Normal pet food 41%  41%  [ 46 ]
Organic pet food (that contains organic meat) 32%  32%  [ 36 ]
Vegan pet food 18%  18%  [ 20 ]
Vegetarian pet food 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Home cooked food (no meat) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Home cooked food (meat) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
I don't have a pet 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 111
 Post subject: Re: What do you feed your doggy or kitty?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I believe in feeding cats all kibble since it is hard to get them to clean their teeth any other way (dogs you can at least give a rawhide or toy to). Orijin is my favourite kibble food, they use really high quality ingredients and balance the fat/protein/carbs correctly, but are rather expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have read that about kibble, ExpiredSanity -- it's frustrating because there's so much that says oh, if you feed your cats kibble you'll give them diabetes, but then other information that says that good-quality kibble is good for their teeth, etc. I just want to do the best I can for them, but I gotta eat too.

I will look at Orijen, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:22 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've fed all three of my cats all kibble diets and none of them have developed diabetes. One died in a cougar attack, the other lived to the old age of 15 when she had a stroke, and the third is still with us going strong and shedding with great vigour. I think it depends on the type of kibble and if you stay away from supermarket brands (purina, iams, etc...) you shouldn't have a problem. Also you can give your vet's office a call, normally they can recommend a brand over the phone and won't charge you anything for the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Frisbee gets a can of Wellness or Newman's Own canned food every day and has a little bowl of Wellness kibble to free feed. I would love it if he ate canned food only, but he seems to like the kibble more than the canned. He gets this stuff now because I can get it at work with my discount.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I feed Steve Natural Balance's Alpha Cat dry food (the trout, salmon, and whitefish blend). It's a moderate protein, grain-free formula and Steve (the cat) hoovers it down every day, plus his fur is really shiny and soft. I can't stomach the smell of most canned cat foods, so I bought him a Drinkwell fountain so he has running water all the time. Since we set up the fountain, he's drinking about 3x-4x as much water as he used to from his bowl (and the toilet). Hopefully that will help balance out the potential problems of a diet that contains only dry food.

I really wanted to like the Halo brand food, but Steve absolutely hated it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:56 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

For people feeding home cooked meals - how do you make sure your kitty/puppy is getting all the nutrients they need?

Right now I am just feeding the kitty and puppies on regular dry food but I am interested in feeding the doggies a vegan diet and making sure the kitty got a healthy diet with meat that came from somewhere local and (while I have no illusions about "happy meat") somewhere I knew the animals were getting the best possible treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

our 3 cats eat Spot's Stew turkey formula for senstive stomachs.

i cook our pup's food as she's allergic to soy, gluten, corn, and quinoa. she gets 1-1/4 cup of chicken + 1/3 a cup of brown rice + 1/4 cup of smashed pinto & kidney beans + 1/3 cup pureed veggies (usually sweet potato, carrots, broccoli, peas and spinach blended in the food processor) + 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin - twice a day. we're slowly decreasing the chicken and increasing the smashed beans (i want to try her with some lentils soon, too - and she does love chickpeas.).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:47 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I feed my cats grain-free canned in the morning and raw at night. I rotate the canned between different flavors of Evo, Wellness, and Merrick Before Grain. The raw they usually get is Primal Chicken, or occasionally Rad Cat turkey or chicken but not often since that stuff is so pricey. :/

terri_to wrote:
I have read that about kibble, ExpiredSanity -- it's frustrating because there's so much that says oh, if you feed your cats kibble you'll give them diabetes, but then other information that says that good-quality kibble is good for their teeth, etc. I just want to do the best I can for them, but I gotta eat too.

I will look at Orijen, thanks!

I'm hearing from more and more vets these days (including my own) that the teeth-cleaning benefit of kibble is pretty minimal. Not all cats even chew their food, and those that do basically shatter the kibble on impact, which doesn't really scrape off plaque. It'd be like trying to brush your own teeth with crackers. There are some dental kibbles that are specifically designed to help clean teeth that my vet says do actually help, but the ingredients in them are usually sub-standard enough that it's not really worth it. One of my cats can't even eat dry food (too many carbs give her the runs) and the problems with it outweigh the minimal dental benefits IMO.

One thing you could try though is jerky treats! As in the ones made for dogs. They're tougher than typical soft cat treats meaning they have to chew on them for a while and usually come in various varieties like chicken or duck. Ideally you want one that contains nothing else but just meat and no additives, artificial colorings, etc. Try to get a brand that's made in the US if you can: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/New ... 280586.htm Also don't feed a ton of them, my vet warned too many can cause stomach upset. I usually just feed them one a day (or half each if they're very large strips).

It's so weird to me that cat treat manufacturers don't usually bother making chew treats/toys for cats. There are dozens of products out there for dogs but they seem to forget that cats like and need to chew sometimes too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:01 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Kibble may not "clean" the teeth but it also doesn't stick to the teeth the way wet food does.

My boys were on dry food (rice & meat based) most of their lives and lived to 15 and nearly 19, with no diabetes and both passed away with all their own teeth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:22 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

fezza wrote:
Kibble may not "clean" the teeth but it also doesn't stick to the teeth the way wet food does.

My boys were on dry food (rice & meat based) most of their lives and lived to 15 and nearly 19, with no diabetes and both passed away with all their own teeth.

Fair point. And with both teeth and things like diabetes, genetics play a role too. Some cats can eat grain-filled food and never have issues. Some cats will get regular teeth cleanings and still end up with dental problems unfortunately.

I've just chosen to avoid kibble with my cats because one has already shown she has problems with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:01 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

What dog food options are there in Europe?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

We make our pup vegan dog food at home. She's a pug mix, so we don't have to make too much food. We usually make a huge batch and freeze it for the month. She loves it and since we've switched her to the diet her breath and intestinal health has improved.

Its really simple to make. Yeah its a bit more kitchen time, but we feel we are giving her the most optimally nutritious food so she can have a long healthy life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

fezza wrote:

I giggled because "all their own teeth" seems to imply that some dogs get dentures or something. Which is a great visual.

Anyhow, we have 2 50 lb dogs. They get regular kibble. But they get lots of baby carrots in lieu of biscuits to keep the weight down - they love them :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:54 am 
protein lump

the cats split a teeny can of the natural balance wet food in the morning and then eat natural balance reduced calorie dry for the rest of the day. jack has always had a really nice coat. before we got him, ab was eating some kind of supermarket brand and she was super sheddy and dandery and stuff. since she's been eating natural balance, her coat is beautiful and she doesn't really shed all that much.
they eat the reduced calorie food because jack needs to lose about a pound and his vet told me to feed them a 1/4c of food per day. have you ever seen a 1/4 of cat food? it's pathetic and if i tried to feed them that little, they would kill me and eat me in protest. so we're doing the reduced calorie and they get 1/2 c each plus whatever the wet food amounts to - it's 1 1/2 oz. each, so a tablespoon or so. jack actually has his wellness visit in a week, so i'll be able to see if he lost that pound. they also both get a few treats every day when the dog eats her dinner. jack gets greenies and ab gets some no name brand that she really loves. as long as she's eating mostly healthy stuff, i don't mind giving her something crappy that she loves once a day.

we've only had the dog for about 4 weeks. she came to us eating nothing but iams. which is annoying on so many levels. i tried switching her and she refused to eat, so i figured i would let her settle into our home and routine before i tried switching again. so currently, she gets half iams/half natural balance vegan dry food with merrick wet food mixed in. so far, she hasn't minded the natural balance. i got some of the nb veg wet food this week, so hopefully she'll like that as well. i'd like this bag of iams i have now to be her last. for treats... she's picky. she doesn't like crunchy stuff like regular dog bones, so she's been getting the merrick sausagey things and the greenies toothbrushes. both are hard, but they have a bit of give - they're not dry and crunchy. her pickiness makes it hard to find vegan treats for her, but i plan on trying to make some things for her to see what she thinks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Merrick Before Grain for the cats. Fromm grain-free or Merrick Before Grain for the dog. I prefer the B.G. to Fromm, but it's harder to find for dogs than cats, for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just feed my cat regular cat food. I would love to switch him to a vegan or even vegetarian cat food but we're just not financially able to at this point. :-/ Maybe later on we'll be able to though.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My dog has been vegan for almost 9 years now, and eats a combination of homemade vegan dog food & treats, commercial vegan dog food & treats, and portions of my own meals... pretty much whatever she wants, as long as it isn't bad for dogs!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My cat eats a mixture of Wellness kibble and canned food. She will grudgingly eat just kibble, but complains loudly if I only give her canned food. I guess she likes the combination of the two mixed together.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 am 
Saggy Butt

My cat gets Acana kibble (applaws at the moment because it was on offer in the pet shop) and Schmusy wet (the only vaguely ok quality one he will eat). For snacks I give him dried jerky like tuna/chicken treats which take some serious chewing so hopefully help with his teeth.
I would never ever consider a vegan or vegetarian diet for my cat. They are classified as "obligate carnivores" for a reason. If I get a dog then sure I will.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 am 
Naked Under Apron

I feed my cat a raw diet. I found this great cat food online that is even PETA approved for cats. I'm not a big fan of PETA, but I do take their food advice for people and animals. My cat loves it and her coat is ridiculously soft and shiny. She is a little energetic fireball, too. When I first adopted her, the vet scared me into using Science Diet kitten food, but after some research, I found that the raw diet was so much better, and I gradually switched her over. She has never looked better.

ETA: The Raw food is only $8 american for a tub that lasts for about 2 weeks. I supplement it with Core Wellness Cat and Kitten kibble.

Writing Praying Vegan