| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bremen, Germany
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hi.

I'll be in Bremen for a few days in August. I have looked at HappyCow and am excited to see there's some sort of vegan bratwurst stand on Tuesdays, that we'll be there for. Has anyone been? Any other tips?

Post subject: Re: Bremen, Germany
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:11 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

When in August? Groningen is only a few hours away by train. Maybe I could come and visit a bit with you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:21 am 

It's 1st to 3rd, but it's a football trip so much as I'd love a meeting, the trips are always with a big group and taken up with drinking! I don't even always get away to find vegan food properly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:11 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Too bad - if you were there on a Friday, there is a vegan buffet at a place called Sielwallhaus. There also used to be vegan brunch every other Sunday, but I have no idea if that is still around.

Other than that, I believe a thai restaurant named Mekong (Vor dem Steintor 152, Bremen) has vegetarian options and will make vegan dishes on request. The area where the restaurant is located is great to hang out anyway!! There are plenty of Falafel places on that street, and also an ice cream placed called 'Eislabor' who has vegan options. Suppkultur (http://suppkultur.com/ - a soup place) has at least one vegan soup every day.
Oh, and there is a little farmer's market at Ostertor/ Ulrichsplatz (same street as Vor dem Steintor) and there's a mobile vegan snack cart on Tuesdays from 1 - 6:30 pm (Veganbar -http://www.veganbar.de/ ).

Hope this helps - my boyfriend used to live in Bremen (on that street Vor dem Steintor) hence my random knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:00 am 

That's all fabulous info, thanks. I know my non vegan friends I'm going with love falafels too so hopefully I can drag us to that area.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:29 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

You will absolutely spend time in the "Viertel" as that is the party mile and indie shopping district and food area galore. Fine vegan dining is not to be had at all in Bremen, unfortunately. It makes me sad repeatedly. Nonetheless, here's the scoop:
You can get vegan hot dogs all day long seven days a week at the little Bratwurststand on Vor dem Steintor (street name) corner Sielwall. It is right next to a drink shop and sells meaty, vegetarian and vegan hot dogs. Specifically ask for a vegan one as they use different buns and sausages. On that same street a bit further towards the Weserstadion (but really close to the hot dog stand basically diagonally opposite) you see a burger place that has a white sign on the door saying VEGAN? They sell 3 types of vegan burgers but I haven't had any yet.
Veganbar like aileenw. said has crepes with chocolate spread, voener and some baked goods. Lines can be quite long though. They do not sell Bratwurst anymore!
There is also a chain, "Sushi Factory" on that same street where you can get veggie sushi, as well as an Alnatura organic supermarket.
For coffee with soymilk, Coffee Corner right on Sielwall sells it but I find their hot chocolate to be a little bitter (I do not like coffee). Nicer is Cantina Publica, also on Sielwall, it's on your right if you follow that street towards the river Weser. Their opening times are tedious (only till 19.00 and never on Sundays) but their hot chocolate (choose the "simple" version without whipped cream) is SO.GOOD. And definitely try Eislabor, the vegan versions are all fruit-based and labeled with a v.

Towards the city centre inside the public library there's Emmi (Am Wall), another fabulous soup place with more vegan choices than Suppkultur (some soups contain meat or fish so watch out). They usually label the soups but you can also ask. I just had a clearly labeled homemade vegan pastry today, too. They open Mo-Sat at 11.00 and are real busy during lunch. Excellent soups and salads (pasta salad, potato salad). Cookies are only 0,80€! I eat there several times a week, that's how much I like them.
Two chains are in Knochenhauerstraße in the city centre (near tram stations Schuesselkorb or Herdentor): Vapiano for Italian food and COA for Asian fusion food. Vapiano has vegan-friendly pasta dishes (all pasta itself should not contain eggs) if you choose the tomato-based sauces or the garlic and oil version. Bruschetta and salad without cheese also work.
COA sells a lot of their food with egg but have some soups or an excellent papaya-avocado salad. Both have main courses around 9€.

If you can't get away for real food but are wandering through the city centre you can find vegan snacks at dm drugstore (tram stop Am Brill), Rossmann drugstores, Turkish or Asian shops, Reformhaus (there is one near the big church)...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:20 am 

Superb. I'm really looking forward to this trip now. A hotel has been booked so I'm off to google maps to find out how close I am to any of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 am 

I have maps with food places marked! It looks like the weather will be good while we're there. Apart from food, what are the best things to do in Bremen? We'll be in bars a lot of the time I think, but we arrive early, is there some nice place to sit in the sun and just chat?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:22 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

anywhere along the river Weser! In good weather it is packed on the Osterdeich, it's all grass right next to the river. You can also take the 1-minute ferry ride to the other side where the beach is sandy. This is the street leading up to the Weserstadion (Osterdeich), you can enter the "Viertel" at the crossing Osterdeich/Sielwall, too, to grab the hot dogs and such. This would also be where I would look for cafés if you prefer that to grass and beer!
Bremen is perfect for bike rides, but since you said you won't have time just walking along the river works well. For a busier experience you can also walk that same river bank into the opposite direction, towards Schlachte (this is also where many bars are). The city center has the famous UNESCO sights, of course, such as the old Rathaus and the Roland. Near the market square is the Böttchergasse where you can see a quaint Glockenspiel at 12.00 and 15.00 (I believe).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 am 

I had a fabulous time in Bremen. The weather was very good. I didn't get chance to try all the places I wanted to but I was expecting that. Our hotel was right opposite the station and I was surprised to find a health shop there selling lots of vegan food. A good start to the trip.

On the first night I ate at Vegefarm which was pretty good. On matchday we were out near the river and I ended up having fajitas somewhere which were OK, and after the match I grabbed some falafel, which weren't brilliant. I tried to get something at that burger stand but although it was clearly open the man said it was closed so they either didn't have any or the man couuldn't be bothered. The falafel were fine. On the last day I ended up not getting anything to eat but that was entirely my fault for deciding to stay by the river in the bar.

I stumbled across loads of health shops and I especially liked Al Natura. And in the big department store in the centre the food place seemed to have tofu dishes and various other things that looked vegan.

I really loved Bremen, the Schnoor area and the Old Town. The only disappointing thing was the football, which we lost and was rubbish!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Glad you liked it! I love Bremen too... but have never tried any of the veggie places, I usually stay at a friends place. Did you see the Christmas Shoppe?