| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Orem/Provo and Salt Lake City
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:42 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Hi all,

I'm heading to Orem and SLC for a conference at the end of the month and I'm wondering if you have any food suggestions. Any good dishes or good restaurants we should check out. I've heard about a good pizza place in Orem (Pizzeria 712) but not sure how vegan friendly they are. I've checked out www.sagescafe.com in SLC and it looks promising. Any other ideas?

thanks
Jill

Post subject: Re: Orem/Provo and Salt Lake City
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:06 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

All the places i'm going to mention are in Salt Lake.

I've eaten twice at Sages Cafe and I like it, if you ever are able to come on a Tuesday Sages has a all you can eat pizza and salad tossed in their house made dressing.

The people that own Sages also owns a place called Vertical Diner that specializes more in vegan comfort food.

There's a vegan bakery called Cakewalk that I insist you go to. I've written a blog post on it if you want to know more the link to my blog is in the signature. There's another bakery called City Cakes and Cafe, but I've never been.

I go to a place regularly called O'Falafel Etc. That is Middle Eastern food and specifically says what's vegan on the menu and it has a lot of vegan options.

I've eaten at a place called Oasis Cafe which has a lot of yummy vegan or can be made vegan on their lunch menu. I'm not sure about their dinner though.

Este pizzaria has vegan pizza options. I haven't ate here, but hopefully will soon.

Another Middle Eastern restaurant I love is the Mazza, they have great stuffed grape leaves and a yummy falafel sandwich.

If you like comfort food Blue Plate I've heard is good. I ate there once and got a salad that was good I don't remember what it was though. I love the atmosphere of this place though.

Bombay House is great if you like Indian. I hear there's one in Provo as well as Salt Lake City. I love the vegetable curry.

If raw food fascinates you then go to Omar's Rawtopia. I have yet to try this place. It is a little more pricey, but I hear the portions are plentiful

If you like Mexican there's Rico's Mexican Market. I've only recently found out of this place, so I have no clue the reviews about it. It must be pretty good because they sell frozen food to grocery stores.

Kathmandu is a Indian and Nepali restaurant that has yummy Roti and great food.

That's about all I can think of, but that should be enough hope I helped.

"If I was a celebrity with Twitter, I would totally use it to fork with people" -DangerZone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

LoveandFruits wrote:

I've eaten twice at Sages Cafe and I like it, if you ever are able to come on a Tuesday Sages has a all you can eat pizza and salad tossed in their house made dressing.

Este pizzaria has vegan pizza options. I haven't ate here, but hopefully will soon.

If you like comfort food Blue Plate I've heard is good. I ate there once and got a salad that was good I don't remember what it was though. I love the atmosphere of this place though.

I'll comment on the ones that I know from LoveandFruits' list...

I lived in SLC a while ago (sorry, no help on Provo). I practically lived at Blue Plate during college and still visit every time I go back (my dad eats there when he is in SLC on business now too). I used to eat a Sage's when I lived there, it was good, but I haven't been in 6 years. I ate at Este pizzaria summer 2009... it was solid vegan pizza, I don't remember if they used FYH or Teeze, but they very well could have changed the cheese since I was there. It was yummy though and they serve beer.

I used to eat at Long Life Vegi House (they serve seafood and vegetarian stuff, with some vegan choices). Really, only for the sweet and sour "chicken" and I don't know if it was actually good food or if it was just a lot of food for cheap (I was in college). But that's an option too. I think that Ever Green House Cafe is a better vegetarian/vegan chinese restaurant, it wasn't as close to where I lived though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately we were on our way to SLC and missed them and I didn't check ppk while we were there. But, let me tell you where we went. We went to Pizza 712 in Orem. The service was fantastic and the chef came and took our order and said he'd make a vegan pizza for us. We left the creation up to him and it was fantastic. We also shared a warm farro salad and it was terrific as well. We also enjoyed our meal at Mazza very much (I see you recommended it, LoveandFruits). We were at the 15th and 15th location. It was beautiful setting the food was fantastic. We had fattoush, babaganoush, fatayer, majadera, and of course, their delicious french fries and garlic sauce. soooo yummy. The next morning we went to vertical diner; all vegan breakfast, all day. In a word, heaven. We had blueberry pancakes, tofu scramble, hashbrowns, sausage, biscuits and gravy, and mashed potatoes. Wow, that sounds like a lot of food. We shared our dishes, however, and it kept us going alllllll day. so terrific. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. Possibly the best breakfast ever. Later that night, we headed off to Sage's cafe. I have to say, we were both disappointed. To be fair, we only had about 3 appetizers. We ordered these first and we were going to order entree after apps but we were so meh about the appies, we decided against entrees. We stayed at a fantastic hotel, and we both just wanted to go relax in their great lounge area and enjoy some wine and some more small plates there. I'd certainly go back to Sage's if I'm ever in SLC but was less then thrilled with our 1st courses. All in all, we ate some great food, and the SLC hospitality was amazing. Everyone was so helpful and so warm and friendly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:06 pm 

I'm sorry you didn't like Sage's. I've only tried one of the appetizers there the bruschetta and I rather liked it, but I had it during lunch. Sage's can be slow sometimes, but the two times I've been there the foods always been good so that made of for the slowness.

I'm glad you had a nice time and enjoyed SLC!

"If I was a celebrity with Twitter, I would totally use it to fork with people" -DangerZone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

No, we liked it, it just wasn't as......I don't know....I think I was expecting more high-end dining (read Candle Cafe, Millennium), rather than what they do. The desserts looked great though. Service was great. Overall, we had a great time in SLC. Have you been to Pizzeria 712?? Still thinking about that pizza.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:51 pm 

kecapcrazy wrote:
No, we liked it, it just wasn't as......I don't know....I think I was expecting more high-end dining (read Candle Cafe, Millennium), rather than what they do. The desserts looked great though. Service was great. Overall, we had a great time in SLC. Have you been to Pizzeria 712?? Still thinking about that pizza.

I haven't if I ever get the chance I for sure will!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:13 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I'll be in SLC next week! I'm really excited for Sage's, I've been there before and loved it. I can't wait! Any other suggestions not yet mentioned in this thread?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:07 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I'll put in a good word for Vertical Diner even though it has already been mentioned. It was great. I was hoping to have the chance to get to Sage's. Next time!

In Provo we ate at Guru's. Really good food. Although it's omni, there are vegan options.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

Even though these were all mentioned by LoveandFruits (I think she really went over most of SLC), I want to second The Kathmandu, Mazza, and City Cakes. The Kathmandu has a pretty good Indian/Nepali lunch buffet and their dinner is good as well. I love their okara (bindhi?). The owners would always give me a special dessert for free since normally they just had some type of dairy dessert offered in the buffet.

I tried quite a few things from city cakes and thought their muffins, cinnamon rolls, and peanut butter cup type treat were pretty good.

Finally, I loved eating at mazza most. All of their options are labeled and I love their pita bread.

Also, while the pizza at the sugarhouse Este is pretty good (I think they use teeze), I would avoid it because their customer service sucks asparagus. I liked their pizza so I put up with it for a while, but gave up after they put me on hold for 10 minutes than hung up on me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:30 pm 

Okay I've been to new places now so I can tell you a bit of what I thought

I've been to Este they actually use Diaya on there pizza. I don't like diaya so I wasn't a fan of it. It also took ages for our pizza to be ready! I suggest calling The Pi Pizzeria and asking if they have the vegan cheese in stock instead. There's another pizza place that can do vegan pizza(I don't think they have vegan cheese though) called The Pie Hole or something along those lines.

I've been to City Cakes & Cafe now. They have amazing cookies! and the best vegan cheesecake(it actually has tangyness and is not tofu tasting at all!). Do not get the soft serve from there though! It's way to icy and sweet. If you want soft serve cake walk has the best! Oh and cakewalk now has shakes! Okay back to City Cakes & Cafe I had their black bean burger and it was a little to sweet, but still good. The Mac n' Cheese though is to die for! I crave it a lot!

I've eaten at Omar's Rawtopia very good food and the owner is very nice. I highly suggest the dessert especially if there's pie! I had the nut burger which was very good and came with awesome raw onion rings!

if you want there's two blogs that have reviewed(more then I have) some of Salt Lake City's vegan places to eat: http://amanda-eats-slc.blogspot.com and veganmachine.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:50 pm 

Great! And what about fun stuff to do? Especially nature-y stuff or fun pretty walks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:20 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I was there for skiing which was tons of fun! Whatever you do, though, don't go to Cabela's. A festival of taxidermy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:56 pm 

There's a lot of fun stuff! Let's see there's Red Butte Garden, Antelope Island, tons of hiking trails, and This Is The Place Heritage Park.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm 

Hey SLC! Seabirds is a vegan food truck and they'll be in SLC tomorrow as part of the Food Network Great Food Truck Race. Please go support them and pick up some food! Let's get a vegan to win this!

They'll be at Coffee garden in the AM starting at 10:30. Why not get a line going before they even arrive? That's at 898 E 900 S.

Then they're at PetSmart at 2pm until they run out of food. That's at 389 W 1830 S.

Please spread the word!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:45 am 

Update: ignore my last post. They are serving at Coffee Garden all day on SATURDAY. From 10:30pm to 9pm. Come early to snag a breakfast burrito or quesadilla!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:35 pm 

Of course they're in Salt Lake when I'm going to be out of town. Maybe I'll ask someone to get me something from it and eat there leftovers when I get back Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:24 pm 

They're in the same spot today from 1pm to 8:30pm with an entirely new menu. Has anyone gone?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:15 pm 

They had some challenge so they had to keep changing spots. I eventually caught up with them at Pet Smart. I got some Fried Rice for $10 and my dad got the Cinnamon Sugar Toast $5. Pretty pricey, but it was really good! One of the owners was out playing a uke(somewhat) she was extremely nice and friendly! I really hope they make it through alright.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:24 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'll be coming through SLC with a giant moving truck. Any SLCers have suggestions for a yummy lunch spot where parking a truck would not be impossible?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm 

There is to things coming to mind for lunch when you have a big truck would either be Shanghai Cafe which is veg friendly. They also have a Tibetan I believe restaurant next right next to it that has veg options as well. The other place is the Bombay House. I have never eaten at Shanghai because a lot of there options tend to have a lot of faux meat which I don't like, but i'm sure you can switch with tofu.