Normal pet food 41%  41%  [ 46 ]
Organic pet food (that contains organic meat) 32%  32%  [ 36 ]
Vegan pet food 18%  18%  [ 20 ]
Vegetarian pet food 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Home cooked food (no meat) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Home cooked food (meat) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
I don't have a pet 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 111
 Post subject: Re: What do you feed your doggy or kitty?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've had this huge bag of organic meaty dog food that I bought out of desparation one evening when we were pressed for food. It does contain animal products (fish, I think), but I've been mixing it with vegan wet dog food and home cooked food (grains, veggies, etc.), so it's lasted for a while. I've never fed my dogs 100% vegan for an extended period of time, but the majority of their diet is vegan. However, sometimes I don't plan far enough ahead and I'm left buying dog kibble, albeit organic, hence my current situation. I like incorporating as much homemade food into their diet as I can.

I also use this really awesome probioctic stuff called Green Mush and the dogs go nuts over it! It's full of organic, whole food green plant matter and smells like green tea!

ETA: In agreement with MBM, this should be a multichoice poll.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i only could choose one option, so i chose for my dog... she eats vegan kibble. she currently eats evolution most of the time, and ami on occasion. she doesn't like natural balance at all, which is a huge bummer because it's less expensive and much easier for me to get. sigh.

our cats eat wellness kibble, and we're weaning them onto a bit of canned as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:30 pm 
Dead by dawn

Amos eats Natural Balance vegan kibble, veggies, chickpeas, tofu*, and a bit of fruit. He's doing really well on vegan food, but he's not totally vegan. I won't bring non-vegan stuff into the house, but I don't care if he gets the odd meaty treat out there in the world.

*This dog seriously LOVES plain, uncooked tofu. I have to watch my fingers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I feed my dogs "normal pet food" but a very high quality one (not organic or vegan.)

I tried various vegan kibble and they did awful on them so I do what is best for them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My dog is on vet food because of her emo tummy. I tried to switch her to NB last summer but she didn't go for it at all. I would like to try switching it again at some point but I need to find whatever is the next best thing that will keep her "solid".

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I feed my cats Weruva brand canned food and Wellness core dry food. It's good quality food and I want to keep them on grain free food but it gets so expensive sometimes. I wish I could find a good grain free food that was cheaper but they turn their noses up at all the other brands I've tried. I'm going to trying feeding them chicken with a vitamin powder mixed in. I've tried it in the past and they loved it but the vitamin mix was just a sample pack and I haven't ordered the full size one yet.

Does anyone else feed grain free for their cats? Which brand do you use?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Biodancer wrote:
I feed my cats Weruva brand canned food and Wellness core dry food. It's good quality food and I want to keep them on grain free food but it gets so expensive sometimes. I wish I could find a good grain free food that was cheaper but they turn their noses up at all the other brands I've tried. I'm going to trying feeding them chicken with a vitamin powder mixed in. I've tried it in the past and they loved it but the vitamin mix was just a sample pack and I haven't ordered the full size one yet.

Does anyone else feed grain free for their cats? Which brand do you use?

I feed my cat Orijen 6 fish, which is grain free and about $23 a bag. She also gets Tiki Cat wet food--only the grain free varieties.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:06 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

We use a combo of some homemade goodies like sweet potatoes and green beans with commercial foods that are organic but have meat (Blue Buffalo and Natural Balance mostly). I tried to go veg with the dogs but they are both Boston Terriers and they have a tendency to have tummy troubles. I couldn't make any homemade food that had grains or potatoes. They do fine with sweet taters, veggies and fruit but for some reason cannot digest grains and beans (no matter how much I puree them). So frustrating, because I would love them to be veg but their little bellies are rebellious. I do keep trying though and whenever I see a new veg dog food I test it out on them to see if they can digest it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

My cats get Kirkland food from Costco, which is surprisingly high quality food for dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

i feed my big pup v-dog. i really wanted to feed her natural balance because the ingredients seemed healthier but while she liked it she had awful farts constantly and diarrhea. she loves her food now but we have to give her extra enzymes and probiotics otherwise she gets all foamy mouthed. she also loves veggies and fruit, sometimes gets extra stuff from our dinner, and eats meaty treats our neighbors give her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:45 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

The kittehs get this vet formula for cats who have had urinary blockages:
http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/eng/ ... ry-S-O-Dry
Gershwin is the one who had the blockage, but the vet thinks its good for Tristan too since he's a male cat and they get crystals so easily.

They also get canned meaty wet food, every day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

tenderoni wrote:
i feed my big pup v-dog. i really wanted to feed her natural balance because the ingredients seemed healthier but while she liked it she had awful farts constantly and diarrhea. she loves her food now but we have to give her extra enzymes and probiotics otherwise she gets all foamy mouthed. she also loves veggies and fruit, sometimes gets extra stuff from our dinner, and eats meaty treats our neighbors give her.

yes! when maia was on v-dog, she seemed to like it (she gets bored with food SOOOOOO easily, it's really frustrating), but she threw up every. single. day. and it was just bile, so i don't know if it was that it wasn't filling her up enough to last until the next meal, or...? so, we switched back to evolution.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Our lab eats Acana Pacifica kibble and our senior pomeranian eats Ziwipeak canned (easier on her tummy). Both are grain-free and high quality. The kitties eat Ziwipeak canned as well. One has feline diabetes, so no kibble for them! I'd love to switch all of them to raw, but I don't know if I could stomach it. My little ones will always be on meat based diet. I may be able to be healthy on a vegan diet, but I'm not going to risk their health. Our dogs do get veggies for treats, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We feed our dogs vegan Natural Balance and only buy vegan treats, but, like Monkeytoes, I don't mind if they get the occasional meaty treat from someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

I feed our two cats raw meat-based food most of the time, and canned meat-based food otherwise. I add in fish oil and kelp powder. They get pumpkin as a treat sometimes, or just regular cat treats. I would love to feed them a vegan diet but I don't really think cats are well suited for it. I have toyed with the idea of mixing in a vegan cat food -- maybe 75% meat and 25% vegan -- but they are healthy as things are right now so I am not sure if I should change it.

I'm working on an article about raw food for dogs right now so I've been doing a lot of reading about feeding dogs. I would like to do at least a partially vegan diet if we got a dog.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

Also, Tracie Hotchner has a list of the supermarket brands that have the most protein. Comes in handy when you need food and the pet stores are closed, or when you are broooooke.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

I write for a mag called Good Dog -- I didn't write this, but there's a recipe for vegan doggie treats, as well as an interview with vegan baker Doron Peterson, in a recent issue.

Have any of you ever thought about making homemade treats for your dogs or cats? I've considered it for my kitties. maybe with pumpkin, which they love.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

So this morning I woke to discover that the cats had knocked over a small bottle of olive oil, breaking the lid. And then apparently they ate it? Because the bottle was empty but there wasn't any on the floor.

I'll admit I was glad to not have to clean it up, but I am a bit worried about the poops that will result.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I feed my 2 kitties Blue Buffalo Healthy Living dry food and a little bit of wet Nutro Natural Choice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

My cat gets Wellness Complete Health dry food every day and Blue Buffalo canned food 2-3 times a week. The dog gets Authority. I would switch him to vegan kibble, but he's almost 15 and has myriad skin and digestive issues.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:43 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

terri_to wrote:
Have any of you ever thought about making homemade treats for your dogs or cats? I've considered it for my kitties. maybe with pumpkin, which they love.

I used to make and sell dog treats when I was little (9-10) to raise money for my local SPCA. They weren't vegan, I used powdered milk, but it was a lot of fun. Now my dog has a sensitive stomach and problems keeping weight off, so I don't get to make treats, instead I just toss her carrots while I cook and she is happy.
Also I could only find the interview in your link, do you have a link to the whole issue? I'm always on the look out for more dog magazines.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:26 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Buster has skin allergies and I can't feed him soy, corn, wheat, beef or lamb. He sometimes eats rice, oatmeal and barley but not much because that affects his ears and skin as well. I'd love to feed him vegan but instead it's Taste of the Wild dog food (poultry and veggeis) for him. He does well with only protein and veggies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

ExpiredSanity: seems like that issue isn't available online anymore, sorry! But here's a link to the most recent ones.

My cats are now very soft, I think because they ate all that olive oil.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

my cats are both eating orijen fish kibble and get part of a can of wellness turkey or seafood every night. the older one was on vet prescribed hypoallergenic kibble for ages because he was such a pukey baby, but i think he must have grown out of it, as the orijen didn't bother him at all. i was wanting something to feed both of them, rather than having the hypo and a kitten kibble, and the orijen is suitable for kittens and doesn't have any allergens (or what i'm assuming he was allergic to).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

We are kind of going broke feeding these cats*, and I feel terrible about it but sometimes I am buying the cheaper cat food in a can. Do PPKers think it's better to give them half canned food and half kibble, maybe, assuming I'm buying a higher-quality product for both? And if so, do you have a kibble you suggest?

Sigh, I feel very guilty about it.

(* Not really, we are just broke and also trying to feed these cats.)