| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spokane, Washington
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:02 am 
So Totally Yiffy

...Heeyy. So, I'm travelling to America in a day, and I know this is a tad of a late post, but can you guys recommend how to eat vegan in Spokane, Washington?

I'll be living in a hotel with most-likely only a microwave, so grocery shopping isn't much of an option. And I've checked Spokane Vegans, but the website just...confuses...meee. Anywho, if anyone can suggested vegan restaurants/cafes that are inexpensive with the pay of a Russian student or places where you can grab a quick bite to eat and not worry about consuming the bum of a deceased chicken, I'd be immensely grateful.

Suggestions on places to visit for sight seeing would also be much appreciated. :)

Cheers in advance,
Vasilisa S.

Post subject: Re: Spokane, Washington
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've never been, but maybe this page is better? it doesn't seem too confusing...but let us know what's snagging you?
http://spokanevegans.wordpress.com/eating-out/

also jes has this from a couple of years ago:
http://letsgetsconed.blogspot.com/2009/10/semi-recent-vegan-eating-in-spokane-wa.html

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I know this thread is super old, but I'll be in Spokane this weekend. Last time I was there, I was still ovo-lacto. Does anyone have new (or old) suggestions? We're primarily there for a wedding, so a couple of meals are (hopefully) covered. I'm mainly looking for breakfast and lunch options. Thanks!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Boots Bakery & Lounge (https://www.facebook.com/bootsbakerylounge). 100% vegan, mostly GF. Coffee shop with lots of cold case options (salads, etc) and baked goods. Don't miss the carrot cake cupcakes, Allison is famous for them. She also does a killer vegan bloody mary if you're into that sort of thing! Also, banana waffles on the weekend that are so good.

Saranac Public House (http://www.saranacpublichouse.com). I love this place. Their vegan mac and cheese is fantastic, and so is the Thai rice bowl and black bean burger. Whatever you do, get the house made pretzel with the house-made vegan cheese sauce. I can't recommend this place highly enough... it's not a vegan restaurant, but they have quite a few fantastic vegan options and we eat here WAY TOO OFTEN.

Gordy's Sichuan (https://sites.google.com/site/gordyscafe/). The only good Chinese restaurant in Spokane. SO GOOD, and the servers will totally help you make sure your meal is vegan. I recommend the eggplant, the black date chicken with tofu instead of chicken, or the lettuce wraps with tofu.

Pacific Avenue Pizza (http://www.pacificavepizza.com) has Daiya and several vegan meats. They're about a block away from my house and I love them.

Mizuna (http://www.mizuna.com). A little fancier... they have a separate veg menu. They're really nice... they're a little spendy for dinner, but their lunch is very reasonably priced and they have a great atmosphere. Dinner's good too if you're looking for something a tiny bit fancier than pub food!

There's also a cafe in Huckleberry's Natural Market and one in Main Market that have a couple of rotating options that are vegan. If there's anything in particular you are looking for or any particular area you'll be in let me know! Spokane isn't anywhere near perfect, but when I look at this list I realize how far we've come in the last few years as far as vegan options go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:41 am 

Oh, I forgot Queen of Sheba (http://www.queenofshebaspokane.com) if you like ethiopian. All their vegetarian dishes use olive oil rather than butter, so they're vegan! Sometimes the service isn't great, but the food is always wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:55 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Sweet! Thank you so much! Everything you listed sounds awesome.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:23 pm 

You're welcome! I hope you have a great time. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zensquiggle wrote:
Oh, I forgot Queen of Sheba (http://www.queenofshebaspokane.com) if you like ethiopian. All their vegetarian dishes use olive oil rather than butter, so they're vegan! Sometimes the service isn't great, but the food is always wonderful.

Huh, I had no idea about the olive oil.

Also, probably too late at this point, but for future reference, Red Dragon downtown has a separate vegan menu. The place looks like a total dive from the outside, but the food is decent if you're in the mood for greasy American Chinese cuisine. Neato Burrito is like a hipster Chipotle. Stellas will do pretty much any sandwich you want vegan. The tofu bahn mi is good. Central Foods usually has a decent vegan option or two on the menu. Manito Tap House on the South Hill doesn't have a huge vegan selection, but the Comstock Quinoa ordered with blackened tofu is tasty. And they have a ton of beer and cider on tap. And I second Boots and Saranac, especially the Thai vegan flatbread at the latter.

There are several places around town that advertise vegan options, but I've found rather disappointing. Sante, for example, will veganize their Palouse lentils for you, but you're paying $17 for a dinner of lentils. E.J.'s Bistro served me undercooked pasta floating in a pool of unseasoned olive oil. And Huckleberry's Bistro ... For some reason, I keep going back, hoping beyond hope, that this time they won't give me food poisoning or get my order wrong or make me squeeze my car between clueless hippies that can't park worth shiitake...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 pm 

hoveringdog™ wrote:
Red Dragon downtown has a separate vegan menu. The place looks like a total dive from the outside, but the food is decent if you're in the mood for greasy American Chinese cuisine.
I actually really like their Hillyard location. It's totally greasy Americanized Chinese, but H-Dog's right... there's a WHOLE SEPARATE VEGAN MENU.
hoveringdog™ wrote:
Stellas will do pretty much any sandwich you want vegan. The tofu bahn mi is good.
Another really good recommendation that I forgot! I really love their BBQ pulled tofu.
hoveringdog™ wrote:
E.J.'s Bistro served me undercooked pasta floating in a pool of unseasoned olive oil.
Oh man, I know the owner of EJ's (I live in Browne's Addition) and she was talking a while back about improving their vegan options. Unfortunately the last time I was there I had a mediocre hummus plate and a server who told me all about how he was vegetarian for ten years then he moved to Denver and had to start eating meat again because of the altitude, and that first steak was like coming home to an old girlfriend... oh, and he hid some animal fat in the olives in my martini, har-di-har-har. Ugh.

H-Dog, I assume you've been up to Rocket Market on the South Hill? Usually when I am hungry and go by Huckleberrys I just keep driving up the hill and have a vegan Carlito burrito and marinated mushrooms at Rocket Market instead.

Oh! And Brain Freeze Creamery is doing vegan ice cream now, in case you haven't heard yet! At the moment, Cannon Coffee and Cone has the vanilla and The Scoop has strawberry.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:30 am 
Huffs Nooch

Hmm... I could have sworn that I'd replied to this. I lived in Spokane when I was a kid & am long overdue for a visit. Might any of you fine folks be interested in meeting up whenever I do head up that way?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zensquiggle wrote:
Oh man, I know the owner of EJ's (I live in Browne's Addition) and she was talking a while back about improving their vegan options. Unfortunately the last time I was there I had a mediocre hummus plate and a server who told me all about how he was vegetarian for ten years then he moved to Denver and had to start eating meat again because of the altitude, and that first steak was like coming home to an old girlfriend... oh, and he hid some animal fat in the olives in my martini, har-di-har-har. Ugh.

We also had rather ... interesting ... service when we were there. It's a shame since the location is so awesome. And I've heard the cocktails are good.

Quote:
H-Dog, I assume you've been up to Rocket Market on the South Hill? Usually when I am hungry and go by Huckleberrys I just keep driving up the hill and have a vegan Carlito burrito and marinated mushrooms at Rocket Market instead.

I haven't stopped by there yet. Just moved from downtown to the South Hill a couple months ago, so I usually just went to the Main Market Co-op. I'll have to check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:31 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Woah, I really need to head to Spokane sometime. I had no idea there was so much vegan food going on and I can't even tell you how much I miss Ethiopian food!

I also heard that there is an Asian grocery store, can anyone confirm that? We recently moved to Missoula, MT which is awesome, but sorely lacking in its non-typical-American food offerings. If you can't find it at Rosauer's you probably can't find it anywhere in the city. I heard from someone at the hfs here that everyone goes to Spokane or Coeur d'Alene for harder to find stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:50 am 

Catalina wrote:
I also heard that there is an Asian grocery store, can anyone confirm that?
We have two... one on Division (Asian World) and one on Sprague (Bay Market/Best Asian Market).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm 

cascadianvegan wrote:
Hmm... I could have sworn that I'd replied to this. I lived in Spokane when I was a kid & am long overdue for a visit. Might any of you fine folks be interested in meeting up whenever I do head up that way?

Message me if you do head this way... if I'm available I'd be glad to meet up for food and a visit!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:38 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks zen! I'm not sure when it'll be yet but I'll almost certainly be coming through sometime in the next handful of months. The food options above look good - any general tips on what to see & do in or near Spokane?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Feed the garbage goat!
http://spokaneriverfrontpark.com/index. ... /page/554/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:07 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hehe! Thats actually the thing my kids remember best about Spokane *and* I remember feeding the goat when I was kid: 30ish years ago! Riverfront Park in general plays strongly in my Spokane memories...

But whats new in the past 10-15 years? What are some good places to hang out & meet friendly folks? How about day trips & cool places to check in the general region?

I'm thinking to do a trip that includes stops in Walla Walla & Spokane in WA, the Nelson / Kootenai area of BC & maybe as far over as Glacier & Missoula in MT before heading back to Oregon via Moscow & Boise in ID. Tips for anywhere in & along that general route are very welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Depends what you're into, I guess. Aunties often has book-related events going on, there's the Saranac gallery downtown (right across from the vegan place, Boots), Merlyn's has open gaming most evenings if you're into that, Atticus is a nice place for coffee and hanging out, and there's the MAC in Browne's Addition. If you're bringing (or willing to rent) a bike the centennial trail is a great ride, about 70 miles round trip if you take it all the way from Riverfront Park to Coeur d'Alene.