Job Posting: Grown In Detroit Produce and Marketing Sales Manager
Location: 1418 Michigan Ave., Detroit 48216
Date Posted: December 1, 2010
Salary: $28,800 - $32,000 commensurate with experience plus benefits
Area of Focus: Food Systems, Urban Agriculture, Farmers’ Markets, Retail and
Wholesale Produce Marketing and Sales, Education, The Environment
The Greening of Detroit’s mission is to “guide and inspire the growth of a ‘greener’
Detroit through planting and educational programs, environmental leadership, advocacy,
and by building community capacity.” One of the ways The Greening engages the
community to achieve this mission is through urban gardening and agriculture projects.
Since 2003, The Greening of Detroit has been at the forefront of an emerging movement
to achieve a ‘greener’ city while transforming the food system in Detroit. Our
accomplishments include working with our partners in The Garden Resource Program to
provide farming resources and educational opportunities to over 15,000 urban
gardeners of all ages each year in the cities of Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park.
We operate four unique urban farms to utilize The Greening of Detroit’s urban agriculture
programs as effective small-scale agricultural sites that provide community led, place-
based education, and showcase production based small-farming or gardening models in
The Greening of Detroit is seeking a full- time Produce Marketing and Sales Coordinator
to support our Urban Agriculture Department and urban farmers participating in the
Grown In Detroit cooperative who are producing fruits and vegetables for sale at
farmers’ markets and to local restaurants. In 2010, Grown In Detroit sold regularly at 6
Detroit Farmers’ Markets as well as to local restaurants grossing over $50,000. This
position requires an individual with strong interest in community-driven food systems
and urban agriculture, the experience and willingness to work with diverse groups, and
the ability to collaborate with community organizations. The Produce Marketing and
Sales Coordinator reports to the Urban Farms Operation Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee the marketing and sale of fruits and vegetables grown in urban farms
participating in the Grown in Detroit cooperative. This includes coordinating
farmers’ market and restaurant sales, creating and updating program literature,
monitoring and upholding harvest and post-harvest handling standards and
practices, supervising sales, processing accounts, and recruiting, training, and
supporting participating urban growers.
• Work with Urban Agriculture staff to develop new processing and cooperative use
• Work with Urban Agriculture staff to develop and implement farm plans for
Greening of Detroit operated sites that maximize production to supplement retail
and wholesale sales.
• Oversee harvest, post-harvest handling, and sale of fruits and vegetables grown at
sites operated by The Greening of Detroit.
• Management of other related projects including coordination of u-pick activities at
Greening of Detroit Market Gardens and local produce delivery to a CSA like project
called The Fresh Food Share.
• Project based supervision of staff, AmeriCorps members, and volunteers.
• The ideal candidate will have 2+ years experience selling vegetables, fruit, and
flowers directly to consumers at farmers’ markets or to local restaurants, including
• Experience owning or operating a business including planning, accounting, and
record keeping experience.
• Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers and working with diverse
• Experience teaching youth and/or adults in a farm or garden setting.
• Interest and familiarity with issues relating to local food, food access, and
sustainable agriculture, and a genuine appreciation of the urban environment.
• Strong organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Proficiency in all MS office applications required.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, community development, natural resources, plant
science, or comparable experience.
How to Apply:
Please send email of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Use the job title as the subject line. Only potential interviewees will be contacted. Visit our
website at www.detroitagriculture.org
The Greening of Detroit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.