| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm visiting Farm Sanctuary (NY)...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:26 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

...and I'm staying near Watkins Glen for a few days. What should I do when I'm not hanging around cute animals? I checked out some of the activities listed on the Farm Sanctuary site, can anyone recommend any of them? I know Ithaca is a fun town, but I would prefer to stay in the area. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything.

"They say "Plants react to light" Wait plants photosynthesize? Holy crepe! "Plants react to negative stimuli" plants grow back when they've been cut? Sweet baby Jesus, hand me some bacon QUICK!" nickvicious

Post subject: Re: I'm visiting Farm Sanctuary (NY)...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hike up the gorge at the state park!
Hike up to the fire tower from the farm!
Get drunk at Rooster Fish!

That's about it. There's really nothing to do there. Where are you staying?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:59 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks, hiking is good! I'm staying at the Ginger Cat B&B.

"They say "Plants react to light" Wait plants photosynthesize? Holy crepe! "Plants react to negative stimuli" plants grow back when they've been cut? Sweet baby Jesus, hand me some bacon QUICK!" nickvicious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:12 am 
Semen Strong

The Grist Mill has amazing tempeh apple reubens. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... _York.html

One place I'm dying to try is Geka's Soul: http://www.yelp.com/biz/gekas-soul-vege ... ant-elmira

The Stonecat came highly recommended if you like local wines and they have a gorgeous terrace and serve one big vegan entree but have more options on the bar menu. I ate the falafel at the bar and it was good. http://www.stonecatcafe.com/Site/Home.html

I can't recommend Ithaca enough. Our visit coincided with crazy rainstorms, so we went to Ithaca and ate at Food for the Planet which is all vegan and so good we ate their twice because OMG SO GOOD, at a great Mexican place with Tuxedo Cat, amazing vegan ice-cream at Purity.... Plus Ithaca has such incredible waterfalls, and is so pretty. Check out Tuxedocat's blog for more: http://tuxedocat.us/ She and her husband were amazing and kind and really made our visit special.

Gita Devi of the Ginger Cat is so nice, and I bet she'll point you in the perfect direction!

Also: http://www.farmsanctuary.org/pdf/FS%20D ... -11-11.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:58 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

+1 for hiking the gorge at the state park!

There are many, many winiries and a few breweries/spirits makers along Seneca Lake if you're into that kind of thing.

As has already been mentioned - Ithaca and Elmira aren't too far away. My grandparents lived in Elmira so I know it fairly well, there isn't too much there but if you do go to eat at Geka's Soul check out Harris Hill - it's an adorable (tiny) amusement park with an old mini golf course, games (ski-ball!!) etc. Also in the Harris Hill area is the Soaring Center, where you can take glider rides (or just watch).

Corning Museum of Glass also isn't too far from WG and can be kind of interesting too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I 110% agree with everything 'fulish said.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:29 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm super excited to try Geka's Soul, it sounds amazing. Nicole, that amusement park seems really fun! I can't wait to go up there and go exploring now. Tofulish, thanks for those links, they were really helpful!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

We just got back from Watkins Glen a few weeks ago.

If you have time I would recommend a trip to Corning. Thali of India is a great place. It is a cute little town with a nice Main st, the st. that Thali is on. It may not be "main" st.

The Gorge is beautiful. I recommend doing the whole hike as most people stop 1/2 way in and therefore the crowds die down as you continue.

We ate at Moosewood in Ithaca. To be honest I wasn't all that impressed. They have about 5 entrees each day, 2 of which were vegan when we were there.

I would really recommend Harvest Cafe in Montour Falls (5-10 mins from Watkins Glen). They are only open for dinner on Thursdays but they have a few great options. Their pizza was great!!

Geka's Soul was good. The owner is so sweet. However, there didn't seem to be too much "soul" about it at least in comparison to Soul Veg (DC) and the soul place in Baltimore (Sorry the name is escaping me). Very large, filling meals. Pretty good overall. Rather far from Watkins Glen, however. Not in the best of neighborhoods but also not too bad.

Have fun!! Say hi to Tim and Fiona (piggies), Samuel (cow), Cerilla (black cat) and Joey (goat) for me! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:45 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

sprout wrote:
We just got back from Watkins Glen a few weeks ago.

If you have time I would recommend a trip to Corning. Thali of India is a great place. It is a cute little town with a nice Main st, the st. that Thali is on. It may not be "main" st.

The Gorge is beautiful. I recommend doing the whole hike as most people stop 1/2 way in and therefore the crowds die down as you continue.

We ate at Moosewood in Ithaca. To be honest I wasn't all that impressed. They have about 5 entrees each day, 2 of which were vegan when we were there.

I would really recommend Harvest Cafe in Montour Falls (5-10 mins from Watkins Glen). They are only open for dinner on Thursdays but they have a few great options. Their pizza was great!!

Geka's Soul was good. The owner is so sweet. However, there didn't seem to be too much "soul" about it at least in comparison to Soul Veg (DC) and the soul place in Baltimore (Sorry the name is escaping me). Very large, filling meals. Pretty good overall. Rather far from Watkins Glen, however. Not in the best of neighborhoods but also not too bad.

Have fun!! Say hi to Tim and Fiona (piggies), Samuel (cow), Cerilla (black cat) and Joey (goat) for me! :)

Thanks for the recommendations! It seems like there are lots of places for me to check out. And I will definitely say hi to the animals!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

If you get near Syracuse which is about 90 minutes from there. I would suggest you go to Strong Hearts Cafe, they are an all vegan cafe. Great food. I had the reuben, it was amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

+1 on the stonecat suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:38 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Has anyone been to Felicia's Atomic Lounge in Ithaca?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
The Grist Mill has amazing tempeh apple reubens. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... _York.html

One place I'm dying to try is Geka's Soul: http://www.yelp.com/biz/gekas-soul-vege ... ant-elmira

The Stonecat came highly recommended if you like local wines and they have a gorgeous terrace and serve one big vegan entree but have more options on the bar menu. I ate the falafel at the bar and it was good. http://www.stonecatcafe.com/Site/Home.html

I can't recommend Ithaca enough. Our visit coincided with crazy rainstorms, so we went to Ithaca and ate at Food for the Planet which is all vegan and so good we ate their twice because OMG SO GOOD, at a great Mexican place with Tuxedo Cat, amazing vegan ice-cream at Purity.... Plus Ithaca has such incredible waterfalls, and is so pretty. Check out Tuxedocat's blog for more: http://tuxedocat.us/ She and her husband were amazing and kind and really made our visit special.

Gita Devi of the Ginger Cat is so nice, and I bet she'll point you in the perfect direction!

Also: http://www.farmsanctuary.org/pdf/FS%20D ... -11-11.pdf

Thanks for the kind words Tofulish! We enjoyed hanging out with you and your hubs and wish we had more time together! I concur with everything you recommend here. I've also reviewed some local restaurants on my blog if the OP wants to check them out.

Unfortunately, Food for the Planet has closed down since your last visit Tofulish. Some of our favorite places to eat out (that have vegan options) in Ithaca are: Viva Taqueria (as you mentioned TF), Just a Taste, Taste of Thai, Purity, and Sweet Melissa's Ice Cream.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:22 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Your reviews were very helpful TuxedoCat! I can't wait to visit all of these places. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ithaca is awesome! Not as pretty as Watkins Glenn, but we've got several state parks as well. Buttermilk is quite nice. A decent amount of fun eating. Plus Farmers Market is a must if you're here over a weekend.

(TuxedoCat, we totally need to meet up or something eventually, despite my ridiculous work schedule. Susietofumoster is also back in town now...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

simplybecause81 wrote:
Ithaca is awesome! Not as pretty as Watkins Glenn, but we've got several state parks as well. Buttermilk is quite nice. A decent amount of fun eating. Plus Farmers Market is a must if you're here over a weekend.

(TuxedoCat, we totally need to meet up or something eventually, despite my ridiculous work schedule. Susietofumoster is also back in town now...)

There is another Ithaca Vegan Drinks event in the works. I'll make sure to post about it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I had a great time. I went to the Crooked Rooster, the Stonecat Cafe (which was amazing) and a few other places. Farm Sanctuary was great. And Gita at the Ginger Cat was super nice. I wish I was there for longer as I didn't get to do everything I wanted. I can't wait to go back! I'll post pics soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:24 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm going to be in Ithaca for a conference in a few weeks. This is all great info.