. How can we convince her to drink more water? Are there any options other than buying one of those fountains? We've started feeding wet food in addition to the dry but she won't eat it, at least not yet.

My cat won't eat canned food, but she would eat moistened dry food. When I feed her, I put enough water in the bowl so the food floats a little (about 1/4-1/2 cup water) and she drinks/eats it all. Doing this twice a day gives her enough water. She does pee more but it's never uncomfortable (that I can tell) and she always uses the litter box and it has much less of an odor.

Before I started doing this, she got a kitty UTI and was peeing all over and there was some blood in it too. She always looked very uncomfortable when peeing and it would be very yellow. Since I started wetting her dry food, she's been all good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:07 pm 
ugh

Kinney wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

My cat won't eat canned food, but she would eat moistened dry food. When I feed her, I put enough water in the bowl so the food floats a little (about 1/4-1/2 cup water) and she drinks/eats it all. Doing this twice a day gives her enough water. She does pee more but it's never uncomfortable (that I can tell) and she always uses the litter box and it has much less of an odor.

Before I started doing this, she got a kitty UTI and was peeing all over and there was some blood in it too. She always looked very uncomfortable when peeing and it would be very yellow. Since I started wetting her dry food, she's been all good.

Thanks, I'll try that!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

b.vicious wrote:

Also I have never used this but have heard really good things about Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Attract Cat Litter http://www.preciouscat.com/our-products-c-1.html. It IS a clay based litter which some people would prefer not to use - and it is a little more expensive but I have heard that it really does work unless there is a medical problem.

I think the Pine Litter might be better for the cat but if she isn't using it you might want to give this a try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Kinney wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

Desmond had undiagnosable bloody urine problems when I first got him. What's worked to get him to drink more water is to replace his water bowl with a water glass (the same kind we drink out of). For whatever reason, he loves water from glasses. And now he doesn't try to drink our water either.

It also helps to have water in several places so there's always one nearby.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Another non clay litter to try is Yesterdays News. It's a little harder to find but my cats seem to like it.

I foster puppies for one of the local animal rescues and I am having some difficulties with my new fellow (male, neutered, 9 wks, lab/rottie mix). He marks on everything! It's funny because he doesn't really pee very often when we are out for walks but if I set anything down for more than a minute or two in the house or yard he pees on it! I have two cats and a 5 month old male lab mix as well. I wonder if he is just trying to make himself more present in the home or something? And how do I fix this? It is most certainly something I need to work on to improve his chances of a good home!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:24 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

mollyjade wrote:
Kinney wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

Desmond had undiagnosable bloody urine problems when I first got him. What's worked to get him to drink more water is to replace his water bowl with a water glass (the same kind we drink out of). For whatever reason, he loves water from glasses. And now he doesn't try to drink our water either.

It also helps to have water in several places so there's always one nearby.

One of my cats also loves drinking out of human glasses. He cannot be left near a glass unattended, otherwise he'll stick his face in it and often knock it over in the process. The bozo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:24 am 
ugh

The cats are eating the dry food soaked in water! I hope this will help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

b.vicious wrote:
The cats are eating the dry food soaked in water! I hope this will help.

Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly adores my dad so she bites him all the time. He will now have nothing to do with her so sits and stares at him, making little whiney sounds. Why will she not realize that he adores her and will let her snuggle all day as long as she is not inflicting grievous bodily harm upon him?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:33 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Our recently adopted cat, Rhubarb, refuses to poop in the litter box. She pooped in it for about a month after we adopted her, then she suddenly switched to the floor. Right next to the litter box. It doesn't matter if the box is clean, she still won't poop in it. And from what I've observed, pooping doesn't seem to hurt for her, so I don't know what the deal is. Rage pooping?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:19 pm 
WRETCHED

One of my dogs is a poop eater. It started one winter when he decided frozen poop was the greatest thing ever. We would stop him when we caught him. Lately, he has decided that he likes it 'fresh' so will run to our other dog when she is pooping. I'm at the point now that I have to bring him inside to let my other dog poop. Help?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kate wrote:
Our recently adopted cat, Rhubarb, refuses to poop in the litter box. She pooped in it for about a month after we adopted her, then she suddenly switched to the floor. Right next to the litter box. It doesn't matter if the box is clean, she still won't poop in it. And from what I've observed, pooping doesn't seem to hurt for her, so I don't know what the deal is. Rage pooping?

Have you tried moving the box to a new location? I used to have a cat that would do this but when we moved the box, he seemed to remember he was supposed to actually go INSIDE the box. Then maybe a year later he would seem to get confused again and start going on the floor, so we'd move the box again. Etc., etc., etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:16 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

linanil wrote:
One of my dogs is a poop eater. It started one winter when he decided frozen poop was the greatest thing ever. We would stop him when we caught him. Lately, he has decided that he likes it 'fresh' so will run to our other dog when she is pooping. I'm at the point now that I have to bring him inside to let my other dog poop. Help?

Feeding them pineapple is supposed to make the poop distasteful to them.

Eeeww!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:34 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Kate wrote:

are you sure that she isn't standing in the box and pooping over the side? i had a cat who liked to get right up against the edge for some reason, and sometimes some of it would plop out. a closed box fixed most of our problems.

in my living room the furniture, from left to right, goes couch-->end table-->armchair. my cat likes to sleep in the chair, and she used to walk across the table to get back and forth to me when i was sitting on the couch. but when i got a new computer i had to set it up on the table because there was no other place for it, so now she'll stand on the edge of the chair and meow at me until i stick my leg out for her to use as a bridge. under no circumstances will she get down onto the floor, walk over to the couch, and jump up. leg bridge only. this would be fine if she were only making the trip once, but she seems to need to go back and forth 1800 times before she finally goes back to sleep on the chair where she started.

she likes glasses, too. i always keep her own water dish full, but i also have to maintain three glasses of water in strategic locations around the apartment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fezza wrote:
linanil wrote:

Eeeww!

Yeah, I've heard that feeding dogs pineapple makes their poop taste bad too. You'd think that just the fact that it was poop would stop them from eating it, but I guess not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:19 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

birdsonawire wrote:
fezza wrote:
linanil wrote:

Eeeww!

Yeah, I've heard that feeding dogs pineapple makes their poop taste bad too. You'd think that just the fact that it was poop would stop them from eating it, but I guess not.

They're designed to eat their own poop & vomit to keep them alive during times of famine. They particularly like carnivore poop because it passes though the shorter intestine quicker, so still smells like food, and it's higher in protein. If their food passes though them too quickly it'll still smell like food too, rather than poop. So poop eating dogs should be checked for food sensitivities.

Yup, Poppy went though a poop eating phase when she was an ickle pup so I had to read up on it to get it stopped. If you don't stop it quick enough it becomes a habit and much harder to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 am 
Huffs Nooch

Quote:
I foster puppies for one of the local animal rescues and I am having some difficulties with my new fellow (male, neutered, 9 wks, lab/rottie mix). He marks on everything! It's funny because he doesn't really pee very often when we are out for walks but if I set anything down for more than a minute or two in the house or yard he pees on it! I have two cats and a 5 month old male lab mix as well. I wonder if he is just trying to make himself more present in the home or something? And how do I fix this? It is most certainly something I need to work on to improve his chances of a good home!

Have you heard of belly bands? You should look that up. I don't know how well it would work for him, I'm still only about to try it myself, but it's worth looking into. By blocking the pee from getting on things he's trying to aim for he may end up giving up on it, and if he doesn't, at least it's not getting on everything. Other than that, lots of correction when you catch him in the act, watching for when he's looking for a spot and distract him, puppy pads?, lots of positive reinforcement when he does go outside, an enzyme cleaner or vinegar to clean where he's peed before so he doesn't smell the urine still there.

Good luck. Potty training issues are no fun at all, but can be worked through and managed.

p.s. You are so awesome for fostering!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:07 am 
Bends forks with mind powers

fezza wrote:

They're designed to eat their own poop & vomit to keep them alive during times of famine. They particularly like carnivore poop because it passes though the shorter intestine quicker, so still smells like food, and it's higher in protein. If their food passes though them too quickly it'll still smell like food too, rather than poop. So poop eating dogs should be checked for food sensitivities.

Wow, news to me. I googled "dogs eat poop" and got this: 20 Reasons Why Dogs Eat Poop
I don't know how reliable the source is. I would have never considered any of those reasons besides boredom/learned behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

acr wrote:
Kate wrote:

are you sure that she isn't standing in the box and pooping over the side? i had a cat who liked to get right up against the edge for some reason, and sometimes some of it would plop out. a closed box fixed most of our problems.

I thought that was the problem at first, but I've since seen her do it, right in the middle of the room. She stares right at me as she does it, the little monster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:20 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I would try a different brand of litter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sarbear wrote:
Quote:

Have you heard of belly bands? You should look that up. I don't know how well it would work for him, I'm still only about to try it myself, but it's worth looking into. By blocking the pee from getting on things he's trying to aim for he may end up giving up on it, and if he doesn't, at least it's not getting on everything. Other than that, lots of correction when you catch him in the act, watching for when he's looking for a spot and distract him, puppy pads?, lots of positive reinforcement when he does go outside, an enzyme cleaner or vinegar to clean where he's peed before so he doesn't smell the urine still there.

Good luck. Potty training issues are no fun at all, but can be worked through and managed.

p.s. You are so awesome for fostering!

I would also try a belly band. If he can't mark then he may loose intrest, esp sinnce he is a puppy. Plus it will keep your house cleaner. Also if you aren't catching him doing it, you can try putting a leash on him in the house and attaching it to your belt so that he is always in your sight and when he starts to lift his leg you can correct him then and there because correcting him afterwards does nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:39 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

linanil wrote:

Sounds to me like your other dog, the non poop eating one, is passing food that is not fully digested. So your poop eating dog knows there is food still in it. I would suggest looking into the food you are feeding them. I would suggest there be 0 corn in it, and also, try going vegan for them if they are not already? Lots of the common problem grains for humans are problems for dogs too, maybe no more wheat as well.