| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Los Angeles] Share The Love...
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:29 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I just moved to LA last November and have yet to explore the ins and outs of the vegan scene. Can anyone give me any advice on places to go, restaurants to patronize, or just awesome sights to see?

Also, I was warned heavily by my east coast friends and family that all LAers were mean and cut throat, but I have found everyone to be so nice...I love LA.

Post subject: Re: [Los Angeles] Share The Love...
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

http://quarrygirl.com!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

lamegs wrote:
Also, I was warned heavily by my east coast friends and family that all LAers were mean and cut throat, but I have found everyone to be so nice...I love LA.

I was on the bus the other day and this guy who was visiting kept having loud conversations with people on the phone. He kept saying the same thing to each person. "I don't know what's wrong with these LA people. None of them smile. It's not like NY where you can talk to people. They are all in a bad mood. Maybe it's because there is going to be a big earthquake. Yeah. Like road-splitting, falling into the Pacific ocean. Yeah. Maybe they put something in the water here..."

I thought that was pretty funny because the second I moved to California, I noticed how happy people and relaxed people seemed! LA may be a bit fast-paced, and meeting people who will just strike up a conversation with you may be a little more rare than other parts of the country, but it's a nice place!

Welcome, and I hope you can find some cool vegan people!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:42 pm 
WRETCHED

As a native San Diegan, I never cared for LA much, just not my type of place but California is very diverse so I say go explore. I think city people in general are different and when I moved out of California, I was a bit startled by the fact that people want to chit chat. I don't chit chat. People in the DC area are mostly the same but we also have a wide mix of people and sometimes I adjust to be appear more friendly to them.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:19 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thanks for website, I actually am familiar with the Quarry Girl website. I also totally get what you mean about the chit chat, anyone will talk to you here.

That is pretty hilarious that you overheard that conversation because that is exactly the attitude everyone I know back east has about LA! I can't count how mant times I was told California was going to break off into the ocean...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:21 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

On a sidenote, Graffiti, I love your avatar! El Mac and Retna make awesome work. I love that I see art everywhere I look in the city.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm living in LA at the moment, I've come and gone over the past couple of years. I mainly stick to Hollywood (East, West, all of it) and Silverlake. I've found Flore to be my favorite restaurant, with Real Food Daily second. Pure Luck doesn't really do it for me, though it's a shame it's closing. M Cafe is amazing, I love it.

LA is such a vast city, it's hard to advise. I'd say decide on what part of town you want to explore and then look into the options. Like.....if you want to go to Venice, try SEED. Grab a coffee at Intelligentsia. If you want to hit up Santa Monica, try the RFD there and head to the Pier. Each 'hood in LA has something to offer.

Enjoy exploring!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:36 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thanks so much Alin! I love M Cafe, and eat there all the time. I have been told that Cafe Gratitude is awesome, has anyone tried it?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ack! I keep forgetting that opened up since last Fall when I moved away. I MUST get over there. Thanks for the reminder!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:59 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've been to Cafe Gratitude, I thought it was great! I'm new to LA too (I'm from CT and ME and moved here from Ohio), I arrived last August. I have been pleasantly surprised by this city. It's got a bad reputation for sure! It's actually been nothing like I was expecting, and in a good way. I agree with the suggestion to decide where you're going to be in the city and go from there. Flore is also one of my favorites, along with Seed in Venice, Cru in Silverlake, Tribal Cafe in somewhere near downtown I think?, and Shojin downtown. Definitely go to Shojin if you like sushi, I'm pretty obsessed with it right now. If you're wanting some deep dish, Chicago style pizza, Masa in Echo Park makes a yummy one that can be made vegan. For pho, I had my first bowl here at a place with no name on Sunset in Silverlake that is always packed and I like the two Vietnamese restaurants in Atwater Village (none are all veg).

I like going to fairs/outdoor events. It seems like there is always something going on. The Silverlake Jubilee is next weekend, definitely going to check that out. I'd like to go to some film festival and art walk type things. Also it seems like there are places that show outdoor movies, sounds fun. I'm going to see the flaming lips in the Hollywood Forever cemetery next month and I am super excited about that! Have any of you seen a concert there? There is a vegan beer event coming up if you're into beer, there's info. on the quarrygirl site.

I've explored a lot since I got here, particularly on the east side--Los Feliz, Silverlake, Echo Park, Atwater Village, that area. I really like parts of downtown--love Little Tokyo. We've had lots of people visit, so I've gotten a lot of tour guide experience. I"m about to put it on my resume. I love Topanga Canyon, Venice, and all the beachy areas, but don't know those areas as well. I always bring visitors to the Venice Boardwalk (obviously, I think) and the canals, which I didn't know existed until a few months ago. Some of my favorite places to go/things to do/places to bring people who have never been here: La Brea Tarpits, LACMA (free admission after 5pm every day for LA or maybe all socal residents), Wacko (really cool store/art gallery on Sunset in the Silverlake/Los Feliz area). Griffith Park has tons of trails, etc. I just found the batcave, where they stored the batmobile. There's also a really good picture taking spot of the Hollywood sign right by there for visitors. The observatory (also in Griffith Park) has great views! And a tesla coil! I live near the river and I like to bike on the bike path. I also really like to walk over the river and over the 5 on the footpaths in Atwater Village/Los Feliz. I've found a lot of interesting places that I would never have found otherwise through geocaching, if you're into that. I've walked up (some crazies bike up it!) the steepest hill in LA, it is ridiculous. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. I'd love to hear where/what other people do for fun.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:24 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Awesome, thanks so much for all the info Ilovemountains!

I live right by the tar pits and the Lacma, if you are ever in that area let me know and we can hang out. I found a really awesome beach off the PCH the other day. Its called Matador, and the cliffs are amazing. Not alot of people there either. There is a reggae festival coming up soon I think at UCLA that I might check out.

I really need to go exploring, I always make excuses about time and job stuff but I should just go do it!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

lamegs wrote:
Awesome, thanks so much for all the info Ilovemountains!

I live right by the tar pits and the Lacma, if you are ever in that area let me know and we can hang out. I found a really awesome beach off the PCH the other day. Its called Matador, and the cliffs are amazing. Not alot of people there either. There is a reggae festival coming up soon I think at UCLA that I might check out.

I really need to go exploring, I always make excuses about time and job stuff but I should just go do it!

Matador is one of my favorites! Also, check out Point Dume (recently a little boat washed up on the beach and is pretty neat) and Leo Carillo is pretty neat too. Both of those are near Matador. There is also a neat biker bar/restaurant called Neptune's Net. There's not a lot of vegan options, but I'm pretty sure they have a veggie burger that you can ask if it's vegan. It's mainly fun to hang out there and drink a couple beers, eat some fries, then hit the beach.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:58 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

lamegs wrote:
I live right by the tar pits and the Lacma,

That's a cool location. You aren't too far from the Grove and Erewhon (depending on traffic). Erewhon has a smoothie bar that is indescribable. Just wonderful.

I love LA. There is always something going on. When I go, it is usually during the week though, and I find myself wishing that SD had some of the great activities that are always going on in LA.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This old thread might help: http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=318

Feel free to find me at the links in my signature, I usually know some stuff going on.

I still say L.A. PPK'ers need to meetup.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

lamegs wrote:
I just moved to LA last November and have yet to explore the ins and outs of the vegan scene. Can anyone give me any advice on places to go, restaurants to patronize, or just awesome sights to see?

Im a food critic , I'm very picky for what Im eating especially comes to sushi, it's all Bout the quality, fortunately I got referral get to try one of the sushi catering in southern California . They are totally blow my mind . They have unique dishes I never try anywhere else And their services is awesome . If you are looking for good sushi definitely try www.sushiprivatecater.com you won't regret I'm guarantee it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:06 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Quote:
I love LA. There is always something going on. When I go, it is usually during the week though, and I find myself wishing that SD had some of the great activities that are always going on in LA.

Ugh, SD has tons more going on than Orange county does. I feel like the OC has no culture at all, I have to go to SD or LA to do anything fun (besides hike/beach. awesome hiking here)

I like LA, so many good vegan and vegan friendly places to eat! Unfortunatly, I have exactly 0 vegetarian or vegan friends, so I rarely get to try them. There are a few (small) chains I have been to, that are also in Orange County: Native Foods and Veggie Grill and both are really good.

lamegs I would totally reccomend checking out some hiking around LA, some good stuff. Also there is a flea market in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl that is totally rad. http://www.rgcshows.com/RoseBowl.aspx

I haven't been in a few years, but used to go all the time. Pasadena itself is a pretty cool town too. Some nice wine bars around there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm currently totally in love with Sage Vegan Bistro in Echo Park. The food is original and awesome and there is an adjoining KindKreme. I'm always surprised more people aren't talking about it...

http://sageveganbistro.com/